• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rape Attempt at POP

I have to agree - there is something missing from this story. I was at the Pop Century (sitting at the Hippy Dippy Pool) that night when all the police were walking around. I have to say they definitely did not act as though something this serious had just happened.

I would also have thought that in some respect the guests staying there should have been alerted to this... I personally do not let my daughters walk around alone (even at Disney :( ) but there were plenty of children, women, etc that were.

I of course hope the victim is OK and this turns out to be less than what is being reported.....

I am not sure I understand. What do you mean by it not adding up? Are you thinking the women made it up? I believe this could have happened. They had the pervert outside one of the epcot hotels last year trying to get young kids.

Wow that's pretty scary. I am glad she was able to get away though!

We saw all the squads when we were coming back to the resort on Friday. A couple of days before (I think it was Wednesday), we were at the Hippy Dippy pool and security was called because a girl in the pool said someone was grabbing at her in the water. Wonder if that's related....

Thats just scary just lets you know you have to keep your guard up everywhere

Local news says the claim is being investigated. At this time, they are not saying it was an attempted rape.

I am truly sorry that this attempt has happened. I read the article and there is a lot of information missing since this occured on Friday. You would think that there would be a bit more information or someone would have heard something. It doesn't even state if she was taken to the hospital just to be checked out or anything. :confused3 Please don't take this the wrong way that I am not stating that this never happened but I will have to wait to see if more information comes out.

Whenever I hear stories like this I try to use it as a time to remember that Disney like any where else has it's fair share of "John P Nutcases" running around.
I'm always amazed at how, when I vacation in NYC I take a million safety precautions but when I go to disney, I go temporarily brain dead.

I can't believe that her husband was sleeping at 6:00pm.!! For us, there is still another good 7 hours left of the day. Its Disney, who sleeps!

I don't understand what doesn't add up for some folks.

Well, for one thing, being knocked into some bushes does not constitute attempted rape.For another thing, why didn't people hear something, like, I don't know, maybe a womans' scream?
And last but not least, were any of the Pop Warner hoodlums that were fighting over at the Magic Kingdom visiting Pop that evening? - if they will fight in MK, they would push a woman into the bushes just for the fun of it.
Might be attempted rape, might not be; without more info we don't know.
:confused3

Well, for one thing, being knocked into some bushes does not constitute attempted rape.For another thing, why didn't people hear something, like, I don't know, maybe a womans' scream?
And last but not least, were any of the Pop Warner hoodlums that were fighting over at the Magic Kingdom visiting Pop that evening? - if they will fight in MK, they would push a woman into the bushes just for the fun of it.
Might be attempted rape, might not be; without more info we don't know.
:confused3
Granted, it may or may not have been attempted rape but some folks on this thread are just willing to blow it off like it was nothing. Being pushed into the bushes by a man is a start of something bad. If the women felt threaten, then I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. I don't have to wait for more info or something worst to happen to her to believe her story. If it was you or a women close to you, I doubt you have a cavalier attitude.

I can't believe that her husband was sleeping at 6:00pm.!! For us, there is still another good 7 hours left of the day. Its Disney, who sleeps!

Well.for starters there are a lot of unanswered questions such as why wasn't a descrition given of the attacker.

Even the news article seems to conderdict itself.
A guest staying at Walt Disney World's Pop Century resort narrowly avoided being raped last Friday evening, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office. The woman was walking about 5:50 p.m. on a path when a man pushed and knocked her to the ground in 4-feet-tall bushes. The man immediately reached into the pockets of her shorts and snatched her room key, states an incident report released on Tuesday.

Details of how the woman escaped have not been released.

She returned to her room about 6 p.m. but could not open the door because her key had been bent in the attack. She alerted her husband sleeping inside by screaming and pounding on the locked door, the report states.

The two bolded lines above seem to conterdict each other.
Did the perp drop the key?
If not did someone help her get the key back?
If so why didn't whoever helped her get the key back help her get help?
Or was she able to take the key back from the attacker herself ?

Also on the rumors board there is a poster who claims to have inside info and says this was NOT an attemped rape but rather an attempted grope which is still bad but not quite the same category as rape.

From this thread:Post 18

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?p=22214488#post22214488

Who's dismissing ANYTHING?

And who suggested it was "acceptable" to do anything (grope, rape, etc.) another person at all? Putting words where they never were to begin with doesn't help one's argument.

Also note, as I said before, the Sheriff's office isn't calling this an attempted rape, the ORLANDO SENTINEL is. The Sheriff isn't calling it an attempted rape because the person who was attacked never said it was an attempted rape.

Again ... somebody entrusts the media to give the truth - which is completely, in this case, skewered.

Just my 2 cents.

Granted, it may or may not have been attempted rape but some folks on this thread are just willing to blow it off like it was nothing. Being pushed into the bushes by a man is a start of something bad. If the women felt threaten, then I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. I don't have to wait for more info or something worst to happen to her to believe her story. If it was you or a women close to you, I doubt you have a cavalier attitude.

Sorry, but I do need more information and if it had been me or a woman close to me, I would have more information and be able to decide if there was an attempted rape or not. I don't think people are blowing it off and seeming cold and uncaring, it's just that there are people in this world that make a splinter into a full grown tree; this causes other people to want to know the whole story before they sit on one side of the fence so to speak.

I agree that getting bumped into some bushes in the middle of a Disney resort doesn't sound like it adds up to attempted rape. :confused3

Ever see that video of the pizza parlor where the lady loses it and has her 300 lb man come and beat the life out of some guy who might have said "let's speed it up" or something like that? Look up Pizza Fight on youtube and you'll see what I'm talking about. :scared1:

It sounds a little over-dramatized to me. If the extent of her story is that she got knocked into some bushes, you'd think she'd at least throw in that she had to wrestle him off or something.

It sounds like a "you bumped into me and now my big, tough husband's going to kick your a**" kind of thing. Why would the husband go directly to the pool area? Maybe because it was just a rude guest on his way to the pool and she probably threatened him with her husband so the guy decided to lay low instead of endure a confrontation with a hot headed husband.

BUT, if it truly was an attempted rape, I'm glad she wasn't hurt and I hope they arrest the guy ASAP before anyone else is hurt.

I guess that since WDW is so magical to us, we kind of see it with a magical view or through rose colored glasses. In reality (eg the everyday world), rapes/attempted rapes/assaults sadly happen way to often.:sad1: There is no way WDW can be exempt. Thankfully it was attempted, not completed. We truly shouldn't be surprised, but it is still surprising. We are staying at Pop in 2008, it surely won't stop me from going but may make me be a bit more aware.

I know one post wondered why the DH was in bed at 6:00 PM. There were two different days (one I went back and one I stayed back all day) where I slept, went to the pool, just relaxed in our room at SSR, while my DH & DS were at the parks. Perhaps this is what her DH did, or maybe he did not feel well. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter