• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rainy days in theme parks never get me down

I appreciate the positive article, and the that's the positive side to it...

but in all honesty, rain sucks at WDW. Wearing a sticky muggy poncho, with rain dripping on your feet and legs, going from hot and humid outside to cold an freezing inside... just isn't our idea of fun. Do we make the most of it? Sure. Do we like it? HECK no!

Dan

I'd much rather be wet at the World in summer than when it rains in the winter. We were at the world last Thanksgiving and the Wednesday before it was about 50 and a cold, miserable rain.

I live in Florida and I love to go to the parks when it's raining. In Florida there are only 2 seasons, Summer and January. I never use an umbrella. We who live in the swamp take respite in the rain and the clouds. Also it helps that we dont do the ziploc baggies for humans :crazy2: cause all they do is turn you into a sweat stew.

When it looks like rain, we either take a break or hit a theater show. By the time we're out, the rain has stopped and the crowds have disappeared.

When it looks like rain, we either take a break or hit a theater show. By the time we're out, the rain has stopped and the crowds have disappeared.

Usually, but not always. It was unusually rainy when we were there last fall and it really started to mess up our plans. After a while it really started to wear on us and we were all grumpy.

I loved rainy days , especially in the MK with the kids...the crowd was often gone back to their resorts and me and the kids often got to ride attraction after attraction with little on no wait.

AKK

The brief showers aren't a big concern for me. The only time rain was a big problem was waiting in line for the CP and a complete deluge struck. The WS walkway flooded and we were soaked! :earsboy:

Although not my first choice to have rain at Disney, we don't let it stop us either. We just put on our ponchos and carry on! It is a pain constantly putting on and taking off the ponchos, but most times the rain does not last. It's better than being at work! :)

I think there is a big difference between dealing with rain and dealing with the thunder/lightning storms that are so common in Central Florida. Central Florida gets the most lightning out of anywhere in the U.S. and is one of top six places on earth for lightning activity. Rain you can keep going, if you hear thunder, nope.

When thunder roars, go indoors!

Last edited:
Two 'Rain at Disney' stories. Once at Epcot it was pouring. Cats and Dogs. I was near Mission: Space and Test Track. The downhill sidewalks there were in flash flood mode. My new leather sandals literally came apart. I threw them away and walked barefoot into Mousegear and got some Disney flip-flops. Somehow I don't think Mousegear employees are surprised to see barefoot customers come in during the rain. (Nothing was said to me.)

On another trip, many years later at HS, it started to pour. We were entering the area of Rock 'n Roller Coaster. I had a scooter now, and parked it against a wall under some trees. Wrapped it up good with 2 ponchos. DD got me a wheelchair and we went on the ride. Our next stop was Tower of Terror, and it was still pouring. Since you also have to use a wheelchair at ToT, we took my R'n'R wheelchair over there. It's all downhill to ToT and DD was pushing me. Suddenly, the wheelchair was whizzing downhill really fast! One of DD's sandals slipped off in the rain, and she stopped to retrieve it. But she let go of the wheelchair, without thinking. It was like one of those silly old movies, with me speeding downhill, unable to stop myself in the WC. DD saw what happened and tried to run and catch me. Luckily I knew where the WC wheel brakes were and I applied them very gently, but it was touch-and-go for a few moments and could have gone bad. We laugh about it now!

Rainy days worry me a lot since I need a portable oxygen concentrator, which can not get wet, and an ECV which is a problem in the rain,
Any advice how not to worry Webmaster Leah?
I will bring ponchos, but I worry.
TIA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter