Rap: Music or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CruiserDew73

DIS Veteran
I noticed a lot of debate about this on the boards... Is rap music, or not?

I have to say that is is music, but nothing worth listening to. I don't see any appeal in listening to so guy (or girl) talking fast to a beat.

how u gonna say rap isn't music?
what exactly is your definition of "music"?

1 a : the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity b : vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony

thats what tha dictionary says. im pretty sure rap fits this definition. thats absurd to say rap isn't music.

rap is more than "just talking fast."
rap is about constructing, editing, and producing beats; writing lyrics to fit bars, punchlines, and multi's; flowing proper; making your voice-overs on point; differentiating between the verse and the hook; switching up the flow; making the topic of the song and the tone of the beat coherent.... the list goes on and on. try writing a successful rap song, and get back to me.

You're right, according to the definition of music, rap is music. And I know there are some talented rappers, but, to me, rap seems like a very primitive form of music. All it has is rhythm; there's usually no melody and never any harmony. It just doesn't seem like it would require as much thought as other genres. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by nsyncraider17
You're right, according to the definition of music, rap is music. And I know there are some talented rappers, but, to me, rap seems like a very primitive form of music. All it has is rhythm; there's usually no melody and never any harmony. It just doesn't seem like it would require as much thought as other genres. Just my opinion.

all the best rappers rap with melodies and harmonies. all u need to do is listen to the latest sht from the neptunes, the roots, 50 cent and g-unit, mobb deep, busta, etc... they all rap with melodies n harmonies. matter of fact, i just got back from Rock the mic- snoop had a live orchestra playing with him.
require thought? listen to some joe budden or lloyd banks. or even some underground rap like copywrite, ill bill, cage, and louis logic. they spit stuff that would probably never understand.. way over your head.

WE GET IT WICK...YOU LIKE RAP. LETS NOT TURN THIS THREAD INTO AN ARGUMENT.

they spit stuff that would probably never understand.. way over your head.

AND DONT SAY STUFF LIKE THAT..CUZ ITS MEAN. IM SURE BECCA WOULD BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND..SHES A SMART GIRL.

Im a big listener of rap music, but I'm deff. not as knowledgeable about it as Wick. I would define it as music without a doubt.

Oh and there is stuff out there that rappers say and I dont understand. Most of the stuff is about things from the street, so I dont think Wick ment it as intelectual stuff, more of things that we don't deal with on a day to day basis.

Originally posted by KittieKat
WE GET IT WICK...YOU LIKE RAP. LETS NOT TURN THIS THREAD INTO AN ARGUMENT.

AND DONT SAY STUFF LIKE THAT..CUZ ITS MEAN. IM SURE BECCA WOULD BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND..SHES A SMART GIRL.

i meant that in 2 ways:
1- what most see on tv is what these rappers see first hand. you pass off the lyrics as if its fake or its no big deal. but theres a reason why rappers take months and months to complete just 4 or 5 solid tracks. same goes for any othe genre of music.

2- i seriously doubt that you or becca would be able to catch some of the punchlines spitten by a select few rappers. there are rappers out there (copywrite) whose music is deciphered by college professors. they actually write thesis' and give seminars on the stuff. these rappers arent in the limelight like 50, but theyre still known (probably not by you).

bottom line- anyone who thinks rap is not music is ignorant. sorry if that comes off mean to you, but its the truth. instead of listenin to your audioslave or the used or whoever it is you listen to, try thinking outside the box and stop being judgmental of something you truthfully don't understand.

eh....i guess i can see y rap is music but i hate it. the only good rappers r The Roots and Run DMC. thats it.

I'd consider it music, but nothing I like or listen to. The only part about rap I like is the music in the background. I can't stand all the other stuff. Its too fast to understand sometimes anyways.

Of course it is music. Just because someone doesn't like it doesn't make it not music. I don't like rap music, but you don't see me denying it as a genre in music do you? Some people don't consider an hour long album of Mike Patton talking into voice distorters is music, but it is. Same thing applies to Sludge, Grind, Hardcore, etc genre.

This debate is stupid. Rap is music..... Like I said, just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't music. Close the thread now.

God, this thread is retarded. Their is absolutely no point to arguing. No one is going to win. Some people like it..some dont. No ones going to change their opinions. Stop trying. Personally, I dont like rap...i dont hate it. I would just rather listen to something with a cool guitar solo in it. Im just not a rap person.

AND WICK...HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT BECCA AND I ARENT SMART ENOUGH. I MIGHT NOT GET PART OF IT..BUT THEN WOULD I CARE..NO. IM SURE THAT THEIR IS STUFF THAT I GET BETTER THAN YOU. THIS THREAD IS MAKING ME ANGRY.

bottom line- anyone who thinks rap is not music is ignorant. sorry if that comes off mean to you, but its the truth. instead of listenin to your audioslave or the used or whoever it is you listen to, try thinking outside the box and stop being judgmental of something you truthfully don't understand.

AHHHH..DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED. AND BY THE WAY I DONT LISTEN TO EITHER OF THOSE BANDS.:mad: I DO THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX. THE PERSON HERE WHO ISNT IS YOU. WHY YOU ASK..ILL TELL YOU. APPERENTLY YOU THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX IS ONLY RAP..THEIR ARE SO MANY DIFFERENT GENRES. LISTENING TO ONE IS HIDING IN THE BOX WITH A LOCK ON THE DOOR. DONT TELL ME ABOUT BEING OUTSIDE OF THE BOX. I GET RAP...OK, I JUST DONT LIKE IT. I DONT LIKE IT. IM NOT EVER GOING TO LIKE IT. SO STOP IT. AND BY THE WAY IM NOT JUDGMENTAL..BUT IF YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE NOT YOU MIGHT WANT TO STOP WRITING THINGS ABOUT HOW I AM NOT SMART SINCE YOU DONT EVEN KNOW ME.

I hate rap songs. all it is, is just talking about useless junk to the beat of drums. in my opinoin MUSIC is singing a story that has a point to a melody. But thats just me.

Rap isn't just some stupid words that ppl write, or have ppl write it for them. They write it themselves, i've tried to write a rap before, i can't do it. Some of the things that Eminem sneaks into his raps, things about pop culture are really funny. I also sing, its not that much different. All singing is is sustained talking, Harold Hill, the music man, i was in that!

AHHHH..DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED. AND BY THE WAY I DONT LISTEN TO EITHER OF THOSE BANDS. I DO THINK OUTSIDE

OF THE BOX. THE PERSON HERE WHO ISNT IS YOU. WHY YOU ASK..ILL TELL YOU. APPERENTLY YOU THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX IS ONLY RAP..THEIR ARE SO MANY DIFFERENT GENRES. LISTENING TO ONE IS HIDING IN THE BOX WITH A LOCK ON THE DOOR. DONT TELL ME ABOUT BEING OUTSIDE OF THE BOX. I GET RAP...OK, I JUST DONT LIKE IT. I DONT LIKE IT. IM NOT EVER GOING TO LIKE IT. SO STOP IT. AND BY THE WAY IM NOT JUDGMENTAL..BUT IF YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE NOT YOU MIGHT WANT TO STOP WRITING THINGS ABOUT HOW I AM NOT SMART SINCE YOU DONT EVEN KNOW ME.

whoa.. relax there buddy.. apparently, the only one getting heated about this "retarded" thread is you.

youre the one thats not thinking outside the box- you say rap isn't music.
i HATE country music, but its still music. there are very talented people in that genre. but i still dont listen to it.

I would just rather listen to something with a cool guitar solo in it.

youd be surprised how many hip hop songs have guitar solos or samples in them.

rap is music, yes some of it is talking fast, yet some is singing. it's all computerized or real play beats and rhythms!!!! it is music, just a different type. be open :o

Sheesh guys... Oh course rap is music, I don't enjoy it personally but it is music. This would be like me starting a "Is cheerleading a sport" thread because we all have different opinions and theres no use arguing and not any one person is right about anything all the time. You may think your never wrong but thats the thing.. your wrong right there thinking that...

Now I would like to mention that KittieKat (you are what I like to call a hypocrit) observe...

God, this thread is retarded. Their is absolutely no point to arguing. No one is going to win.

Yes, a very good point. You shoudl have stopped there but no...

AND WICK...HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT BECCA AND I ARENT SMART ENOUGH. I MIGHT NOT GET PART OF IT..BUT THEN WOULD I CARE..NO. IM SURE THAT THEIR IS STUFF THAT I GET BETTER THAN YOU. THIS THREAD IS MAKING ME ANGRY.

Now in my book this is called.. dun dun dun *Insert quotation fingers here* contradicting yourself because you knew when you said that, that it's just going to start another argument. But i thouht that there wasn't any point in arguing. Oh well, you just backed yourself in a corner.

But thats just my two cents.

Originally posted by Wick
how u gonna say rap isn't music?
what exactly is your definition of "music"?

thats what tha dictionary says. im pretty sure rap fits this definition. thats absurd to say rap isn't music.

rap is more than "just talking fast."
rap is about constructing, editing, and producing beats; writing lyrics to fit bars, punchlines, and multi's; flowing proper; making your voice-overs on point; differentiating between the verse and the hook; switching up the flow; making the topic of the song and the tone of the beat coherent.... the list goes on and on. try writing a successful rap song, and get back to me.

Wick! We uderstand! You love rap. OK. Why the heck would i wanna write a rap song for you?? Besides, i don't have a super computer that i can talkinto REALLY fast, and then process it into a jumble of words *ahem* rap for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter