Rainy days - Survival in the parks ?

pooh2001

been there, done that, TRYING to go back
We are planning June 2011.
We have always gone to WDW in April for lovely weather.

:confused3 June/July - rainy days ? :confused3

Does it really rain everyday ?
I checked the weather web and it says 30% chance of t-storms.
So do you think it did rain today, Monday, June 28, 2010 ?

How do you survive the WDW parks if it rains everyday ?

:rotfl: We do not want to be wet every day. :rotfl:

We are planning June 2011.
We have always gone to WDW in April for lovely weather.

June/July - rainy days ?

1-Does it really rain everyday ?
I checked the weather web and it says 30% chance of t-storms.
2- So do you think it did rain today, Monday, June 28, 2010 ?

3- How do you survive the WDW parks if it rains everyday ?

1- No, and certainly not everywhere.

2- Not everywhere. It can be raining at Epcot and sunny in MK (or vice versa.)

3- Wear your ponchos and enjoy the parks with far fewer other guests!

One trip I took in August, it rained every day. Believe me when I tell you, it did not ruin our trip at all. You're in Disney. A rainy day there is better than a sunny day at work. The South is going to have rain in the summer months. Now, that being said, when it does rain in the south, it doesn't last all day long. (usually) it usually rains in the afternoon for an hour or less. It's just the nature of the beast. We're packing ponchos for our Sept trip....I hope it doesn't rain, but if it does, we'll be ready I guess. :goodvibes

We live in MS, and sometimes we'll get out of work and the roads will have puddles and you know it just poured. ( but the sun will be out).

Just pack ponchos so you're ready. When (if ) it rains, duck into a ride or a shop until it's over. Because it will pass. I'll be a little steamy afterwards! ;)

But keep this in mind too....weathermen in Florida are no different than weathermen anywhere else. They're bound to be wrong alot of the time! :rotfl: (sorry to anyone reading if you're a weatherman!!)

If the weather for a day says 30% chance of rain, that means that there will be rain somewhere in that area.. maybe not over Disney, maybe only over MK and not other parks.. maybe over Universal, maybe between parks.. you can never tell. It is safe to say that it does rain every day in the State over the summer months. My city is having its afternoon storm now. I had to switch to battery on my laptops since electricity is flickering.

How do you manage the parks in the rain.. well if there isn't any lightning, throw on a poncho and have fun. All indoor attractions will be working and depending on how light/hard the rain is, some out door ones run as well.
If there is lightning with the rains (a real storm), take cover in a store or head out of the parks and hang out in a resort until the storm passes..

here is the weather as of now.. the link is for the Orlando area but if you move the map around, you will see various parts of the State and the rains through out the areas..

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Orlando+FL+USFL0372?lswe=orlando,%20fl&from=searchbox_localwx

:cool1: We were at "The World" from Sat June 19th - Sat June 26th. We encountered a thunderstorm on Sat night (19th) lasted hours. Had lightning and thunder in the afternoon of Sun (20th) but little rain. Dry & hot the rest of the time, no rain in sight. The forecast called for at least showers every day. You never know what your gonna get, so carry poncho's & don't worry about what you can't control.

:cool1: We were at "The World" from Sat June 19th - Sat June 26th. We encountered a thunderstorm on Sat night (19th) lasted hours. Had lightning and thunder in the afternoon of Sun (20th) but little rain. Dry & hot the rest of the time, no rain in sight. The forecast called for at least showers every day. You never know what your gonna get, so carry poncho's & don't worry about what you can't control.
I was there on the 18th and got caught in a bad storm. I sat in my car in the parking lot at the Contemporary.. I didn't even want to run for shelter since i was already nice and dry.. that one lasted an hour and a half..really bad down pours with thunder and lightning.

the one by me now is passing. It wasn't even 40 minutes long, but I do see more coming at me.. so this one is a "split one" for us in SW FL ;)

We were in WDW/US/IOA from May 28, 2010 thru June 7, 2010.

It rained nearly every day for an hour or so. One day it rained about 1/2 the day.

No biggie. Just put on your ponchos and whatever shoes you have that will do ok when they get wet and off you go.

I hate the rain but because the parks empty out and the lines are shorter, I stay out in it and keep touring.

Now if it's lightening, then we head for cover in a store or indoor attraction. Don't stay outside if it's lightening, it's way too dangerous.

Thank you for all the lightening and storm suggestions.

We will be prepared with light rain pocho's and I guess flip-flops so our sneakers do not get wet (we will bring both).

I am hoping our morning flights into and out of MCO do not hit storms.
We always fly in during the AM hours - around a 11 AM arrival time in MCO.
Our flight out of MCO is normally before 10 AM. so we are hoping to avoid turbulance on the jet.

No I am not a weatherman - just a homemaker and love the DIS and WDW.

Again thank you for all the suggestions.

Be careful in flip-flops (as well as crocs) in the rain, they get very slippery on concrete. I know numerous times we had to go barefoot just to not fall. Sneakers will get wet, but you don't slip in them.. it is a no win situation with shoes in the rain...unless you have water shoes on :lmao:

We are always sure to bring an extra pair of sneakers on vacation just in case we get caught in a downpour. There's nothing worse that having to wear wet shoes the next day!

You'll see a lot more rain at the end of July than the beginning of June.

The rain generally starts in the afternoon/evening 3-6ish. While it can rain in the morning and sometimes rains all day long, that isn't the common thing.

A lot of people say, "It only rains for 20 minutes in Orlando!" and while that can happen, Orlando also has rain for hours or all day. But usually, summer rains start in the late afternoon.

We plan to hit the parks in the mornings.

If it rains the whole week - which has happened to me - we find other stuff to do and make the best of it.

One time it rained all day long. Raining before 8 a.m. and raining after 9 p.m. Sometimes a drizzle, sometimes a downpour - but it was just rain, rain, rain the whole day. It sucked. What a waste of a day.

Some people go to the parks, anyway. Not me. I don't like getting wet. Where others see adventure, I tend to think along the lines of, "Have the sense to come in, out of the rain." That's me.

There are a gazillion things to do inside in the greater Orlando area. Most have a coupon for like $1.00 off in those books that are available in non-Disney hotels, Wal-Marts, etc. That's what I do.

I have found that when it rains, people either go back to their resort or take advantage of the indoor attractions. I personally, like to stay in the parks. If I'm in Epcot, I usually go to the world showcase for drinks and shopping. :thumbsup2

Be careful in flip-flops (as well as crocs) in the rain, they get very slippery on concrete. I know numerous times we had to go barefoot just to not fall. Sneakers will get wet, but you don't slip in them.. it is a no win situation with shoes in the rain...unless you have water shoes on :lmao:

Second this

My daughter fell flat on her face in the Moroco pavillion last year - she was not exactly walking, but the concrete was really slipery with Teva's on. We were sure she broke her nose - it bled and swelled huge. Everything turned out fine though.

We were there 6/12-6/19 and it did rain a few times but it rarely slows us down from doing what we want. It only was a problem one day and it was the day it had a small flash flood. It got over the ankles at Epcot. The news said there had been 3" at Disney World. We shopped (most did). I told DH that I thought WDW ordered the rain, because there was people spending left and right and huge lines at the registers since no one could do anything too much else if they weren't already in a bldg. I had a poncho, but DH didn't want one. He'd rather walk in the rain. The rain fell so hard that getting to a restroom was rather interesting. Also, I have Merrell shoes made for water so if it looks like it may rain, I wear them in the parks that day. DD just took off her flip flops and walked barefoot until we would go in a place that required them.

To me it seems there's always a short period of a torrential downpour which causes us to flee to the nearest gift shop! :rotfl: I don't mind the parks in the rain. I am a huge flip flop wearer so normally I don't mind my shoes getting wet - but do heed the advice of other posters as well, the concrete can get very slippery! I have fallen multiple times, but I'm also pretty clumsy. If it doesn't seem the rain will let up I simply don a poncho (oh Lord, the fashion gods would kill me for admitting that!) and head on with my day. The parks seem to empty out, and it's quite fun! I also always bring a waterproof bag, like my black nylon Longchamp bag that zippers, to the parks regardless, just so I don't worry about it getting wet on certain rides or in a flash rainstorm!

watch those flip-flops & crocs for slipping feet inside them, too (not just slipping on the pavement, but your foot slipping around in them due to wetness.) You can get bad blisters forming since your feet slip & rub on the straps where they wouldn't usually if dry.

DD & her friend were wearing flip flops in the parks May 2009 and ended up taking them off & walking barefoot because of all the slipping around. (end of May last year -- rained hard for at least an hour every day. One day at Epcot, it rained hard about 6 hours straight. The walkways were over-the-ankles-deep in some places.)

If you're in a resort with in-the-wall A/C unit, prop the wet shoes on that overnight...this worked well for us. Highly recommend taking two pairs of shoes during the rainy season. And cheapie ponchos...we get the 99 cent ones at Walmarts...after a few days in the rainy season, you'll get very efficient at taking them off, shaking them out & rolling/folding them back up into the little bags. We take more than one per person, but usually only need one...unless you're in high wind & they rip. We prefer the cheapies because they're so lightweight to carry around & fit in a pocket.

I live in Florida... if its 30% or less your probably good... Might be a stray shower around 1pm to 6pm... Any % higher than that you should plan for it no matter what park you go to... Always pack your ponchos.... Best park to go to on a rainy day is EPCOT since you can hide out in the pavillions for a while and still find cool things to do... Keep in mind that the resort pools close when there is lightening and wont open back up until 30 min have past from the last blast of thunder heard by the lifeguards!... Late July and into August you can set your watch by the rain... clear mornings... cloudy by 11am... rain by noon... clearing up by 6pm (ALWAYS!)... A tip, dont use a raincoat... you will get soaked... Bring a poncho from home to save $$$ and you will be way dryer than in a raincoat!

Oh yeah, June 19th was like a monsoon with lightning! It went on from 6pm until well into the night. All the outside rides were closed, but Space Mountain was open and we rode it 4 times. We finally gave up and left at around 10:30.

OP, buy those 2/$1 ponchos at Dollar Tree. Buy enough for each person to have one per day. It is easier to just toss them after you wear them than trying to store a wet poncho. Most days of our trip, it stormed for an hour between 2pm and 7pm. We took a break from 1pm-6pm, so most days we missed the rain.

I slipped in Crocs after it rained at Universal June 17th and hit my arm on a railing. I still have that bruise! If you wear Crocs, make sure the treads are good and don't run!

Marsha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter