• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rapunzel Meet & Greet review

It's a shame, but I think we're going to have to skip this. :sad1:

While I think the idea of a more interactive experience with the characters is a fantastic one, we won't have any young children with us, so I'd feel more than a little ridiculous being involved with the activities, but I'm guessing letting people through JUST to meet the characters isn't going to happen.

I think one of the things that worked in Belle's Story Time's favour was the fact that you could meet Belle elsewhere if you didn't want to sit through her show - either in Toontown or over at Epcot. Having this be the ONLY way to meet Rapunzel and Flynn is unfortunate. If you could meet them in a regular line in a different park as well, then it would be the best of both worlds - young children get a much more memorable experience with the whole interactive show aspect and families who don't want to dedicate so much time to one character experience and older character lovers would still have the opportunity to meet the newest members of the Disney family. :confused3

I think one of the things that worked in Belle's Story Time's favour was the fact that you could meet Belle elsewhere if you didn't want to sit through her show - either in Toontown or over at Epcot. Having this be the ONLY way to meet Rapunzel and Flynn is unfortunate. If you could meet them in a regular line in a different park as well, then it would be the best of both worlds - young children get a much more memorable experience with the whole interactive show aspect and families who don't want to dedicate so much time to one character experience and older character lovers would still have the opportunity to meet the newest members of the Disney family. :confused3

I TOTALLY agree with this! I have said all along they need to make those characters regularly available in the traditional meet & greet format somewhere else, maybe Epcot.

But if you really want to do it, then do. My daughter is 10, and the fact that there was coloring involved put her off of wanting to participate in the play & greet. We knew the lines had been long, so we got there early, and just went straight to the meet & greet line. The CM's invited her to join the play & greet, but she opted not to. It wasn't a problem though.

The movie was great, and the characters are poplular. And I totally agree that they messed up making this such a low capacity opportunity. I think a lot of people are seeing the line and just leaving disappointed.

Quite the contrary... I think the popularity of this type of meet and greet is a sign that folks are willing to wait for a personal "experience"- i.e. the "Show" and interaction with a character rather than just a line on Main Street. I think the way this is done IS a change. If there is a demand for it (like a 3 hour wait) i don't see it changing. i think it might be a move in the next-gen direction, with the personal and interactive experience.

Respectfully, I don't agree, and I sure hope that the other meet and greets do not move in this direction. In my opinion, the popularity is the characters themselves, not the production of this meet and greet. I don't think anyone in that line is waiting for, or cares that much about, the "show", or the interaction before the meet and greet. These are kids who want to be able to hug, get autographs, and pictures with the characters, and they want to meet them bad enough that they are willing to endure the crazy delays and waits that this poorly designed set-up causes. While Rapunzel and Flynn themselves are adorable, I find this to be the worst planned, most annoying and most poorly designed meet and greet I have ever seen at WDW. We waited for this meet and greet a week after the movie came out with our then 4 year old. She had seen the movie and she was in love with Rapunzel and Flynn and wanted to meet them no matter how long she had to wait to do it. It was an hour and a half long experience for us with the waiting in line, the "show", the secondary line, and the meet and greet. It has gotten worse since then. We were there an hour before the meet and greet after getting cut off our first try, and that was on a slow MK Day. Now, unless you make a dash at rope drop to hit the first one, an hour probably isn't going to cut it. There is just no way to minimize your wait time, because it is not a continuous meet and greet and the "show" cuts significantly into the meet time.

All we heard in line and all week from other families were complaints about the way the meet and greet was set up and the little "show" before it. Once people found out they were doing the meet and greet the "normal" way during MVMCP, people who had tickets for the party were skipping it during the day and doing it during MVMCP (we found that out out too late, or that is what we would have done). People were "spreading" the word that you could go during MVMCP and didn't have to put up with the pre-meet and greet "garbage" (as I heard several people call it). As far as the "production" during the day, Older kids didn't want to color or dance. Younger ones didn't understand why they didn't have time to finish the picture or why Flynn and Rapunzel weren't taking the pictures after the kids had been told that they were making the pictures for the characters. The half of the group in line for the meet and greet that did not make the cut off for the coloring area were dealing with little kids who were upset and even crying because they did not get to color or be in the circle dancing with Flynn and Rapunzel. Not only that, the double line was completely annoying. You wait in line for at least an hour to get into the coloring area for the meet and greet, and then when they let you into the area, you have to get the kids to the table and then form a new line for the characters. Parents who were in the front of the line who stopped to get their kids situated at the coloring table, wound up toward the back of the meet and greet line for their half of the crowd. We wound up just a few people back from the front since DH got in the second line while I got DD situated, and it was still 30 minutes from the time we were let into the coloring area, until we walked out of the meet and greet.

Based on what we heard the week we were there, and what I have continued to see on these boards, the demand is in no way for the "show". People just love Rapunzel and Flynn and are willing to put up with what WDW requires to get to meet them.

Ugh, this whole Rapunzel thing is freaking me out. I know DD wants to see Rapunzel in May, but I would so much rather spend that precious first hour getting Fantasyland done.

This is how I felt. My DDs (ages 4 and 7) live and breathe Rapunzel, but I was so stressed about 1) rushing them there at rope drop, 2) being there by myself so my girls had to stay with me and using the bathroom could have presented problems, and 3) wasting that much precious park time on our only day at MK.

I explained all of that to my 7 year old and told her it was her choice (the 4 year old would forget there was a M&G two seconds after I told her, and if she did bother to ask where Rapunzel was she'd accept that R wasn't at the park that day!). After carefully thinking about it, DD said she wanted to skip it. I was thrilled! And in the 90 minutes or so it would have taken us to get there, wait, and experience the M&G we were able to do Buzz Lightyear, the Tomorrowland Speedway, Snow White, Dumbo, it's a small world, a character greeting with Stitch, and one or two other things.

That said, posts like the OPs are very valuable and much appreciated. They're what helps people like me, and my DD, decide what we really want to do and plan for it. Maybe we'll hit this next time, or even better they'll add an alternative opportunity to meet Rapunzel by then! We could skip the coloring and dancing...all the girls really wanted was a hug and a photo.

This is how I felt. My DDs (ages 4 and 7) live and breathe Rapunzel, but I was so stressed about 1) rushing them there at rope drop, 2) being there by myself so my girls had to stay with me and using the bathroom could have presented problems, and 3) wasting that much precious park time on our only day at MK.

I explained all of that to my 7 year old and told her it was her choice (the 4 year old would forget there was a M&G two seconds after I told her, and if she did bother to ask where Rapunzel was she'd accept that R wasn't at the park that day!). After carefully thinking about it, DD said she wanted to skip it. I was thrilled! And in the 90 minutes or so it would have taken us to get there, wait, and experience the M&G we were able to do Buzz Lightyear, the Tomorrowland Speedway, Snow White, Dumbo, it's a small world, a character greeting with Stitch, and one or two other things.

That said, posts like the OPs are very valuable and much appreciated. They're what helps people like me, and my DD, decide what we really want to do and plan for it. Maybe we'll hit this next time, or even better they'll add an alternative opportunity to meet Rapunzel by then! We could skip the coloring and dancing...all the girls really wanted was a hug and a photo.

See.......... THAT is the entire problem with this setup. You shouldn't have to worry so much about it. And you shouldn't have to be relieved that she wants to skip it. Nor should you have to skulk around Fantasyland hoping they don't catch a glimpse of it and change their minds!

I still say this is a function of the poor setup, not at testament to how wonderful the little "show" is.

Thanks! And I agree - I didn't even tell my daughter about this until toward the end of the week when a second MK rope drop was a possibility. Then I explained to her what we would have to do to accomplish this and gave her the choice. As it turned out, that moment when Flynn stood next to her at the table and took her hand to do the circle dance thing she looked over her shoulder at me with such a smile and I was videotaping it and THAT MOMENT was the highlight of my trip. There's no way to predict that and I would imagine far more people leave this experience thinking the time was not that well spent and we made other choices that week that we regretted (freezing in the Lion King show immediately after Kali River Rapids being one of the biggies!). To me that is what all this research and posting is about - knowing what your choices are and the best possible way to try to make each one as enjoyable as possible.

p.s. she still won't tell me what was in the satchel.:goodvibes

ok here's my plan what do you guys think --- will it work?? DD is crazy over Rapunzel and more so over Flynn, lol. Anyways here's the plan:

DD has a BBB appt at 8:30 (park opens at 9am) so I can send DH over to wait in line, or be close to rope area in Fantasy Land at 9am to head over to the Rapunzel area-- DD's princess dress is Rapunzel for BBB:) We'll meet up with DH after BBB, then during the coloring time I'll keep DH in the other line to hold our spot for the meet/photos, while I get her settled at the coloring table.

Do you think we'll be done by 10am? We have a ressie at CRT at 10am...

ok here's my plan what do you guys think --- will it work?? DD is crazy over Rapunzel and more so over Flynn, lol. Anyways here's the plan:

DD has a BBB appt at 8:30 (park opens at 9am) so I can send DH over to wait in line, or be close to rope area in Fantasy Land at 9am to head over to the Rapunzel area-- DD's princess dress is Rapunzel for BBB:) We'll meet up with DH after BBB, then during the coloring time I'll keep DH in the other line to hold our spot for the meet/photos, while I get her settled at the coloring table.

Do you think we'll be done by 10am? We have a ressie at CRT at 10am...

Yes, I think you'll be done. The key is to be as close to the front of the line as possible because they kept us in the order we were in outside once we got inside the grotto. So first in line was first to meet with characters and first to leave. I know others posted differently but that's what it was for us. And unless your daughter is REALLY young there isn't a lot to do get her situated at the table. The CM will walk them around and show them the crayons and paper to color on while you walk around the circle in parent area. You may even have time for a ride or two before CRT. *note: I just remembered -the order they took us for the photo op is NOT determined by child's position at the table, it is by the order you are in on the ramp around the coloring table so keep your position there. Your girl can color wherever at the table.

Thanks so much for all the great info.

Has anyone done the M&G for Rapunzel with an 8:05 reservation at Crystal Palace?

We have 3 MK days, 2 being rope drop and one being 8:05 ADR. So I am hoping that with a group of 4 adults we can get at least one of us in line early and get both my girls in to meet Rapunzel.

I am wondering the answer to this as well. We also have an pre-opening ADR for Crystal Palace and if I could send someone from our group over just before 9am and guarantee we are in the first group I would love to do this - but our dd will only be 2yr 8mo. so I don't think she has any "must dos" yet that I would wait 3 hours for this

Is there any way for princesses at heart (read: eighteen year olds who really want to be five) to meet Rapunzel? Would I get weird looks if I did the meet and greet? What do I do???

Yes, I think you'll be done. The key is to be as close to the front of the line as possible because they kept us in the order we were in outside once we got inside the grotto. So first in line was first to meet with characters and first to leave. I know others posted differently but that's what it was for us. And unless your daughter is REALLY young there isn't a lot to do get her situated at the table. The CM will walk them around and show them the crayons and paper to color on while you walk around the circle in parent area. You may even have time for a ride or two before CRT. *note: I just remembered -the order they took us for the photo op is NOT determined by child's position at the table, it is by the order you are in on the ramp around the coloring table so keep your position there. Your girl can color wherever at the table.

YAY!!! I'm so glad to hear that it will work!!

Is there any way for princesses at heart (read: eighteen year olds who really want to be five) to meet Rapunzel? Would I get weird looks if I did the meet and greet? What do I do???

I read somewhere on this thread, lol. that if you didn't want to color then you could just stand in line? So maybe that will work for you too. I'm hoping I can get a pic with Flynn:rotfl: It will be the day of my big 4-0 birthday and I'm soooo wanting a "smolder" pic :lmao:

I sure hope you try. I took my kids to The Pirate League and didn't do it for myself. As my kids were all being worked on and a guy about my age got in the chair for his Pirate makeover in between 2 of my kids I thought "That should be me, dangit, why didn't I do this for myself?" Go for it and who cares about the funny looks. Good luck.

Ugh, this whole Rapunzel thing is freaking me out. I know DD wants to see Rapunzel in May, but I would so much rather spend that precious first hour getting Fantasyland done. It's crazy to me that they have people waiting in line for 2-3 hours to meet a character. Shouldn't that be a sign that they need to change the way things are done?

Sorry to the OP; your information is great. I'm just stressed since I had only one MK rope-drop planned and it looks like that won't suffice this time.

I'm not relating this directly to the Rapunzel meet and greet as we've not done it, so take this for what it's worth....if your DD really wants to meet Rapunzel, go there first. You will have plenty of time to do Fantasy Land after meeting her. We did this last May, only we were running for Tinkerbell in Toon Town. I had planned to be there at RD but it just didn't work out. We went directly to get in line for Tink and did have a bit of a wait, even at 8:30 in the morning. However, after that, we were still able to get FPs for what we really wanted to ride and never had to wait very long in any other line. Don't know if we were lucky or what, but I was pleasantly surprised that we got everything done we wanted to without having too many issues.

Please don't stress about it. It's going to be fine.

We're going to try this in about 3 weeks. We tried to go November 2010 but the lines were horrendous. This time we plan to go directly to M&G at RD, one parent will wait in line, one parent will get FPs and the grandparents will take the kids on Dumbo and Tea Cups and other Fantasyland rides.

It's pretty crazy that you have to have a 'battle plan' just to meet R&FR.:rotfl::confused3

So is this more of a "only for kids" kind of thing, or similar to lining up to meet the other characters in the park, where there adults without kids waiting to get their pix taken as well?

No reason in particular I'm asking. :rolleyes1

I read somewhere on this thread, lol. that if you didn't want to color then you could just stand in line? So maybe that will work for you too. I'm hoping I can get a pic with Flynn:rotfl: It will be the day of my big 4-0 birthday and I'm soooo wanting a "smolder" pic :lmao:

So is this more of a "only for kids" kind of thing, or similar to lining up to meet the other characters in the park, where there adults without kids waiting to get their pix taken as well?

No reason in particular I'm asking. :rolleyes1

EVERYONE can meet Rapunzel and Flynn. EVERYONE. Nobody is too old, yes it is mostly going to be families with little kids there, but they won't turn you away for not having kids with you. They are very interactive, even with adults/teenagers. Eventually I'll get to my reviews of Tangled in my trip report, and I have pictures to prove it. GO AND HAVE FUN! :yay:

EVERYONE can meet Rapunzel and Flynn. EVERYONE. Nobody is too old, yes it is mostly going to be families with little kids there, but they won't turn you away for not having kids with you. They are very interactive, even with adults/teenagers. Eventually I'll get to my reviews of Tangled in my trip report, and I have pictures to prove it. GO AND HAVE FUN! :yay:

IMHO, I think the characters actually like dealing with some of the adults/teens better, since they are in line because they truly want to be there! At least they know they won't get a crying, screaming child.

I feel so sad about this, being a single parent... This is a mother/daughter trip.... so I wont have anyone to "hold our place in line" and I KNOW my DD4 will want to meet Rapunzel... I also am torn on weather or not to dedicate time to this, esp considering how we will want to do so many other things in that hour time frame before the park fills up!!!!!

I'm not happy about this set up either. Last year my niece wanted to see the fairies and princesses. We waited forever in lines to see them, while other families had one parent take the kids in the princess line and then the other parent waited in the fairy line. They finished both lines in the time it took us to see the fairies. Then they told us they only got two fairies and they were different than the ones we had seen. Anyway, we waited for over 3 hrs to see the two sets of fairies and the princesses. We were frozen, hungry and had to use the bathroom. We had waited at the front of the line to see the second set of fairies for a long time before a manager finally appeared and I asked if we could please go outside to use the bathroom. We were taken into the hallway (shrinking area) and then when we went in to see the fairies it was the ones we hadn't seen-how long they had been there I have no idea. I was so cold I forgot to have the fairies sign my niece's autograph book.

I know she wants to see Rapunzel. She asked me to make her a Rapunzel dress. I know I will be waiting in line. I just wish they had a better system for this. I love the new FP for Mickey and the Princesses. I would love to see that in place for the Rapunzel meet and greet.

Sorry if this has been answered, but if the park opens at 9am what time does the first "show" start?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter