• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Raw Chicken at Donald's Duck-In Diner

drstrange

Earning My Ears
Hey all,

Got off a wonderful 7-night cruise on the Magic, but I did want to report that one of the days for lunch I had a big bite of raw chicken from Donald's Duck-In Diner (was a fried chicken sandwich that looked fine on the outside). It was quite jarring to say the least. This happened to my son at Olivia's at Old Key West in April and now on DCL. This was our 12th cruise and have never experienced anything quite like that. After Olivia's I thought it was a rare chance, but now having this happen TWICE in three months I am worried it is a Disney health and safety issue across the board. Has anyone else experienced an uptick in these issues lately or are we just having bad luck?

We sailed the Magic last year out of NYC. The Duck in Diner was where I had my biggest issue happen. I ordered the impossible burger and they told me it would take a while to make to make sure it was cooked correctly. Told them it was fine I was in no rush. When they finally gave me the burger I sat down with it but it looked off. So I cut it in half and it was raw inside. Poked my finger in it and it was cold and mushy. So I had stood there waiting for my food cause they said they wanted to make it cooked correctly and they still served me a raw meal.

1689700600233.jpeg

We had more food issues during that sailing along with other ship issues. I wrote a post about it. The above is a snippet of it. Happy to be sailing the Dream out of NYC this year.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-vent-about-our-recent-disney-magic-sailing-experience.3899771/

We sailed the Magic last year out of NYC. The Duck in Diner was where I had my biggest issue happen. I ordered the impossible burger and they told me it would take a while to make to make sure it was cooked correctly. Told them it was fine I was in no rush. When they finally gave me the burger I sat down with it but it looked off. So I cut it in half and it was raw inside. Poked my finger in it and it was cold and mushy. So I had stood there waiting for my food cause they said they wanted to make it cooked correctly and they still served me a raw meal.

View attachment 778759

We had more food issues during that sailing along with other ship issues. I wrote a post about it. The above is a snippet of it. Happy to be sailing the Dream out of NYC this year.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-vent-about-our-recent-disney-magic-sailing-experience.3899771/
I remember reading your post and I was hoping that many of the issues outlined would be resolved with the drydock. I will say that the cruise was awesome for the most part but the food at the MDR and our servers at the MDR were by far the worst we ever had. That and the being served raw chicken for lunch. LOL

I remember reading your post and I was hoping that many of the issues outlined would be resolved with the drydock. I will say that the cruise was awesome for the most part but the food at the MDR and our servers at the MDR were by far the worst we ever had. That and the being served raw chicken for lunch. LOL
Who did you report the raw chicken to? What was the response? Did you have to escalate? (We’re sailing the Magic in January.)

We have also experienced raw chicken twice at disney restaurants. I suspect it is due to not realizing the meat was not fully defrosted prior to cooking. Of course have also had it happen at non-disney restaurants. So these days I always grab a knife and cut into chicken before eating. Not ideal but I understand how the mistake could happen.

Interesting... we were on the Magic 3 weeks ago. MDR-wise... yes, the serving team struggled a bit (looked overworked and slow) - but had no issues with food quality... if anything, some of it was a tad overcooked.

Who did you report the raw chicken to? What was the response? Did you have to escalate? (We’re sailing the Magic in January.)
I brought it back to the Duck-In Diner. The first person I spoke with apologized and offered to make me another sandwich. I asked to speak with a manager as I wanted to make sure that it got documented in the event I got sick so that I wouldn't be responsible for the medical fee if I got sick from their food. The manager apologized and took down my information. About 10 minutes later they found me poolside and introduced me to the head chef of the Magic who apologized (wasn't quite sure what I was supposed to say or do). The next day I received a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and a card from the Galley team sent to my room. That was about the extent of it.

Interesting... we were on the Magic 3 weeks ago. MDR-wise... yes, the serving team struggled a bit (looked overworked and slow) - but had no issues with food quality... if anything, some of it was a tad overcooked.
Yeah, when I say the servers were the worst we had it just felt like they spent no time at our table. They were not bad per say, but compared to the other 11 times we'd sailed they were by far the least personable pair. Part of the reason we love DCL is the rotational servers and getting to know them throughout the cruise, especially on 7 night sailings.

My DD has gotten ill after eating salmon at both Epcot and The Grand Californian Hotel. They happened years apart, but she's just decided to stay away from Disney salmon from now on. Salmon can be tricky, especially when its mass produced. ;)

I brought it back to the Duck-In Diner. The first person I spoke with apologized and offered to make me another sandwich. I asked to speak with a manager as I wanted to make sure that it got documented in the event I got sick so that I wouldn't be responsible for the medical fee if I got sick from their food. The manager apologized and took down my information. About 10 minutes later they found me poolside and introduced me to the head chef of the Magic who apologized (wasn't quite sure what I was supposed to say or do). The next day I received a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and a card from the Galley team sent to my room. That was about the extent of it.
Thanks - hopefully your report resulted in procedural changes in the kitchens to reduce the chance of recurrences!

Yikes! I'm such a freak about chicken. I am that person that when I'm cooking it will over cook it just to be absolutely positive its not raw. Now I almost always cut my sandwiches in half before I eat. I do this everywhere with any kind of sandwich.

Unfortunately, things happen and when serving that many people there is bound to be an occasional mistake. Not saying it's okay but things do happen. I'm glad you brought it to their attention because hopefully it then became a training opportunity for the staff to avoid it from happening in the future.

One of the many reasons we only eat plant based on the cruises. More difficult to get sick if it's not a dead, rotting corpse!

One of the many reasons we only eat plant based on the cruises. More difficult to get sick if it's not a dead, rotting corpse!
I got e.coli from a salad in 2010 and a friend got it in 2018. Plant based doesn’t come without risk either

I got e.coli from a salad in 2010 and a friend got it in 2018. Plant based doesn’t come without risk either
I can't remember the last time I ate a salad while eating plant-based. The vast majority of foodborne illness is caused by meat/poultry/dairy/eggs, including the highest percentage of serious illness and death.

I just don't trust cruises to properly handle these items.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter