• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

RCCL Freedom of the seas: Items you loved the most

pepe3penelope

Princess Ariel at Heart
Soooo excited to go on Freedom of the Seas Western caribbean for Thanksgiving Week. We are used to DCL and trying Royal Caribbean for the first time. Booked for a junior suite on deck 10 aft (far aft, rear of ship).

I was wondering what everyone most enjoyed about their Freedom of the Seas cruise from the room service, embarkation & debarkation, MDR (especially My Time Dining if our waitlist request for early dining doesn't come thru), kids clubs (kids will be DD 7 & DS 3.5), Labadee, sail away party, Royal Promenade, stores available, soda packages, sorrentos (fee or no fee), cafe promenade (fee or no fee), etc.

Actually, I'd greatly appreciate any advice! TIA! :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Have you looked into My Family Time dining? Seating at 5:30 (at least on our sailing).

Are you asking *if* Sorrentos and Cafe Promenade are fee or no fee? Or just opinions either way?

DS's favorite thing on the ship was all the chocolate Ben&Jerrys ice cream he had. The more we went the more the employee got to know him/us, and the more generous the guy got. Towards the end of the cruise DS ordered a chocolate milkshake, and the employee put SIX scoops of ice cream in it. :eek: DS loved the guy. :)

We liked our espresso drinks from what I consider to be Cafe Promenade (but I think officially it's called Lattetudes). Again, the more we ordered from them, the more they got to know us.

The few goodies we got from Cafe P were OK, but not spectacular. I think the lemon poppyseed muffin was the best.

DS had Sorrentos pizza a couple times. He was back and forth on it.

Stores...nothing really special there in our opinions. They had some souvenir shirts and I was able to buy a big floppy sunhat when I just didn't want to wear my running cap. They had little christmas tree ornaments of the ship. Oh and if someone wants a pretty, blingy, lanyard for their SeaPass card, they had them for 9.99. And they'll punch a hole in your card perfectly over at Guest Services.

Speaking of lanyards, Adventure Ocean has them too, and they will also punch a hole in the card for the kids so the card can go on the lanyard. Not sure if the 3 year old will get that, but the 7 year old, definitely.

I think we avoided the SailAway party. Not sure why. It wasn't really our "thing" on DCL, and we decided it probably wouldn't be on RCCL either. And I think we were exploring.

We got the Replenish package, and we didn't take advantage of it enough. Didn't even break even. We drank espresso drinks, had bottled waters, and DH had some fresh-squeezed OJs in the morning. We forgot about the sparkling water and didn't realize the ingredients in the virgin frozen drinks were OK for DH so missed those, too.

If your family drinks soda, the plain old soda package is pretty much a no-brainer. You get a cup (you get it with the Replenish package too, and it's now my water cup...it actually keeps water just as cool, if not cooler, as my DCL Tervis cup does) and the Freestyle machines are...let's see I saw one right near Sorrento's, and then there's also one in the arcade. And the arcade is what you have to go through to get the 7 year old from his kid club. Noisy noisy. And tempting.

OH, if you guys like arcade games, be sure to check the Compass to see if there's a Free Family Arcade! On our sailing it was Day 1 from 7-8. All of the classic games were FREE for that hour. Not the big machines, and not the machines that give tickets (for prizes that you get from another machine), but Donkey Kong, Pac Man, etc. Fun. And free. But of course then it just whets the appetite of the videogame lovers in the household.... (it's like they know what they're doing, LOL)

Have you looked into My Family Time dining? Seating at 5:30 (at least on our sailing). Are you asking *if* Sorrentos and Cafe Promenade are fee or no fee? Or just opinions either way? DS's favorite thing on the ship was all the chocolate Ben&Jerrys ice cream he had. The more we went the more the employee got to know him/us, and the more generous the guy got. Towards the end of the cruise DS ordered a chocolate milkshake, and the employee put SIX scoops of ice cream in it. :eek: DS loved the guy. :) We liked our espresso drinks from what I consider to be Cafe Promenade (but I think officially it's called Lattetudes). Again, the more we ordered from them, the more they got to know us. The few goodies we got from Cafe P were OK, but not spectacular. I think the lemon poppyseed muffin was the best. DS had Sorrentos pizza a couple times. He was back and forth on it. Stores...nothing really special there in our opinions. They had some souvenir shirts and I was able to buy a big floppy sunhat when I just didn't want to wear my running cap. They had little christmas tree ornaments of the ship. Oh and if someone wants a pretty, blingy, lanyard for their SeaPass card, they had them for 9.99. And they'll punch a hole in your card perfectly over at Guest Services. Speaking of lanyards, Adventure Ocean has them too, and they will also punch a hole in the card for the kids so the card can go on the lanyard. Not sure if the 3 year old will get that, but the 7 year old, definitely. I think we avoided the SailAway party. Not sure why. It wasn't really our "thing" on DCL, and we decided it probably wouldn't be on RCCL either. And I think we were exploring. We got the Replenish package, and we didn't take advantage of it enough. Didn't even break even. We drank espresso drinks, had bottled waters, and DH had some fresh-squeezed OJs in the morning. We forgot about the sparkling water and didn't realize the ingredients in the virgin frozen drinks were OK for DH so missed those, too. If your family drinks soda, the plain old soda package is pretty much a no-brainer. You get a cup (you get it with the Replenish package too, and it's now my water cup...it actually keeps water just as cool, if not cooler, as my DCL Tervis cup does) and the Freestyle machines are...let's see I saw one right near Sorrento's, and then there's also one in the arcade. And the arcade is what you have to go through to get the 7 year old from his kid club. Noisy noisy. And tempting. OH, if you guys like arcade games, be sure to check the Compass to see if there's a Free Family Arcade! On our sailing it was Day 1 from 7-8. All of the classic games were FREE for that hour. Not the big machines, and not the machines that give tickets (for prizes that you get from another machine), but Donkey Kong, Pac Man, etc. Fun. And free. But of course then it just whets the appetite of the videogame lovers in the household.... (it's like they know what they're doing, LOL)

Thanks for the input! I've been reading various posts and I also wanted to get different opinions about what people liked on FOTS. Sometimes I couldn't tell if certain restaurants were included or required a fee (sorrentos, cafe promenade, Ben and Jerry's). I know there's a charge for chops grille. I know windjammer is free.

Is My Family Time dining different than My Time Dining? We like having a scheduled daily dinner slot, especially because I've read that if u have My Time Dining the serving teams may vary so service level may be questionable. and if I request a certain team some families have waited 30 minutes to be seated. We are on the waitlist for 5:30 or 6pm (can't remember exact time right now)

I think I'm also just way too excited to be on a cruise again!

Is My Family Time dining different than My Time Dining? We like having a scheduled daily dinner slot, especially because I've read that if u have My Time Dining the serving teams may vary so service level may be questionable. and if I request a certain team some families have waited 30 minutes to be seated. We are on the waitlist for 5:30 or 6pm (can't remember exact time right now)

We sailed FOS in December, 2013 and had My Time Dining at 5:45. We had the same table and same great servers every night. We made this request upon leaving dinner on the first night and we were accommodated. We arrived right on time every night and were immediately seated.

Following! We are also sailing RCI for the first time on FOS (in October) also am only familiar with DCL.

Will me myself, DH , DS(15), DSL (11), DD(7) in a family ocean view room. Cant wait to see everyone's advice!

Thanks for the input! I've been reading various posts and I also wanted to get different opinions about what people liked on FOTS. Sometimes I couldn't tell if certain restaurants were included or required a fee (sorrentos, cafe promenade, Ben and Jerry's). I know there's a charge for chops grille. I know windjammer is free.

I think I'm also just way too excited to be on a cruise again!

Yes, My Family Time is different. It is a reserved spot, it's the very first seating. The intention is like DCL's "dine&play", with the kids getting served quickly and then running off to the kid's clubs. That never happened at our table, except the tablemates' teen did leave early about half of the evenings (but he was a foodie so he always finished the meal...he just didn't dawdle). With MyTime you pay tips in advance, with your cruise fare. With normal seating and My Family Time you don't have to.

Sorrento's...the food is included in the cruise fare. Same with Cafe Promenade. At CP you can get DRIP coffee, self-serve, in the cafe seating area. If you want anything else, there's a fee. And I'm actually not sure what Sorrento's would charge for, but there will be signage. I see from a picture that they have "beer" prominently displayed; there would be a charge for that. :)

B&J definitely has a charge, but no worse than a land-based ice cream shop. Yes you can get soft serve up on the pool deck, but for us the ingredients of B&J for the most part are better than a random "soft serve", so we went with the extra charge and didn't regret it. Their chocolate ice cream is really good. :)

. . . At CP you can get DRIP coffee, self-serve, in the cafe seating area. If you want anything else, there's a fee.

. . . Yes you can get soft serve up on the pool deck, but for us the ingredients of B&J for the most part are better than a random "soft serve", so we went with the extra charge and didn't regret it. Their chocolate ice cream is really good.
I would just add that at Cafe Promenade, they also have: self-serve tea; ice water; lemon ice water; pastries in the morning; sandwiches, cookies and desserts from afternoon to late night -- all at no charge. There's also specialty coffee for a fee at the counter (it might be a Starbucks).

There's often hand scooped ice cream at the Windjammer buffet.

Woody

Thanks for adding clarification, everyone. I don't like the idea of bring nickle and dimed so we are planning to keep additional restaurant fees to a minimum and may splurge here and there.

Thanks for adding clarification, everyone. I don't like the idea of bring nickle and dimed so we are planning to keep additional restaurant fees to a minimum and may splurge here and there.
I don't get the nickel and dimed comment. DCL sells specialty coffee too.

Woody

I don't get the nickel and dimed comment. DCL sells specialty coffee too. Woody

Sorry about the typo and confusion. I think what I'll miss about DCL is that dining was free except if you go to Palo, Remy, and Preludes. I'm ok drinking regular coffee and most likely won't drink specialty coffee. I already know we will be spending for the soda package. We may spend for Ben and Jerry's a couple times and may do Johnny Rockets once .

Sorry about the typo and confusion. I think what I'll miss about DCL is that dining was free except if you go to Palo, Remy, and Preludes. I'm ok drinking regular coffee and most likely won't drink specialty coffee. I already know we will be spending for the soda package. We may spend for Ben and Jerry's a couple times and may do Johnny Rockets once .
You had me until the word "except."

Like on DCL, one could sail on an entire cruise on RCI without spending extra on food. There are plenty of food options already included in your cruise fare.

Both DCL and RCI offer up charge restaurants (Palo, Remy, Chops, Portofino, Johnny Rockets), if one chooses to do that. Both DCL and RCI offer snacks for a fee (Frozone, Preludes, Ben & Jerry's). But none of that is mandatory.

I like that both cruise lines offer additional dining and snack options. It's just a personal choice whether it's worthwhile.

Woody

I understand where pepe3penelope is coming from as a previous DCL cruiser and not yet sailed RCCL. At first it seems like there are many more things that are not included in the cruise price. But really after looking into it I think they just have more options. For example Ben & Jerry's is extra, but Disney doesn't have a Ben & Jerry's for free. What they do have is the free soft serve machine an it looks like RC has that also.

The only thing I can see so far that is a big difference is the soda. But with saving thousands of dollars on the original cruise price (DCL vs RCCL) I think I'll happily fork out the extra $40 or so per person to drink soda if we want it.

I understand where pepe3penelope is coming from as a previous DCL cruiser and not yet sailed RCCL. At first it seems like there are many more things that are not included in the cruise price. But really after looking into it I think they just have more options. For example Ben & Jerry's is extra, but Disney doesn't have a Ben & Jerry's for free. What they do have is the free soft serve machine an it looks like RC has that also.
:thumbsup2

The only thing I can see so far that is a big difference is the soda. But with saving thousands of dollars on the original cruise price (DCL vs RCCL) I think I'll happily fork out the extra $40 or so per person to drink soda if we want it.
I sailed with DCL back when they charged for soda. In a brilliant marketing move, DCL built the soda charge into the cruise fares so they could say they have "free soda." The upshot is that on DCL, one pays for unlimited soda, whether or not one uses it. Which is a bummer for those who don't drink soda.

Woody

as a platinum DCL cruiser with more than 20 cruises under my belt on DCL I can safely say that over the past 2 years RCCL has won me over. Now please dont get me wrong, I still love DCL and miss somethings while on board RCCL but for the price difference I find myself no longer being able to justify the Usually $1000 difference for my family of 6. And, believe it or not, when I do catch a break on DCL pricing and get on board, there are some things I actually miss about RCCL and think they do better than DCL. I have come to a point in my life, where just want to be on the water! I took my 1st RCCL cruise in feb 2012 and have my 5th scheduled for may, (3 7 dayer and 1 3 dayer) ;) In the same time period, for about the same amount of $$ spent per person I have only done 2 DCL (4 and 5 night) ill take 5 vacations over 2 any day!
I ws very nervous as trying RCCL but fortunately was given some great advice! Just dont go in comparing one to the other and with an open mind and your family will have a great time!

as a platinum DCL cruiser with more than 20 cruises under my belt on DCL I can safely say that over the past 2 years RCCL has won me over. Now please dont get me wrong, I still love DCL and miss somethings while on board RCCL but for the price difference I find myself no longer being able to justify the Usually $1000 difference for my family of 6. And, believe it or not, when I do catch a break on DCL pricing and get on board, there are some things I actually miss about RCCL and think they do better than DCL. I have come to a point in my life, where just want to be on the water! I took my 1st RCCL cruise in feb 2012 and have my 5th scheduled for may, (3 7 dayer and 1 3 dayer) ;) In the same time period, for about the same amount of $$ spent per person I have only done 2 DCL (4 and 5 night) ill take 5 vacations over 2 any day! I ws very nervous as trying RCCL but fortunately was given some great advice! Just dont go in comparing one to the other and with an open mind and your family will have a great time!
Well said! Thank you very much!

We sailed on Freedom in May 2013. I honestly can't think of anything we didn't love. It ranked as one of our best cruises so far. The Cruise Director was hilarious, we enjoyed all of the staff tremendously. It was just an awesome trip.

The only "extra" we pay for is some alcoholic beverages. Other than that, we stick with the included things. Free coffee and desserts in the cafe promenade. The brownie they gave me there was huge and delicious.

The Windjammer (the buffet) was good. We ate dinner in the main dining room every night, but one night we felt snacky and went up to find a sushi buffet all laid out.

The ice show was great too.

Be on the lookout for friends like the characters from Madigascar and Puss in Boots, etc.

One famous character is the guy who greets you when you walk into the buffet....he is always there and has some sort of getup on.

Have a great time and tell Freedom I miss her!!! :(

One famous character is the guy who greets you when you walk into the buffet....he is always there and has some sort of getup on.

Have a great time and tell Freedom I miss her!!! :(

:)

Of course, he changes depending on the hour, day, and group of people working on the ship. Our first meal at Windjammer, it was Robert (since that's DH's name we noticed it). Other days it was Jean, who was OUR server! He danced and had such high energy, it was great. One lunchtime he was playing Gangnam Style and had a whole group of kids dancing, LOL.

. . . The Windjammer (the buffet) was good. We ate dinner in the main dining room every night, but one night we felt snacky and went up to find a sushi buffet all laid out.
We've been very pleased with the variety and quality of sushi on RCI.

Woody

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter