Rant: Carseat Safety

Rule of thumb we were told was if you have to adjust where the straps are normally (ie without the coat) to strap child in they should NOT being wearing it while buckled.

We also warm the car and then carry blankets. No coats were ever allowed to be worn. (We now live in fL so we rarely need to worry about it)

This is good information and a reminder for those who do not know.

My husband had a co worker who lost his grandson this way about 10 years ago. The wreck was right outside the plant, Dad was bringing the little boy to have lunch with grandpa. In that case, the baby's weight was basically thrown against the coat itself, and the zipper appears to have come open and the baby came out of the coat and the straps. Tragic.

How do you keep them warm in the car? I am interested because I didn't know that you were to take off their coats.
tigercat

We lived in colder areas (Wyoming and then Indiana and MIchigan) with babies and toddlers. I either put blankets over the kids (OVER the straps) in the car, or laid their unzipped and unworn coats over the straps and kids like a blanket.

Most of the time if it is truly bitterly cold to the point that being out could be dangerous, we were only dashing from a building to the car, etc and out for 5 minutes or less. Often it was easier and faster to just wrap the baby or toddler in a blanket for that trip to the car, rather than use a coat at all.

I have four kids. Live in Michigan. Had never thought of NOT putting a coat on my child and strapping them into their car seats. I don't know anyone who puts their babies or toddlers into their car seats without a jacket in the winter (I don't mean infant seat where you can throw a blanket over them). Nobody. So your PSA is not very well distributed. I also have four kids who somehow survived being what you consider improperly strapped into their seats. I personally believe that if the strap is snug against your child, with or without a coat, that is sufficient. I have never heard of anyone flying out of a car seat who was PROPERLY strapped in. I have seen plenty of stupid parents not place the chest clip in the proper place. That is the only thing besides a really loose strap that should contribute to a child coming out of their seat in a crash. I don't buy it that a snug strap against a jacket is dangerous.

I think this was a relatively new thing so I can see how people might be unaware.

I have lots of friends with small kids that they post lots of pictures of, but never in carseats, so I don't know what's up with that.

It is not verz new. DD turned 17 todaz and we were told about this when she was born.

This article doesn't state any statistics on kids hurt because of wearing jackets. I talked to my dad about it (he just retired from the fire department and has been to thousands of car accidents) and he has never seen a kid hurt because of wearing a jacket in a car seat. He has seen hypothermia and frostbite and kids fingers turned black from cold because at the cold temperatures and the amount of time to get to accident and cut car open (if need be). So maybe in some places where it doesn't get as cold but not here.

Placing gloves and hats on the child that is safely buckled would likely do more to help in the highly unlikely event of a wreck in which it take emergency services so long to get to the child that hypothermia sets in. In the case we knew of, the child died from being thrown from his seat in a wreck that was not all that bad otherwise and would not have resulted in an incapacitated driver unable to help his son (and it happened in town and others were on the scene in literally seconds)

Just to let those that don't want to take jackets off (which I don't take my kids off) they make jackets that have that thermal reflective make your own heat layer. (Like those silver blankets used by some first responders) I know for sure Columbia makes them because my kids have them. They are so thin it's hard to believe they are winter jackets. We live where it's snowy half the year so the kids are outside in cold weather a lot and they aren't cold in them.

Of course you don't have to justify anything, I was merely pointing out that people (on FB) will probably listen to you if you aren't ranting that is all. You came here to vent and at the same time say you wish people would learn proper car seat safety, seems like a nice thing would have been to also inform them here. I guess the DIS "friends" are okay to vent to, but not good enough to inform, and that is okay.

Stop trying to say what I think of the Dis people. Of course you are good. I also vented on Facebook. I wanted to vent so I vented it doesn't mean I think y'all don't deserve a PSA.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I also have four kids who somehow survived being what you consider improperly strapped into their seats.

I really hate arguments like this. By your logic, why does anyone bother to put kids in car seats at all? When my brother was an infant, my parents used to set him in a basket on the floor of the car by my mom's feet. He survived so I don't know why anyone puts their kids in any kind of car seat. I mean, it would be considered improper because he wasn't strapped into the basket, but he survived just fine.

Both of those compare strapping a child in with the bulky coat, then taking the coat off and putting the child back in the car seat. SURPRISE! The straps are now loose.

I'm guessing if you put the child in a sweatshirt and fleece, strap them in, then remove the sweatshirt and fleece, the straps will be loose.

The article posted earlier only mentions . So how many of the 47 percent were wearing bulky coats?

I appreciate your thoughts, but you haven't shown me any data saying kids are more at risk wearing bulky coats.

FWIW, my youngest is in a booster seat.
That's kind of the point. :confused3 Shows what happens when the coat compresses.
As I mentioned, my kids are out of these seats and just using seat belts, so this doesn't apply to me. What I'm trying to say is if you want to convince some more people, is find some more facts or studies that show how the compression is so detrimental. I'm surprised there's not video somewhere showing a crash test dummy wearing a puffy coat, correctly strapped in, and then slipping out in a crash.
The OP stated a basic fact. Anyone who cares about their children (or grandchildren) who didn't know, can do further research. I don't think it's up to the OP to conduct a carseat safety class here.
Of course you don't have to justify anything, I was merely pointing out that people (on FB) will probably listen to you if you aren't ranting that is all.
You came here to vent and at the same time say you wish people would learn proper car seat safety, seems like a nice thing would have been to also inform them here. I guess the DIS "friends" are okay to vent to, but not good enough to inform, and that is okay.
Did the OP "rant" to people on FB? Because even tho she used the word "rant" here, I don't see anything ranting about it. I see frustration maybe. I could have easily "ranted" about the fools out there who don't use carseats at all and have kids climbing around in the car.

OP, had I not already known this fact about coats in carseats (and I do because I have a DGD and a DD who told me), I would have been looking into this information myself and informing my DD, based on your post, so good for you. Maybe others will put a little energy into learning how to keep their kids safe.

Whether it's new news or not...my youngest is 21, and I don't ever remember hearing this. But maybe it just wasn't as widely put out there, or maybe I was stupid. :confused3

And as far as a PP stating that her kids wear coats and are fine...well, as I stated, I didn't know this information, so my kids wore coats, and yup, they're fine. But I never got into an accident with them. And if you DO get into an accident and they have their coats on, no one is saying that your child will in fact go flying out of the car seat and be injured or killed. Just that the risk exists. Just as there's no 100% guarantee a child not in a carseat at all will be killed in a car accident...just that the risk increases to whatever level...and why take that chance? (Besides the fact that there are laws.)

Stop trying to say what I think of the Dis people. Of course you are good. I also vented on Facebook. I wanted to vent so I vented it doesn't mean I think y'all don't deserve a PSA.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Your PSA isn't based in reality, though. Plenty of people have their kids wear jackets and their seatbelts are perfectly safe.

Your PSA isn't based in reality, though. Plenty of people have their kids wear jackets and their seatbelts are perfectly safe.
Well, this statement made me :scratchin :laughing:
This happened earlier this year to an infant wearing a snowsuit in a properly installed car seat.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Inf...ond-collision-is-recovering.html?pagenum=full

It wasn't too long ago that babies were recommended to sleep on their stomachs, but we now know otherwise. When you know better you do better - why should this be any different?
:thumbsup2 :worship: Having a DGD, after having 3 kids, has been a huge learning experience.

That's kind of the point. :confused3 Shows what happens when the coat compresses.
But that comparison is between a coat that's "full" (100%) vs. no coat (0%). How much does the coat compress when you make the straps snug? How much does the coat compress in an accident?

Anyone who cares about their children (or grandchildren) who didn't know, can do further research. I don't think it's up to the OP to conduct a carseat safety class here.
This kind of inflammatory (IMO) statement does nothing to prove the point. It's those kinds of statements that will put people on the defensive.

It is not verz new. DD turned 17 todaz and we were told about this when she was born.

Placing gloves and hats on the child that is safely buckled would likely do more to help in the highly unlikely event of a wreck in which it take emergency services so long to get to the child that hypothermia sets in. In the case we knew of, the child died from being thrown from his seat in a wreck that was not all that bad otherwise and would not have resulted in an incapacitated driver unable to help his son (and it happened in town and others were on the scene in literally seconds)

Maybe in the city, everywhere we go its on highways and takes a half hour to an hour in some places to the nearest hospital/city with a hospital. That's with good driving conditions. So yeah a hat and gloves may help those. Kids that are thrown from a car seat usually don't have the buckle at chest level.

I have four kids. Live in Michigan. Had never thought of NOT putting a coat on my child and strapping them into their car seats. I don't know anyone who puts their babies or toddlers into their car seats without a jacket in the winter (I don't mean infant seat where you can throw a blanket over them). Nobody. So your PSA is not very well distributed. I also have four kids who somehow survived being what you consider improperly strapped into their seats. I personally believe that if the strap is snug against your child, with or without a coat, that is sufficient. I have never heard of anyone flying out of a car seat who was PROPERLY strapped in. I have seen plenty of stupid parents not place the chest clip in the proper place. That is the only thing besides a really loose strap that should contribute to a child coming out of their seat in a crash. I don't buy it that a snug strap against a jacket is dangerous.

:thumbsup2

So all the car seat data on kids and puffy coats is fiction? Do you consider the benefits of extended rear facing fiction as well? Technology constantly changes and I personally am not going to take any unneeded risks with my kids just because other people do it and they're ok.

Sorry to rant but I'm so tired of seeing pics of kids on Facebook or Instagram with heavy costs/jackets on while buckled in their carseat. This is not safe. It doesn't properly restrain the child and if you were to get into an accident the child can be ejected from their carseat.

Thank you for this important reminder! I am surprised by the backlash you are getting from this important safety fact.

Having an infant myself we also do not use coats in the car except his fleece hoodie which is very thin. Chicago can get very cold so we warm up the car and use blankets on top of him. We also put warm booties and a hat on him to help keep him warm.

I guess you could compare this to bumpers in cribs. Yes, many children had bumpers in their cribs and survived no problem. However, there were a few that did not survive because of the bumper. You can still use bumpers in your crib, it's your choice, but just like jackets in car seats you can be aware of the safety facts and make the decision yourself.

Edited to add: when my aunt bought a car seat for my cousin who is now 26, my great grandma remarked 'what a waste of money, why would anyone need one of those...' Interesting how things change over time.

[I have four kids. Live in Michigan. Had never thought of NOT putting a coat on my child and strapping them into their car seats. I don't know anyone who puts their babies or toddlers into their car seats without a jacket in the winter (I don't mean infant seat where you can throw a blanket over them). Nobody. So your PSA is not very well distributed. I also have four kids who somehow survived being what you consider improperly strapped into their seats. I personally believe that if the strap is snug against your child, with or without a coat, that is sufficient. I have never heard of anyone flying out of a car seat who was PROPERLY strapped in. I have seen plenty of stupid parents not place the chest clip in the proper place. That is the only thing besides a really loose strap that should contribute to a child coming out of their seat in a crash. I don't buy it that a snug strap against a jacket is dangerous.

My dds are 14 and 11, we live in Michigan, and I knew this when they were in car seats. And yes, we did remive thier heavy winter coats off in the car. They wore their fleece, hats, and gloves in the car.

Emily

This happened earlier this year to an infant wearing a snowsuit in a properly installed car seat.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Inf...ond-collision-is-recovering.html?pagenum=full

It wasn't too long ago that babies were recommended to sleep on their stomachs, but we now know otherwise. When you know better you do better - why should this be any different?

The car seat may have been properly installed, but it doesn't mean he was properly strapped in.

From the link

Authorities say they believe that Blaney had Gabriel in his car seat -- it's unlikely that he would have survived otherwise -- but there is no way to tell immediately how effectively he was secured.

Miss used car seats have been a problem from day 1. Yet there is nothing else that so easily protects our little ones of the cars seats are used properly.

Most of those puffy coats that are a problem are also made out of a slick material which I always hated to easy for the kid to slide when I was carrying an if I had to carry the coat an let kid walk the coat was always trying to slip out of my arms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter