• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rainforest Cafe and T. Rex in Disney World

RainforestGuy

Earning My Ears
This will be a three-part review on my experiences at these restaurants.
After an enjoyable day at Disney's Animal Kingdom, it was coming time for the reservations made at Rainforest Cafe, to conclude the visit. I made my way through the side exit and saw the wonderful outdoor area. It was really nice, with the sound of the waterfalls, feel of the mist, and the colorful animals and mushrooms around. I then went inside to browse the gift shop. They had a great selection in a large space. I especially liked the carved wood pieces, the tiki masks and elephants.
I was seated near the large fish tank in the wall, above me was a red dart frog, behind me was a gorilla, and I could see a snake in the tree in front of me. If it doesn't sound like I've made the impression yet, the decor was amazing. I really liked that this location had double the animatronics most locations do, with five elephants and countless gorillas, two snakes, and two jaguars. The restaurant is almost divided in half via a large waterfall and rock formation. The statue of Atlas did not have running water but instead a lazer effect, I am not sure if there ever was running water there, though. It was very fun to walk around as I was waiting for food or drinks. The wait times were pretty long, but I am not complaining, since it gave me additional time to explore. One noticeable omission here is that this location does not have a wishing pond with a crocodile. If you're looking forward to that, as it is in pretty much every other location, don't expect one.
The food was exemplary. I had an appetizer of Lava Nachos, and for my main course, a Rainforest Burger, and of course a Volcano for dessert. The Lava Nachos, I have every time I go to Rainforest Cafe, and they were very good. My Rainforest Burger (with bacon) had a side of fries. I was pretty set on trying something new, but out of tradition took the Rainforest Burger. It was one of the best burgers I know I've had. It was very well-done (I like my burgers done well) and the onion ring was a nice addition. Like most food at Rainforest Cafe it was huge, and I wasn't able to eat it all, especially since I wanted a Volcano, not that that was a problem. My volcano came out and, of course, it was great. I miss the sparklers I got on them in Towson, however the ornament they have now is also fun because I get to keep it. For my drink, my inner child came out and I had an ICEE, though the tradition of having them at Rainforest Cafe since my childhood played a big role in it as well. Also a side note: the food was not cold. It was well-cooked. I often see reviews where the food was undercooked/cold. That has never been the case over the 10+ years I have been visiting Rainforest Cafe, at five locations. I have never had cold food, though others may have had different experiences.
This was no doubt the best dining experience I have had during my stay at Disney World. The theming and food were very nice, and the servers were great, too. This is not a place for a quick meal, and I do not treat it as one. Rainforest Cafe is an attraction in itself and if visiting keep that in mind. Reviews on T. rex and Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney coming soon!

thank you for a great review...I have never been to either one at AK or DTD..maybe next trip I will give it a go...thanks again

Thank you, Pumba. As I had said, I have never had a negative experience at Rainforest Café, so I recommend it, even if you only go once.
Wednesday's meal was T. rex. Before I start, I suggest that anyone who is even remotely interested should book as soon as they can. When my trip was booked, only two spaces were open for the entire day, and I was lucky someone backed out or I would have had to wait until 10:00 to even start, so this review is more for lunchtime.
This was my first ever visit to T. rex, and, as suggested by the bookings, the place was packed, or at least, the front half was packed. Once I got past the gift shop and host/hostess' podium, it did not appear to be as full as I expected. The Fern forest was totally empty, save for a table which was occupied as I made my way out. I assume, that space is reserved for walk-ins. I was seated inside the ice cave. At first, I didn't like that idea, however it is at a central location so if you want to be able to see everything, it is a good place to sit. As always, the wait was a little long, but I enjoyed walking around and exploring while some of my party stayed at the table waiting for food/eating. The Fern forest was empty, so I got to see everything close-up. The dinosaurs themselves, are not the greatest animatronics I've seen, they don't have the realism or fluidity that the ones at Rainforest Café do, but the animatronics are made from those of the "Dinamation" exhibitions which are no longer in business. Accuracy is not their strong point, either. My primary hobby is collecting dinosaur toys/resin kits, so I can be nitpicky at times, however the dinosaurs are re-purposed and aimed at a younger audience, and it could be worse. The environments in themselves are well-made, the plant, rock, ice, water, and other effects are pulled off quite well. If you look above, there are also small pterosaurs, including relatively obscure species in media, such as dsungaripterus, and darwinopterus. I also enjoyed the inclusion of real minerals and fossils, including their large amethyst geodes and mosaic of green river fish in the men's room. There are also lots of Moroccan fossils in the restroom, however the trilobite may be fake; I did not get a good look at it, but regardless, these are nice details to be included. The gift shop wasn't bad, either, with a nice array of Safari LTD brand dinosaurs as well as Carnegies (the latter of which were recently put out of production so grab them while supplies last!). I found some nice agate bookends and orthoceras sculptures.
The food was great. It is comparable to TGI Friday's (which I also enjoy). I had the "Awesome Appetizer Adventure" (Or T. rex's equivalent of it), Neanderthal New York Strip, and of course, and Extinction for dessert. I can't remember well what came in the appetizer, except for mozzarella sticks, which were good. The steak, however, was hands down, the best steak I had anywhere. It was a great cut and cooked just right (I specified well done, as I always do). I could not ask for a better one anywhere else. It was expensive ($32.00), however if you're on the dining plan there's no real difference in price to getting anything else, and even so, for the quality, quantity, and the fact that you're in Disney, it is worth it. I strongly recommend this menu item. The extinction was very nice as well-- about on par with a Volcano but with, it seems, more brownie. Just a heads up, though, you are not allowed to keep the shaker, however someone in my party had a drink which had one and gave their shaker to me since they had no other use for it. Service was great, and the food came out as ordered. It is much louder and chaotic than Rainforest Café, but for anyone who wants a fun meal with dinosaurs, this is the place. I should also note that I am not fond of small children however I was not bothered by any at any time during my meal. I strongly recommend this restaurant as well.
Third and final review coming soon.

Thanks for the review on T-Rex, especially with the comparison to Rainforest, I was curious as to how it compares!

Time for my third review. Before I start, I just want to say that this was probably my worst dining experience in Disney and worst experience inside a Rainforest Cafe. This, however is absolutely NOT the fault of the restaurant, servers, food, or anything like that and wholly due to one member of my party not being cooperative that night and frankly, a bit of a jerk, but I will try to avoid discussion of that issue any further in the review.
It was my first day at Disney World, and the bus just pulled up to Downtown Disney. I looked up, in anticipation of seeing the volcano at Rainforest Cafe. It was covered in scaffold. o_O The pyrotechnics were not working and the crocodile was absent. Of course this was only temporary, but was a bit of a disappointing start to the vacation. Come Friday, it was the last day of my vacation and it seemed there was nothing better than to end it right with a dinner at Rainforest Cafe!
My reservation was for nine that night, and was essentially asking for a busy time, and it was busy, though there were a few tables empty. The service felt faster than on most visits, probably because it was so full. The layout of the restaurant is very interesting, and a bit difficult to move through to explore the place, but that isn't really a huge problem, allowing for there to be more to see. I was seated on the back side of the gorilla vignette, facing the big silverback, and under the monkeys, where I could see jaguars on a high ledge. The animatronics appeared to be working well and the theme was well-executed (as with every Rainforest Cafe location). Thunderstorms occurred periodically (the interval varies by location). I really wasn't paying attention to much due to the aforementioned party member, however it would have been a very fun time without him being there. The gift shop had lots of variety. I bought some carved wood tiki items, as well as an agate lamp. I also saw some large tiki masks which would have went perfectly with the decor I have at home, but couldn't buy any due to transportation space restrictions. There were lots of toys, gifts, and souvenirs, though fewer than in Animal Kingdom, but still more than in mall locations. The snake in the gift shop was missing however it seems as though that has been replaced as well.
This time I ordered the Primal Steak after an Awesome Appetizer Adventure, and a volcano to conclude it. My drink, in accordance to my tradition, was an ICEE. As with T. rex, I can't remember much on the appetizer, but I do remember the quesadillas being very good. My primal Steak was great also. It was cooked well with no cold parts at all. The volcano was great, though I was the only one eating it (everyone else had grown tired of eating in general by this point). Service was a bit faster than what I am used to at RFC, and I didn't see the place as in-depth as the other locations, however the servers were very positive and cheerful.
I also noticed that the giraffe isn't there anymore, though that was probably to make room for the Lava Lounge. I did not eat there so I can't really discuss that, however the mural and effects out there were cool. I just don't like the idea of going to Rainforest Cafe and eating outside. It sort of defeats the purpose of going there. From what I heard there used to be a macaw demonstration outside, however that does not happen anymore except by request. The PR person said it was mostly for school groups however still gave me the number and said I can have a bird show, but I do not know if it's free or what prices are. Overall it was a pretty good experience, only weighed down by the people I was with, and I recommend this restaurant to anyone who finds themselves in Downtown Disney with some time to spare for dinner. This is the one thing I won't be able to do next time around, as my schedule does not permit, but I'll see about going to the shop and more than likely visiting the restaurant "going through" to the restroom.

A closing note-- their customer service is excellent. The item at the gift shop I wanted but couldn't bring home? I called them and one was sent to me. It arrived in good shape for its original price. That is good customer service!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter