• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rats chasing mice in Magic Kingdom

It is Florida, it is nature, it is not inside, so what to expect. I was watching very carefully were I stepped at CBR at night as we saw a snake, rabbit, tons of lizards, frogs. Thanks God no alligators and snake we spotted from far away, it was right on a path. That is price to pay for not staying at one of the concrete/no nature places.

DD and I were visiting DL last year. We were a bit hot and tired, so we sat down by a large planter near the ticket counter with our backs to the plants. After awhile, she took my by the arm and calmly said, "Mom, we are leaving NOW." I just got up and quickly walked away, not knowing what was behind me. I asked what it was, and she said a huge rat, and it was right by my back. :eek:

We stayed away from the planters after that! ::yes::

I too am a rat fan. If I ever saw one in Disney I'd probably be running after it trying to get a picture of "Remy".

Oh thank goodness I didn't see the rats. Everyone has that thing that makes them shudder and squeal.. rats would be mine:crazy2:

However I did see 2 fat cats at Fort Wilderness by the cabins. I thought that was odd. Maybe they are after the rats:crazy2:
Dh also let a lizard into the cabin! I generally don't have a problem with lizards but I had no intention of sleeping with one so we had to catch and release that little guy.

I saw a rat in MK last week while taking a break near Peco Bills. It was obviously used to people because it popped out from the bushes and drank from a puddle not 2 ft from me. It was funny when others noticed it because they thought it was some kind of a prop and asked me if it was real. The experience didn't phase me a bit - when you have trash cans full of food in the woods you'll have rats, mice and roaches.

They've probably heard of the Disneyland feral cats and assume they have them at WDW, too.

When we were in Disneyland about 5 years ago, I thought it so odd to see cats there I actually took pictures of them.

I would think it impossible for any outdoor place to keep rodents out. While I wouldn't want to come face to face with them, I don't really care that there are mice or rats there. I am just so glad Disney does some miracle spraying to keep the mosquitoes away!

I wouldn't be surprised to see either rats or mice outside...and I am fine with them outside, just don't want them in my room.

We have seen the cats at DL. I remember reading that they used to keep the food carts stocked with food and locked up overnight but it attracted too many rodents. Then they started to leave out poisoned hot dogs to try and kill the rodents. But, a toddler found one that wasn't eaten over night and got sick after he took a couple bites. Then they started bringing in the cats. I prefer cats to poisoned hot dogs in the parks. :)

As a fervent rat lover, and former owner of domesticated rats, I can firmly say that as long as you're not feeding them (and they're not being fed by people on a regular basis), they will likely be avoiding you as much as you want to avoid them. Rats keep themselves pretty clean, and while they can leave mess behind, as any animal would, I'm pretty sure Disney keeps their kitchens, and really all areas of the park, very clean, so there's nothing to worry about.

Now would I try to catch or pick up a wild rat? Heck, no. Not anywhere. It's a wild animal. But it doesn't worry me any more than a feral cat would, or a squirrel. The only reason I wouldn't be tossing it popcorn is for its own safety.

Rats get a really bad rap. They are wonderful, intelligent, loving animals. :)

Things That Make Me Happy 2 by opaleyes, on Flickr

He is SOOOOO cute!!! Love his little hands and cute face!! :hyper::love:

Now don't go sticking your hands in because of the poisonous snakes, but look in areas that are shrubs, long grass, etc. Those black boxes that are smaller than a shoe box are mouse/rat traps. Ex-DH works for the company that makes them and pointed them out all over DW.

I've seen the black boxes in the back of planting areas. I've also seen a rat at MK that was much bigger than one of those boxes. I guess when they outgrow the box, they're permanent residents.

I encountered some of Mickey's friends at Fort Wilderness. I was on the sidewalk at the bus stop headed back to the parking lot to my car, when 2 of the BIGGEST RATS I have ever seen poked their heads out of the shrubs. One of them ducked back in but the other made a run for it, across the walk and just inches from my toes. :scared1:

Last time I was at MK, I saw one of those bad boys! This thing was huge. When I spotted it in my peripheral vision, I thought it was a large cat. Once I turned my head and saw what it was, I involuntarily screamed, "RAT!" :rolleyes1

It had ran from one planting area to another, much smaller area in front of gift shop. A girl was sitting on the wall that bordered the planting bed it was now in. I told her it was there, but I imagine lots of people sit there not knowing that king rat is a mere inches from their butt.

We see them often at the parks. What is funnier is when people decide they are something else because it is Disney. We were leaving Epcot one night when a big rat ran across our path. The woman behind us told her kids to "chase the bunny". More than once I've heard people say "that looked like a rat! I wonder what that was... they don't have rats at Disney".

That's exactly what I thought until I refused to blink.

It's funny how easy it is to slip into that mind-set while at Disney!
Last year I had been on a working holiday in FL for a couple months previous to ending my stay with a holiday in Disney.
The whole time I was working, I was being PLAGUED my mosquitoes! All I could think was "I can't wait to get to Disney so I don't have to be a human feast any more!" However when I got there I was still being bitten, and then I realised what I'd done!

I don't know why I thought just because I was in Disney, the wildlife wouldn't exist any more! :rotfl:

Well, I guess we've been lucky with regards to any rodents sightings...BUT, we did open our door at ASMOV one morning to see a flipping deer standing on our "porch"...
Not sure was scared more....me...or the deer...(well-actually I DO know...).

Told the boy it was BAMBIE....looking for Ma! :rolleyes1

Oh, why did I read this thread so soon before bed? :eek:

Has anyone else ever NOT encountered rats, mice, snakes, alligators, or palmetto bugs at WDW? I've been to Disney seven times and am starting to think I've just been insanely lucky! :confused3 ... But I'm also starting to worry that I must be due. :scared1:

We saw a rat in World Showcase during our trip in Feb. It was scampering around near Japan in WS! Thought it was Remy for a sec but he would have been in France! ;)

I can handle mice, or even a rat. It's the cockroaches that would freak me put. I am seriously terrified of those things, and so I'm a little nervous. At DL, we truly have been spoiled. I've never been so much as bitten by a mosquito.

I have seen mice more then once scampering from flower pot to flower pot outside stitch, I guess it's better then rats. Gross!

Saw a snake at Typhoon Lagoon. It made the six people standing in line with us at Shark Reef about jump out of their skin. (We were at the end of the line and behind the snake, so we saw it coming before it got too close. We were so busy watching it, that it didn't occur to us to say anything until it had snuck up on them... :lmao:) And that is how you make people dance. :rolleyes1

He eventually moved on across the walkway and disappeared into the undergrowth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter