Randy Chapman - Please post links to your wedding photos and comments :)

rrali33tt

Mouseketeer
I think I am going to go with Randy as my photographer. The deal with him and STVS is just unbeatable. However, in order to be absolutely sure I would really appreciate if past Dis Brides could post links to your photos from Randy as well as any overall comments you have about his services. Randy and Stan just seem like fun easygoing guys. My fiancee and I are silly at times and just love to have a good time. I want my pictures to be more creative and fun rather than just basic portrait style (that is what the MK photo shoot is for ;).

Thanks!

Hi there! I hired Randy as well! He will be shooting our wedding in November. When is your wedding? I didn't book Stan just because we have a large wedding I wasn't sure if his technique of shooting our wedding would've been enough to capture everything. That's the n,y reason why we went with Trinity. I can't wait to see all the pictures dis brides post =)

Hi there! I hired Randy as well! He will be shooting our wedding in November. When is your wedding? I didn't book Stan just because we have a large wedding I wasn't sure if his technique of shooting our wedding would've been enough to capture everything. That's the n,y reason why we went with Trinity. I can't wait to see all the pictures dis brides post =)

I am still 16 months out, so penciled in for 8/31/14. I am probably booking earlier than most people do, but I need to know my budget because my fiancee and I are paying for the wedding ourselves.

How large is your wedding? I think I will have 140 people invited max. WP/ADH. I will take a look at Trinity. I think I have emailed about 10 different photographers/videographers over the past week. So much info!

We sent out 75 save the dates. So I'm inviting around 140 guest give or take. I know they won't all show up. The only reason why I went with trinity was bc I was getting four camera at the ceremony and two at the reception. Do your research. Talk to them on the phone. See who matches your style! I called a ton of videographers before making my decision. Randy was super easy to book. When we met him in person we knew he was our guy! =)

We didn't even get to meet with Randy before our wedding, but it was great working with him.
Although there was a big miss on his part, which is still a HUGE deal to me, the quality and style of his photos were great.
We also, are not a very serious couple, and I stressed that to Randy going in, here are some of the photos he took of us:

May I ask what the big miss was? I want to make sure it doesn't happen to us. Your pictures look great btw. =)

Ok...understand it hurts to even type this out. And I don't know why this happened and I don't think it happened to anyone else, but....

There are ABSOLUTELY NO PICTURES OF ME AND MY FAMILY OR ME AND DH AND MY FAMILY, OR ME AND DH AND HIS FAMILY. OR the families together etc.

Basically, after the weddng, Randy only took pics of me and DH. Which, dont get me wrong, we love.

Now, should I have said something? I guess. IDK. But to be honest I was 100% caught up in the moment. I didn't even realize it until way after the wedding when I think it was my mom, asked me. I almost threw up when all of sudden, I realized she was right. I had not one picture of me (portraity) and my mom....(or my brothers) on my wedding day.
Now, I did not give Randy a list of pictures I wanted. Because I thought that was more for, certain poses or locations etc. I did not think I had to give him a list of who to take photos of. Maybe it was wrong of me to assume, IDK....because....
He did take DH and his family and DH and my family before the ceremony. This is why I do not get it. I don't feel it was up to me to mention.
That is the one HUGE thing I regret from my wedding day.

All that beind said, I don't think it's anything you would have to worry about, because again...I have not heard one single bride who used Randy complain about this happening. It was just my very bad luck I guess. IDK.

Oh, and this is the first time I ever even mentioned this on the DIS.

Ok...understand it hurts to even type this out. And I don't know why this happened and I don't think it happened to anyone else, but....

There are ABSOLUTELY NO PICTURES OF ME AND MY FAMILY OR ME AND DH AND MY FAMILY, OR ME AND DH AND HIS FAMILY. OR the families together etc.

Basically, after the weddng, Randy only took pics of me and DH. Which, dont get me wrong, we love.

Now, should I have said something? I guess. IDK. But to be honest I was 100% caught up in the moment. I didn't even realize it until way after the wedding when I think it was my mom, asked me. I almost threw up when all of sudden, I realized she was right. I had not one picture of me (portraity) and my mom....(or my brothers) on my wedding day.
Now, I did not give Randy a list of pictures I wanted. Because I thought that was more for, certain poses or locations etc. I did not think I had to give him a list of who to take photos of. Maybe it was wrong of me to assume, IDK....because....
He did take DH and his family and DH and my family before the ceremony. This is why I do not get it. I don't feel it was up to me to mention.

All that beind said, I don't think it's anything you would have to worry about, because again...I have not heard one single bride who used Randy complain about this happening. It was just my very bad luck I guess. IDK.

So sorry to hear about your situation. My MOH/cousin actually had the same problem with her photographer up here in NY. She had no family pictures and hated the ones that she actually had. She told me to make sure I make a list of all the photos I want. Randy sent me a timeline of how the day would go for photos and specifically scheduled an hour of family photos after the ceremony at WP. My wedding consultant at DFTW also said that the normal timeline is family portraits at WP after the ceremony (before i spoke to Randy).

Omg I am so sorry that happen to you. Thank you for sharing. I know how hard it must be to relive that moment. By you sharing it gives us future brides something to keep in mind. Like you said we are 100% wrapped up in the moment.

I have actually heard of Randy missing critical shots for other couples. Sorry that it happened to you too.

Make a list of all the shots you want before your wedding. Send him a copy and have someone at the wedding bring a copy just to make sure! It would be heartbreaking to miss some important ones! We eloped, and we were very happy with our pictures from Randy.

I never finished my trip report but there is a link to my planning journal in my signature. DH and I were thrilled with Randy and our pictures. In fact, we plan on doing another shoot with DH's sister and her husband in another two years when we take a trip together.

I have actually heard of Randy missing critical shots for other couples. Sorry that it happened to you too.

Oh man! If I had heard this before our wedding, I DEFINITELY would have given him a list even if I thought it was overkill etc.

I actually used to work in the photography business before I started my family, so I know about all of this. This can actually happen with very VERY good photographers. Some things to keep in mind: The photographer does not know you or your family. He/She doesn't know if you are close with a particular relative, who can't stand eachother, who's the 'thunder stealer', in some cases if you act like you you are on cloud nine and you don't give some direction he/she will continue to take as many shots of the bride and groom as possible. On the wedding day itself, it feels great, almost like you are a celebrity so most brides and grooms are only too happy to ham it up for the camera, and you SHOULD, it is your day. But keep in mind, if you NEED certain shots taken to keep family happy and have the memories you want for later you need to tell your photographer what you want and who you need pictures of. Here is the best way to make sure you have the pictures you need.

Lists are good, but if it becomes tedious and too descriptive it may be insulting and tossed aside. The photographer is a professional and you should trust his/her artistic ability. Describing at length how you want a picture posed may not only be insulting but it is also unnecessary. You can rearrange people at the time of the pose, not before hand on paper.

This is EXTREMELY important...you need a 'ring leader' like a best friend or a sister..someone who knows the entire family and is for lack of a better word, dominating.
Too often it is time for a group shot, but mom is on the dance floor and aunt Tilly is at the bar. YOu need a 'go to' person to wrangle everyone together and won't take no for an answer. This is not the bride or groom's job and it's not the photographer's job either. Remember, he doesn't know your family or that you need shots with your old college friends. He/she knows how to pose and lighting and what looks good.

You should feel comfortable enough with the 'ring leader' to say "I need my inlaws together for a group shot" and she/he runs off and gets them quickly.

Don't 'Shoo' your photographer away! I once saw a bride so moved during her father daughter dance that she became annoyed with the photographer and shooed him away. She then was in tears because she had 'no pictures with her dad on the dancefloor'

If you do not like a pose, tell your photographer at the time. He/She will be happy to rearrange it! If you have a 'good side' don't expect the photographer to know that! Or maybe you have a scar on your right cheek and don't want it in pictures, tell him/her ahead of time you only want to be shot from a certain side.

Believe me I used to work in the photography business and I had a fabulous photographer for my own wedding, but I was disappointed in some of my pictures and some pictures I really wanted were missed too. I've also been to weddings where not one family member from the grooms side was photographed. It happens, even with the best photographers but the key is to be aware enough to get the necessary pictures out of the way FIRST then enjoy your day...have your 'ring leader' keep you on track, maybe give the list to her/him of pictures you need and have her/him check them off as they are done! I hope I'm not insulting anyone, I'm just speaking from experience, hope the tips help!

Great advice ChickyRootie, thank you!

My MOH/cousin is def the one to be my go to person. She is the best person for that job!

My MOH/cousin is def the one to be my go to person. She is the best person for that job!

That's great...that's really what your bridesmaids and MOH are for! Not just to wear pretty dresses and pose in pictures. Your friends in your wedding party are there to help you! :thumbsup2

Here are just a few of my wedding pictures:

http://magicaldayweddings.com/walt-disney-world-wedding-mary-daniel/

On her blog she has many other wedding done by Randy. Much more recent then ours. We adored him. We did get to meet him before the wedding. We had an engagement session and our rehearsal dinner/ illuminations welcome party where he met the family and most of the guests. I also discussed with him (via a few phone discussions) the style I wanted. I was very happy.

Yeah, I didn't have anyone like that really. MY SIL and DM really didn't help with the planning at all. It was up to me and only me. That's why these boards and the other DISbrides I connected with were so important.

On the other hand, Carrie (Lurkyloo) was there and if I had known what was going to happen, I totally would have asked Carrie to help out!! I know she would have done a great job.

I liked him well enough but I never got any edited pictures although edits were in our contract and I even contacted him twice about it after the wedding. I gave up and have no edits but had my husband photo shop some to have blown up. He gave us TONS of pictures but really at the end of the day I liked about 20, but I'm sure that would have happened with any photographer.

I am a bit bitter still about the no edits though.

I liked him well enough but I never got any edited pictures although edits were in our contract and I even contacted him twice about it after the wedding. I gave up and have no edits but had my husband photo shop some to have blown up. He gave us TONS of pictures but really at the end of the day I liked about 20, but I'm sure that would have happened with any photographer.

I am a bit bitter still about the no edits though.

ummm...that totally sucks!!! I think this is a HUGE miss on his part! Especially that it is in the contract! (I mean, taking pics of my me and my family was not specifically in the contract obviously, so I think you not getting your edits is basically just as bad, if not worse!)

I would be bitter too!!! :furious:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter