Random thought as we get ready to go home...

Easto

Mouseketeer
Staying at the Poly was great. We had a room 1st floor in Fiji overlooking the marina. Probably one of the best standard views rooms you can get.

The food at Captian Cooks was getting tiresome.

Tonga Toast should be eaten with strawberry compote.

Ohana dinner is the bomb!

Ohana bread pudding is an awesome way to finish an awesome dinner.

FP+ was handy

Everyone plans their day at Disney. I have seen many threads asking if planning so much is necessary. 100% it is. If you want to hit the highlight rides and not wait. Everyone is planning, by planning you are just keeping up with the majority- it keeps you up with everyone. Failing to plan pit lane you at a big disadvantage. IMO plan in advance and take the stress away at the park and save hours and hours of waiting.

The monorail is super handy

The bus home at the end of Fantadmic was a gong show.

Yes it's hot in August

Yes it rains in August

Yes I'll go back in August

The parks felt busy walking around, but the wait times I noticed (especially later in the day) priced the crowds were moderate-low

I won't do another pre-park ADR. If you want to be out of breakfast before rope drop you have to rush your meal you likely paid $100+ for bacon and eggs. Not worth it to me.

Memory maker is worth the price.

I don't understand the long wait for Peter Pan. I found Little Mermaid more entertaining and we walked on twice in a row.

Taking afternoon breaks to swim were life savers. Thanks MK monorail.

Drinks lots of water.

...... More random thoughts to come.

Keeping cool:

Here is the truth: You can't!

It's a billion degrees, it's humid, it's not pleasant.

You find ways to deal with the heat. Drink tons of water. Disney gives free ice water. Those frog towels help. Jumping into Air conditioned buildings for a break. Basically all the obvious stuff.

It's real hot, other than finding air conditioning you'll have a hard time cooling off.

Another big one, if you can get back to your resort easily (monorail) take a break 1:00-5:00 or so.

So on point and helpful for other travelers! Sounds like a great trip. I was lucky enough to do a poly club level 4th of July holiday trip...Hot/busy!! The monorail sure was a great advantage as u mentioned... And that bread pudding YUMMY!!
Thx for sharing.

Any tips on keeping cool?

You'll sweat all day. Period. But this past trip I took (end of July into August) was extremely hot. I remember sitting in an uber on the way back to Epcot at 8:45 pm and my watch read 98*.

We've also stayed first floor in Fiji overlooking the marina and I agree, for a standard it is awesome!

I was over at the Poly for lunch a few times. I found standing in line for 30 minutes to place an order VERY tiring. I felt like the resort was overcrowded and small. Staying over at The Grand Floridian, things have a little breathing space. I'm curious to know your thoughts? I stayed at the Poly years ago....and like the changes. But the crowds were a little high -- especially if I'm going "home" to relax after battling crowds in the parks.

I wonder how the wait at the Oasis pool counter compares to Captain Cook?

I think Captain Cook is a victim of its own success. In July, we thought it was, by far, the best overall food and variety we have ever had at a deluxe QS.
... But it's not a big food court like a value.

We just got back on Aug 20. I agree with keeping cool, there really is no way to keep cool when the real feel temp is over 100 every day!! The only way is to get into some air conditioning or have a TS meal to relax a bit. Air conditioned queues help also, as well as heading back for a rest at your resort.

Keeping cool:

You find ways to deal with the heat. Drink tons of water. Disney gives free ice water. Those frog towels help. Jumping into Air conditioned buildings for a break. Basically all the obvious stuff.

It's real hot, other than finding air conditioning you'll have a hard time cooling off.

Another big one, if you can get back to your resort easily (monorail) take a break 1:00-5:00 or so.

Something no one on the boards ever suggests, but when I went to a fire spinning festival this summer, they were selling damp sarongs, and man, that is amazing. You wrap up in them, wet, it protects you from the sun, and evaporative cooling keeps you feeling nice. Plus it's protection from mosquitoes!

Like your sense of humor. Thanks for writing this up. I agree with many of your points.

Dan

Something no one on the boards ever suggests, but when I went to a fire spinning festival this summer, they were selling damp sarongs, and man, that is amazing. You wrap up in them, wet, it protects you from the sun, and evaporative cooling keeps you feeling nice. Plus it's protection from mosquitoes!

Please expand on this - I'm fascinated! What is a fire spinning festival?

Book your 3 FP+ like this

1- 9:00-10:00
2- 10:00-11:00
3- 11:00-12:00

Use your first FP close to 10, then right away go to FP2.

Some time between 11-12 use the last one then think about going back to the pool.

Come back around dinner time.

I thought this take a break thing was for sissies, but it actually a great use of time.

Keeping cool:

This is why I do not go to WDW in June, July or August (and I generally will also skip September to miss the tail end of hurricane season)...I used to live in FL and you will never catch me anywhere near the place in the summer. Horribly hot. Horribly humid. All around unbearable. And yet, people go and then complain it is hot and humid....

Reactions: bek
More thoughts:

Do laundry. In August you'll sweat and your clothes will be too gross to wear again. $3 for a wash $3 for a dry and you won't stink. Seriously, don't repeat clothes before washing.

Magical express: don't use the luggage tags. Pick up your own bags and bring them to the bus yourself. That way you have all your crap as soon as you get to the resort.

Dole Whip is still awesome.

Mickey waffles taste like non Mickey Waffles.

Captain Cook's food was getting tiresome.

The sushi at Kona Island is supposed to be amazing. My wife says so.

Kona Island has great coffee

Kona Island servers all the same food as Kona Cafe. Hint hint if you don't have a reservation.

The lizards are impossible to catch.

I didn't see 1 mosquito while on vacation.

I saw a gator, at the airport, before taking off.

I saw what appeared to be a gator trap while on the monorail between GF and MK.

It's hot in August

Polynesian Lobby smells awesome.

World of Disney store at Disney Springs is so awesome.

Earl of Dandwich in Disney Spring is like Sunbay, just 1 galizzion times better. Food is awesome.

Wolfgang Puck Express in Disney Spring was really good too.

I hate how many people reserve chairs by the pool, but never once put their *** in the chair. Who claim a chair you're not going to use?

That's all for now ........

Peter Pan is classic. Holds a special place in the hearts of long time visitors. Slow loading so lines back up. Glad you had a great trip!! We've gone in August a few times and have enjoyed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter