Raise your hand if you are glad there were no cell phones/digital cameras....

I'm so glad that cell phones weren't around when I was a kid and a teenager. We actually hung out and talked to each other rather than sat in large groups with our faces in our phones. I *do* wish we had digital cameras, though. Like a PP said, there'd be more photos to document our lives back then. Most of our family photos were taken at some gathering or another. Not a lot of our daily lives. I had a One Shot Polaroid which was sort of like a prehistoric digital camera in that you got instant photos, but the film was so expensive I hardly used it.

Ouch!!
Who are you calling prehistoric? :D

Last edited:
Bwahahah...I actually had one of those! Seriously, I can't remember doing too much that would have come back to haunt me but I MIGHT HAVE if digital was a thing simply so it could be recorded. I had a bit of a "here goes nothing" attitude that really could have been stimulated by the possibilities of snapchat and a little egging-on. I guess the kids today call it YOLO?

While digital photography would have been cool as a kid, I am so glad I was done with school by the time social media took off. Middle school was hard enough without it.

There really wasn't much I'd be embarrassed about today if it was recorded years ago. But I'm usually mortified by the CLOTHES I was wearing while doing even innocent stuff. :scared1: And my long hair.

Im 48 and I 1000% wish we had this technology during my crazy days.. It would have been great to have proof to back our stories. And to be able to instantly relive those days.

When I was young and we intended to do something we were not supposed to do, the goal was to do it and NOT GET CAUGHT EVER. We were largely successful. Today, doing anything does not "count" unless the teens broadcast it to the world on social media. Thus, they get caught. I find that incredibly stupid. You can't deny, deny, deny if there is documented proof of the wrongdoing.

DD's class went on a field trip and some kids did something they should not have done. A very bad thing. Police worthy. They filmed it and put it on social media. It took one hour to get from the field trip back to the school. In that hour, the school administration already knew about it and was waiting to question the kids. There were serious consequences. First, the kids were idiots to do what they did. Second, they were even bigger idiots to put it on social media. But they are like addicts. They simply cannot help themselves.

I just hope I never have a negative moment in public that becomes social media worthy. Let alone posting it myself. I feel bad for my kids growing up this way, head down with their phone super glued to their hand.

I was born in the mid eighties and it was just starting when I was in jr high. I don't even want to think about all the cringe worthy times I would not want to relive.

I've only got a few things that I'm glad weren't recorded, but I'm EXTREMELY glad of those! They were fun, a couple were, um...illegal, shall we say? And nobody got hurt or lost anything. Then again, I was born in 1950. I think the only old pictures of me that exist are on cave walls.

Cellphones, and other related devices, weren't really a "thing" until I was almost done with High School. Working with students now, I am VERY glad they were not widespread in my younger years. So much bullying, nude photos, etc. caused by them. My kids are going to hate me; they aren't getting phones until they are well into High school. And even then, they will be restricted. Bring on the drama, I guess... lol

Im 48 and I 1000% wish we had this technology during my crazy days.. It would have been great to have proof to back our stories. And to be able to instantly relive those days.

I was thinking the same thing! I'm 56 and I wish all this stuff was around when I was younger...yeah I did dumb things but I had some an awesome time doing things that weren't so dumb and had so much fun that I would have liked that kind of trail now to look back on. We have some pictures but nothing like there is now.

I have different feelings. Glad social media wasn't there for some moments but would have loved it to have kept in touch with friends and texting would have been wonderful in college days trying to meet up with everyone! Trying to coordinate times and places could get crazy so texting would have been awesome (although I did have a pager back then and though the guy who had the cell phone with the over was sook cool) lol wow those were the days! Seems like a lifetime ago!

I would have LOVED having a digital camera when I was a kid! I was always using up rolls of film and getting yelled at by my parents because of the expense of film and processing. Honestly though, I'm kind of glad they were not available yet as I'm not a big fan of embarrassing photos and I have the sort of family that loves to share.

As far as cell phones, I'm overjoyed they didn't exist during my teenage years. I liked having the opportunity to get in small bits of trouble without actually getting in trouble. My current phone is rarely out of reach but there are many days when I wish I could just throw it in a lake. Being available 24/7 is not awesome.

I remember really limiting the pics we took at WDW when kids were young-BECAUSE THE FILM AND DEVELOPING WAS SO EXPENSIVE! LOL

Bwahahah...I actually had one of those! Seriously, I can't remember doing too much that would have come back to haunt me but I MIGHT HAVE if digital was a thing simply so it could be recorded. I had a bit of a "here goes nothing" attitude that really could have been stimulated by the possibilities of snapchat and a little egging-on. I guess the kids today call it YOLO?

Our DD told her dad that he is not to use YOLO. Apparently there is some teen code that forbids its use by those over 20. He loves to yank her chain about those kinds of things because she gives him a look, followed by, no, dad, just no. I love to wind her up by mentioning "the Twitter" in conversation.

I remember really limiting the pics we took at WDW when kids were young-BECAUSE THE FILM AND DEVELOPING WAS SO EXPENSIVE! LOL

I think that's the reason why many of us Boomers don't take that many pictures. We grew up with pictures costing money and haven't really changed our mindset.

Our DD told her dad that he is not to use YOLO. Apparently there is some teen code that forbids its use by those over 20. He loves to yank her chain about those kinds of things because she gives him a look, followed by, no, dad, just no. I love to wind her up by mentioning "the Twitter" in conversation.
Oh, please, please spin this off into a thread entitled "Things We Say Just to Mess With our Kids"...:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter