Random Question just for Fun

Boog's Mommy

A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes...
I love some of the lingo the English use vs. the lingo Americans use. For example, the English say "My child is attending University" instead of "college". They say "I was on holiday" instead of "vacation". They say "bullocks" which sounds so much nicer than our American alternatives. (hee hee)

What are some of your favorite words, slangs, etc regardless of country?

One time I was shopping at a store in Disney World at Hollywood Studios and I heard a young English boy (maybe 5 yrs old) ask his Dad...."Father, do I have enough money to buy this?". He had the sweetest little accent. His dad was happy to buy him the souvenir he wanted. It's a good thing too, because my heart was melting for he was so adorable. I might have bought it for him myself. (wink)

I always found the word "fanny" to be quite entertaining. I have an English friend who was visiting and another friend threatened to smack her on the fanny, teasing her, and her eyes bugged out of her head and she told him she's slap him if he tried. After a moment of confusion, we discovered that "fanny" may be the back side in this country, but it's the front side in England.

DS is 15, and has had soccer coaches who are either from England or Scotland since he was 9. We have been hearing some of their lingo for years now, and some of it has creeped into our family.

We were in England last August with his team, and the boys were having ice cream on the bank of the river Avon, and a little boy and his dad walked by us. I heard the little guy tell his dad, "Daddy, they sound just like the people on the telly" :happytv: Very cute

Missy13d69 said:
I always found the word "fanny" to be quite entertaining. I have an English friend who was visiting and another friend threatened to smack her on the fanny, teasing her, and her eyes bugged out of her head and she told him she's slap him if he tried. After a moment of confusion, we discovered that "fanny" may be the back side in this country, but it's the front side in England.

Hee hee! I do always have a bit of a giggle when I hear someone from the States mention their fanny!

What the English must thing of all those Americans wearing "fanny packs":rotfl2:

I love most accents. English, Scottish, Irish, French, Italian, so on... To me it seems romantic. I wonder though if I was abroad would people think the same of my American accent. I'm from Baltimore, MD and I try NOT to have a "Bawlmer" accent. Many of us say "yous guys" instead of "you guys", or "idear" instead of "idea". Everyone you address is "hon". It's definitely a culture. I was on the safari ride at Animal Kingdom and the driver totally had a Baltimore accent. After the ride was over I asked if he was from Baltimore and he said Yes. I told him I could tell from his accent. LOL

Not for nothing, but it's 'bollocks.'

A couple of boys I know who happened to be in the States at the time the movie was released here were quite keen to acquire 'Free Willy' posters to take home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter