Rainforest Cafe at AK, should I try it? What's good?

traces7

DIS Veteran
I have enough points at MyPoints to get a Rainforest Cafe gift card, so I was thinking of eating here on our trip in Oct. (That way another meal would be paid for - we won't have the dining plan).
Should we try it? It's just me and my 7 year old DD, we'd probably go for lunch. I think my DD would like it. What would you recommend to eat? Thanks! :)

they have had a "special" for years now that is a steak, I think strip, 4 (i think) fried shrimp and ribs for around $22. Me and my mom always share that.

Is your child comfortable with loud noises and being in a rather dark place? It gets very noisy in there with the "rain storms" (complete with thunder) and the various groups of animals going off in "natural sounding" cries, barks, and other realistic sounds.

I've seen any number of very unhappy children in there!

I found the service poor at best and the food unremarkable for the cost.

The one in DTD is a bit nicer/better than the one in AK.

We will be dining at RFK (animal Kingdom) in Sept. with 3 MyPoints giftcards!!! I save up my points and always get GCs for Orlando restaurants (Bahama Breeze and Macaroni Grill in the past, as well as RFC).
Even though it gets very mixed reviews, we like it. The kids really enjoy the theming (okay, I do too), and it is one of the only places around WDW to get decent Wings. My husband likes the Mojo Bones (ribs), I have usually gotten some type of combo, and the kids get typical kids meals. They have dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, kids pizza (pretty good size). This time we are trying the Volcano (chocolate brownie/ ice cream thing shaped like a volcano, with sparklers on top) for the first time.
I say, if you have never been you should go. Then again, even if you have been, I would still go! Guess you could say... we like it!

Thought both RFC at WDW were terrible. Bad service, terrible food. And way too loud.

Should you try it??? - Yes, I think it is worth a try.

What's Good??? - I love their China Chicken Salad (I think that is what the dish is called). It is very good.

I do agree with other posters in the fact it can be very loud and a bit overwhelming for kids sensitive to loud noises or dark places, but over the years I have taken my day care kids to our local RFC and have only had one child (out of 11, and some of them were very young when I took them) that could not handle the overstimulation.

We ate at RFC (AK) last year and loved the food. I personally hate the apes going bananas. We'll be going back there again this year with our MyPoints gift cards & saving the DDP credit for HDDR

Good food,
Colorful atmosphere
Nice and cool! (important when touring AK)

The restaurant itself was interesting enough. Our server was fine - not stellar, but didn't stink. The food left a lot to be desired, IMHO. I much prefer either Tusker House or Flame Tree to Rainforest Cafe. They're cheaper, too. :)

I had a huge turkey wrap that was good. My DDs pasta though was out of this world I thought. We shared the volcano and that was a real treat! You should definately try it once!

RFC is my kids' number-1-most-favorite restaurant, so skipping it isn't really an option for us. Portions are enormous, so splitting a meal is a good choice. I do like the the pastalaya, extra spicy. We usually go to the one at DTD because we can walk there from SSR or OKW, but have also eaten at the one at AK (and one in Illinois...and one in California...and one in...Las Vegas...) FYI, when staying at hotels outside of Orlando, we always have gotten discount coupons from our hotel. In Orlando, I'm sure you could also find coupons, but we have just used our 10% DVC discount there. Their website is www.rainforestcafe.com

Two words. Paradise Pot Roast. Ok 3 words. Sooo yummy. We get it at the one in Toronto too, soooo good. Of course because we have a Rainforest near us we dont often go to the ones at WDW because well its at home so I dont know how great/bad thier service and food is.

We ate there in 2000 - we had been really excited to try it. It was OK, but wasn't on our list to return to for our trip this past May. When we were there in 2000, the Volcano dessert was new and not on the menu - we had seen one go by across the room and thought it looked good so ordered it (our perspective was way off, we thought it was a single dessert) However, our server didn't tell us that it is actually made for 2+ people (and priced that way) and when it arrived at our table we were shocked. It was huge and there was no way DH and I could eat it all. Then we saw the $13 price tag and were not happy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter