• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

RCCL Now Charging $10pp Fee for Dreamworks Breakfast

FigmentGal96

One Little Spark
Based on what I'm seeing over on the Cruise Critic boards, Royal Caribbean is now charging $10pp for anyone age 6 or over to book/attend the Dreamworks character breakfast that was previously "complimentary." This is effective May 1, 2014. Lucky me, I'm booked on a May sailing with my child, and I am seeing this new fee in my online pre-cruise planner. RCCL also does not provide any information as to which characters will appear at each breakfast, and they do not all appear at each breakfast. The breakfast is in one portion of the main dining room. The menu is the same as the standard MDR menu. You're paying $10pp for the character interaction, and you have no idea if you'll get to see the characters your child wants to see. This is a disappointing choice by RCCL, and yet another reason to consider paying the premium to cruise Disney.

Based on what I'm seeing over on the Cruise Critic boards, Royal Caribbean is now charging $10pp for anyone age 6 or over to book/attend the Dreamworks character breakfast that was previously "complimentary." This is effective May 1, 2014. Lucky me, I'm booked on a May sailing with my child, and I am seeing this new fee in my online pre-cruise planner. RCCL also does not provide any information as to which characters will appear at each breakfast, and they do not all appear at each breakfast. The breakfast is in one portion of the main dining room. The menu is the same as the standard MDR menu. You're paying $10pp for the character interaction, and you have no idea if you'll get to see the characters your child wants to see. This is a disappointing choice by RCCL, and yet another reason to consider paying the premium to cruise Disney.

Well, if your child really wants to see Puss 'n Boots, booking a Disney cruise isn't going to make that happen either. :coffee:

In all seriousness, if character interaction is that important then you're right...Disney might be better. But there is a significantly higher 'price' to that character interaction. Last time I checked, the fares for Disney were a lot higher than just $10pp more than RCL.

Just because a cruise line charges for something another 'includes' in the fare doesn't make the 'charging' cruise line terrible. It means that you only pay for what you want, and sometimes that's a preferable choice for those of us not interested in characters at breakfast.

When I sailed on RCCL a few weeks ago, there were times and characters listed who would be available listed for photo opp Puss n boots, kung Fu panda etc. Plus, there should be a character parade.

Yes, there are plenty of opportunities to interact with these characters at other times. No one said RCCL was terrible, and no one is ever forced into a character breakfast. What's disappointing is the way RCCL chose to handle this. I think people would be very willing to pay $10pp for a guaranteed character interaction (much they way they do at WDW), but the lack of information is a disincentive. Just a heads up for any families making RCCL plans. Think about adding this into your budget if it's important to you, or arrange your schedule to get to characters at another time.

. . . You're paying $10pp for the character interaction, and you have no idea if you'll get to see the characters your child wants to see. This is a disappointing choice by RCCL, and yet another reason to consider paying the premium to cruise Disney.
Last October, we saw the Dreamworks Breakfast off in a corner of the MDR. The kids looked pretty happy. Probably worth $10.

Woody

. . . Just because a cruise line charges for something another 'includes' in the fare doesn't make the 'charging' cruise line terrible.
Agreed. Also, there are some things offered on DCL that I'm glad are not offered by other cruise lines. For example, at the Disney Fantasy's Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique:

Royal Sea Package

Duration 45 min x 3
Price $595.00 (Ages 3 - 12)

The most magical makeover experience offered at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, the Royal Sea Package includes 3 pampering packages: the Castle, Under the Sea and Deluxe Maiden packages. Guests receive a framed photo and a traveling tote with Disney Cruise Line adventure stickers. Plus, on the first night of your cruise, your little princess will receive a very special stateroom delivery—a glass slipper and glass slipper necklace with royal invitation to Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique!

Woody

you have no idea if you'll get to see the characters your child wants to see. This is a disappointing choice by RCCL, and yet another reason to consider paying the premium to cruise Disney.

The DCL cruises we can/will afford don't have character breakfasts at all. And you don't KNOW who will be on the ship until you're on the ship and looking at the Navigators for the day.

We did the Dreamworks breakfast. Saw Fiona, Po, and Puss and Boots. The character interaction was decent. The number of people at our seating was very small.

The food, however, was horrid. The service was dreadful; it was our only time of bad service on the ship. We were not planning on doing this breakfast again even for free, and now that they'll be charging we'll definitely not be back (to the character meal! we'll be on RCCL again, definitely).

We had to go up to Windjammers to have breakfast after having breakfast, that's how scanty the food was and how bad the food they did give us was. Chocolate breakfast breads that tasted like chemicals...so weird. And even the most basic "over easy" eggs were bad, not like the ones made *for you*, right there, at Windjammer...

The DCL character breakfasts aren't all that wonderful. They have Mickey and Minnie, Donald, Pluto, Goofy, and Chip and Dale. No princesses or princes.

And the food was the worst breakfast I've had on a DCL cruise.

My kids are too old for character visits, regardless of cruise line. Personally, I like the a la carte pricing that seems to be expanding across all cruise lines. If I don't want to participate, I don't have to pay for it.

On DCL, I'm paying for character visits - which I don't do, first run Disney movies - which I rarely see, soda - which I don't drink, etc.

I like the option of for fee restaurants, when I'm not with my kids we do more of these. Drink packages are great when I'm with DH and enjoy more cocktails than I typically do if I have the kids along. Spa upgrade? You bet...again, when I'm not with the kids. Pictures? Sure I want pics of the kids and maybe one on formal night with DH but certainly not if I'm solo.

My travel habits are different depending on who I'm with. I don't necessarily spend less money if traveling alone or with DH, I just spend it on different things.

Update: RCCL has postponed implementation of the $10pp fee until bookings made after September 1, 2014.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter