• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rapid Refill Ripoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

bywheel

"My only hope is that we never lose sight of one t
We recently stayed at Pop Century for three days before our Disney Cruise. We flew in late Wednesday afternoon, arriving at Pop around 5pm. We decided to have dinner there and purchased a mug with a three day refill.

Saturday morning before our cruise, I went to get a soda and my mug had expired.:confused3

So actually I only had about two and a quarter days on my mug. What they should do is give you 24 hour period from when your mug is first used instead of what I am assuming is a day period (Wed, Thur, Fri).

We recently stayed at Pop Century for three days before our Disney Cruise. We flew in late Wednesday afternoon, arriving at Pop around 5pm. We decided to have dinner there and purchased a mug with a three day refill.

Saturday morning before our cruise, I went to get a soda and my mug had expired.:confused3

So actually I only had about two and a quarter days on my mug. What they should do is give you 24 hour period from when your mug is first used instead of what I am assuming is a day period (Wed, Thur, Fri).

It is a day period, 12:00a - 11:59p. If you use it at 10p you use a whole day. I don't know how well they advertise or tell you that when purchasing one, but I've seen it listed in the articles announcing the mugs.

I imagine for th chip it was easier to use calendar days electronically than a varying count down for each guest.

I thought the signs for the Rapid Refill on the dispensing machines says "Day consists of one calendar day"? :confused3

When I purchased my mug at POP on 9/6 at 9pm, the cashier informed me that this would count as one full day. I also saw a sign and every time I filled my soda up, it tells you the date that you have refills for.

Informed or not, I have to agree with the OP that it's a bit silly. A 24 hour period would make much more sense. Although we will be doing length of stay mugs and thus not really be affected by their calendar day to the extent that the OP was, it is a bit unreasonable IMO and I hope they reconsider this, particularly for the sake of those staying for a shorter period of time where the cost per day is higher on average.

Does a length of stay mug expire then at midnight on the night of check out? :confused3

Rapid Refill Ripoff

1) Not really a Rip Off.
2) The rules are clearly stated.
3) The soda pop is FREE to Disney, so they just want to maximize profit.
4) At the guest's expense.
5) OK, so it is pretty much of a Rip Off.

We bought our mug upon arrival on Sep 4 and got it for length of stay (14 days). However, we first used it on Sep 10, 6 days after buying it. The machine showed that it was good until Sep 24, so evidently it makes no difference when you purchase it as far as expiration date. It was really a waste of money for us as we only used the mug 3 times during our stay. The Pop food court was always so crowded, we just avoided eating there.

Yes, for the mugs it is calendar days, not 24 hour days. They do have signs on the drink machines but I don't know if they explain that when you purchase the mug.

Readers should note that if you purchase the mug toward the end of the day, then that is your first day.

A length of stay mug is good for 14 days, no matter what the actual length of your stay is.

I don't see this as a huge issue the only thing I want to see as part of this is new mugs every so often or resort specific mugs. I really wish resort specific mugs would make a comeback.

1) Not really a Rip Off.
2) The rules are clearly stated.
3) The soda pop is FREE to Disney, so they just want to maximize profit.
4) At the guest's expense.
5) OK, so it is pretty much of a Rip Off.

well said :lmao:

i agree that this is made fairly clear however it is a pretty decent ripoff ... the code to make it a 24 hour period would have required perhaps less work than the code in place, at worst it would have been no difference in cost or complexity ... this was a conscious decision by Disney to try and squeeze its guests for just a little more. These types of decisions are really annoying to me.

but hey, could always just not buy it, we will be having our drinks delivered by garden grocer for our next trip.

We have the regular dining plan for our trip next month. Does anyone know how many days our mugs will be good for? We will be there for 5 nights, 6 days.

i agree that this is made fairly clear however it is a pretty decent ripoff ... the code to make it a 24 hour period would have required perhaps less work than the code in place, at worst it would have been no difference in cost or complexity ... this was a conscious decision by Disney to try and squeeze its guests for just a little more. These types of decisions are really annoying to me.

but hey, could always just not buy it, we will be having our drinks delivered by garden grocer for our next trip.

This.

See my argument is, if you check in at 11 pm (read tired and THIRSTY) you're going to want to use your mug or have to pay for a drink. You are still charged for your room for the night regardless of check in time .... I mean really, you're spending a few hundred $$$ to sleep in your room and they can't let $3 go :confused3

Anyways, I was quite clear on the 'day' policy and yes, it is made clear - but making a policy clear does not prevent it from being a rip off.

I would agree if you purchased a 72 hour mug. But you purchased a 3 day mug, as both WDW and you referred to it. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. 3 days. Sorry.

Anyways, I was quite clear on the 'day' policy and yes, it is made clear - but making a policy clear does not prevent it from being a rip off.

If you agree to the terms by purchasing a mug you can't then turn around and declare you were ripped off. Especially when they policy is clearly posted. Don't like the terms, don't buy the mug. Easy.

If you agree to the terms by purchasing a mug you can't then turn around and declare you were ripped off. Especially when they policy is clearly posted. Don't like the terms, don't buy the mug. Easy.

Exactly. :confused3 The signs are posted.
When did everyone start demanding more than what they purchased?

Exactly. :confused3 The signs are posted.
When did everyone start demanding more than what they purchased?

People seem to think because Disney (supposedly) gets the pop for free that they shouldn't charge for it. Do people really think they pay the at cost price for anything? Those jeans you wear don't cost JCP $40 to get. The potato chips you like to eat don't cost Walmart $3 a bag.

Don't like the price being charged, don't buy the product. Simple.

Just returned from 5 days and 4 nights at the Polynesian on Free DDP. Picked up our mugs at Capt Cook's in the evening on 9/19. We checked out on 9/23, but the screen on the RapidFill machine said all 4 of our mugs were good until 10/2/13. Not sure how or why, but that is what they said. We only had one issue with RapidFill during our stay. One afternoon I went to fill my mug with PowerAid. Kept pushing the button, but nothing happened. Screen only said my mug was good until 10/2/13. Moved my mug to Sprite to see if it would dispense, and Sprite worked. As soon as it started dispensing I stopped filling. Dumped out Sprite and tried PowerAid again - nothing. Went to the other machine and tried to get PowerAid. Screen said I had to wait 1 min and 56 seconds for my next refill. No big deal. I can wait 2 minutes, and my DS8 thought it was hilarious. After 2 mins expired, I could get my PowerAid. Other than that one glitch, RapidFill worked great with no problems. It was a non-issue for us. RapidFill is only for the soft drink dispenser. You can get coffee, tea, water, etc at much as you want, as long as you want.

Were you on the DDP? If so, your refills are good for the length of your stay. (14 days or Midnight on the day of your checkout)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter