Rant: Carseat Safety

Yup. But I only have 2 kids, so what do I know? ;)

It's nothing about the number of kids. I don't think that because I have 5 kids I know more or anything like that. I only shared my number of kids because I know what a pain it is to get them in and out of the car and remove and put coats on. It takes time and is a big pain but I feel that it is worth it

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

This article doesn't state any statistics on kids hurt because of wearing jackets. I talked to my dad about it (he just retired from the fire department and has been to thousands of car accidents) and he has never seen a kid hurt because of wearing a jacket in a car seat. He has seen hypothermia and frostbite and kids fingers turned black from cold because at the cold temperatures and the amount of time to get to accident and cut car open (if need be). So maybe in some places where it doesn't get as cold but not here.

Sorry to rant but I'm so tired of seeing pics of kids on Facebook or Instagram with heavy costs/jackets on while buckled in their carseat. This is not safe. It doesn't properly restrain the child and if you were to get into an accident the child can be ejected from their carseat. I have 5 kids so I know how annoying and time consuming it is to take the jackets on and off but the child's life sure is worth it. I just wish people would learn about proper carseat safety.

Rant over

So instead of ranting and wishing people would learn proper carseat safety on FB when you see those posts do you at least educate them with your knowledge of how and why its unsafe. People may not be aware, I certainly wasn't and my kids were always buckled into carseats with their coats on. And not that your "rant" would have been ignored, but I'd be more inclined to listen to a concerned friend than an annoyed rant from one KWIM
Why come here to rant, how about informing the DIS parents.

Even car seat manufacturers say to remove thick and puffy jackets and snowsuits before buckling children in. You can see in the video and pictures that you can't get car seat straps tight enough when the child is wearing a thick or puffy jacket. Look how loose the straps get if the jacket is compressed. It doesn't matter to me what your dad did or did not observe. I have done my research and I would never let my child wear a jacket in her carseat.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=151522

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5AwtaQnNO8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

So instead of ranting and wishing people would learn proper carseat safety on FB when you see those posts do you at least educate them with your knowledge of how and why its unsafe. People may not be aware, I certainly wasn't and my kids were always buckled into carseats with their coats on. And not that your "rant" would have been ignored, but I'd be more inclined to listen to a concerned friend than an annoyed rant from one KWIM Why come here to rant, how about informing the DIS parents.

Yes I have told them and they are thankful but I've also seen posts in groups and tagged that I couldn't educate and I felt like I just wanted to rant. I don't have to justify what and how I post something. I needed to get something out and vent. So I did.

Move to Houston and never worry about this again! No puffy coat needed. A hooded fleece is almost always enough.

Even car seat manufacturers say to remove thick and puffy jackets and snowsuits before buckling children in. You can see in the video and pictures that you can't get car seat straps tight enough when the child is wearing a thick or puffy jacket. Look how loose the straps get if the jacket is compressed. It doesn't matter to me what your dad did or did not observe. I have done my research and I would never let my child wear a jacket in her carseat. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=151522 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5AwtaQnNO8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I agree and I've shared those links to others and have been told that they had no clue about the jackets. They were so thankful

Have you seen the Kyle Miller booster seat video? That makes me bawl everytime I see it and changed when I let my kids in booster seats

OP I understand. At the beginning of the winter season I posted a reminder on my facebook not to let your kid wear a puffy coat in the car. Thankfully I don't live where it is super cold, so the boys usually just wear a sweatshirt in the car.

Even car seat manufacturers say to remove thick and puffy jackets and snowsuits before buckling children in. You can see in the video and pictures that you can't get car seat straps tight enough when the child is wearing a thick or puffy jacket. Look how loose the straps get if the jacket is compressed. It doesn't matter to me what your dad did or did not observe. I have done my research and I would never let my child wear a jacket in her carseat.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=151522

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5AwtaQnNO8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Both of those compare strapping a child in with the bulky coat, then taking the coat off and putting the child back in the car seat. SURPRISE! The straps are now loose.

I'm guessing if you put the child in a sweatshirt and fleece, strap them in, then remove the sweatshirt and fleece, the straps will be loose.

The article posted earlier only mentions
According to a recent news release from the Minnesota Department of Public Safety, of the 30 children ages 0-7 killed and 4,021 injured in Minnesota crashes from 2006 to 2010, 47 percent were not properly secured.
. So how many of the 47 percent were wearing bulky coats?

I appreciate your thoughts, but you haven't shown me any data saying kids are more at risk wearing bulky coats.

FWIW, my youngest is in a booster seat.

Both of those compare strapping a child in with the bulky coat, then taking the coat off and putting the child back in the car seat. SURPRISE! The straps are now loose.

I'm guessing if you put the child in a sweatshirt and fleece, strap them in, then remove the sweatshirt and fleece, the straps will be loose.

The article posted earlier only mentions . So how many of the 47 percent were wearing bulky coats?

I appreciate your thoughts, but you haven't shown me any data saying kids are more at risk wearing bulky coats.

FWIW, my youngest is in a booster seat.

The point is that the puffy jacks "deflate" when compressed in a car accident which in turn loosens the straps like they aren't wearing the jacket at all. A child can easily be ejected. Sweatshirts and fleece shirts don't compress the same way puffy jackets do so they are generally more secure if they are fitted correctly.

Go ahead and leave things as they are. I am simply stating what I would do and why...and what the manufacturers tell you to do.

The point is that the puffy jacks "deflate" when compressed in a car accident which in turn loosens the straps like they aren't wearing the jacket at all. A child can easily be ejected. Sweatshirts and fleece shirts don't compress the same way puffy jackets do so they are generally more secure if they are fitted correctly.

Go ahead and leave things as they are. I am simply stating what I would do and why...and what the manufacturers tell you to do.

Are you talking about the marshmallow type jackets deflating? I'm looking at DD's "puffy" coat right now and there is no was it deflates. It's stuffed with batting or whatever they use.:confused3

Are you talking about the marshmallow type jackets deflating? I'm looking at DD's "puffy" coat right now and there is no was it deflates. It's stuffed with batting or whatever they use.:confused3

You can find more information than I have the time to post just by googling "winter car seat safety".

Deflate or compress. If you can smush the coat down with your hand then it shouldn't be worn in a car seat.

Deflate or compress. If you can smush the coat down with your hand then it shouldn't be worn in a car seat.

When our youngest was born, we took her seat the fire dept to be installed and I had her in a thicker coat because we were having an unusually cold winter. They installed the seat and then asked me to put her in it. They tightened up the straps properly and then asked me to remove her without adjusting the straps. I did and then they asked me to put her back. The straps were so loose at that point that I could remove her without unbuckling her. They said during an accident that the coat is compressed and a child can easily fly out of the seat. That was enough for me. We stopped putting the kids in their coats in the car and started tossing a fleece blanket on top of them when they were buckled properly.

As I mentioned, my kids are out of these seats and just using seat belts, so this doesn't apply to me. What I'm trying to say is if you want to convince some more people, is find some more facts or studies that show how the compression is so detrimental. I'm surprised there's not video somewhere showing a crash test dummy wearing a puffy coat, correctly strapped in, and then slipping out in a crash.

As I mentioned, my kids are out of these seats and just using seat belts, so this doesn't apply to me. What I'm trying to say is if you want to convince some more people, is find some more facts or studies that show how the compression is so detrimental. I'm surprised there's not video somewhere showing a crash test dummy wearing a puffy coat, correctly strapped in, and then slipping out in a crash.

You can find facts that support your opinion, no matter what your opinion is.

Yes I have told them and they are thankful but I've also seen posts in groups and tagged that I couldn't educate and I felt like I just wanted to rant. I don't have to justify what and how I post something. I needed to get something out and vent. So I did.

Of course you don't have to justify anything, I was merely pointing out that people (on FB) will probably listen to you if you aren't ranting that is all.
You came here to vent and at the same time say you wish people would learn proper car seat safety, seems like a nice thing would have been to also inform them here. I guess the DIS "friends" are okay to vent to, but not good enough to inform, and that is okay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter