Rainy Days at Disney - do rides close?

clerkshipwanted

Mouseketeer
i am assume if there is lightening rides close - do they make you leave the park, go inside?
what happens if just pouring rain?
thanks

We were there almost 2 weeks ago and it was the first time when it rained while I was in Disney. We were in Epcot and Test Track closed once the rain started getting heavier. Other than that, I think everything else stayed open. It was horrible though, we were wet & cold but then the sun came out around noon and the rest of the day was great. It stinks when it rains but what are you gonna do? Try to enjoy it anyways.

I dont remember any rides closing when i was there. Most of the time (fall) it will rain for ten minutes and be done. I have ridden many rides including the barnstormer in the pouring rain, & they still did wishes!

Saturday evening 11/5/11 we were at MK near the buzz lightyear ride, it was very lightly raining and everything around us was running. At the same time, Big thunder mt railroad was shut down because it was pouring down on that side of the park.

Certain rides do close because of rain, but only the ones that take place outside in the elements. Thunder mountain and test track would close but space mountain and soarin would stay open.

Even if there is no rain in the area they will also close outdoor rides because of lightning within a certain distance. They don't evacuate the parks and you are free to stand at the entrance to the line until the threat has passed. I have had that happen at splash mountain a few times.

I was at AK during a thunderstorm, EE was closed, along with the trails and Kali. The safari was still open, we got in an hour long line because fastpasses were gone and that was about the only thing open, plus the line is covered.

i am assume if there is lightening rides close - do they make you leave the park, go inside?
what happens if just pouring rain?
thanks

I've been there during a tropical storm warning and they didn't make us leave. Some rides close because of rain and lightenng. Here's a list of rides that they tend to close because of weather.
Epcot. Test track
MK. Jungle cruise, Tom sawyers island, alladins flying carpets, robinsons tree house, dumbo, thunder mountain, splash mountain, tomorrow land speedway.
DHS. Studio backlot tour, Indiana jones, lights motor action, fantasmic.
AK. Safari, primal whiral, tricera top spin, expedition everest, Kali river rapids.
and all parades. By no means do I think this is a complete or 100% accurate. I'm sure others will add and subtract from this list. But it will give you a good reference list.
We have been to WDW lots of times when it rained and we just find something to do like Soarin, there's a great bar right outside of It's a bugs life. Pirates of the Caribbean, seas of life, turtle talk with crush, it's a bugs life.
Just bring some ponchos and remember to...
Have Fun!:yay:

In Florida weather passes quickly. On summer afternoons particularly it will be sunny, they a torrential downpour, and sunny again, all within a half hour.

Personally, I like the rain in the parks... gives everything a different feel. And sends the wimpies scurrying back to their resorts so the hardy can enjoy shorter lines later.

The outdoor rides of course close during heavy rain or lightning, for safety's sake. They clean up em up quick and reopen when in passes.

So when it pours, enjoy a leisurely meal and watch the soaked tourists sprint by, or take in a show in MK, one of the films if you are in Epcot, Tough to Be a Bug in AK... you can dart from shop to shop and do a little shopping, or hit indoor rides like the Haunted Mansion or Pirates, or Norway/Mexico in Epcot.

Don't fret it, there's plenty to do no matter what the weather. Just go with the flow, remember you are on vacation, and enjoy the experience. Don't get all caught up over what you're NOT doing at any given moment.

We were at Blizzard Beach this August and it started POURING! We weren't sure if we wanted to head back to our resort or wait it out so I spoke with a CM. They will close the rides if there is lightning but not for rain only. Who cares if it's raining if you are already getting wet at a waterpark! We had a great time and got on all the rides quickly :banana:

We were at MK the week between 10/27 and 11/5, can't remember which day but it was a weekday... OH I think it was SUNDAY October 30th. It rained the first 4 hours we were there and we still rode BTMRR. We got wet as hell but we kept on riding.

Outdoor acttractions will close if there is lightning in the area. I believe Test Track will close if there is a heavy down pour. Inside attractions are not affected.

At MK, Astro Orbitor, Tomorrowland Speedway, and the train closed mostly due to lightening.

We were at MK the week between 10/27 and 11/5, can't remember which day but it was a weekday... OH I think it was SUNDAY October 30th. It rained the first 4 hours we were there and we still rode BTMRR. We got wet as hell but we kept on riding.

It was October 31st (Halloween) on Monday. We were in Epcot. Food & Wine is not fun in the rain! lol..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter