• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rainbow reef snorkling - Hire question

BagOLaughs

Well I ain't evil, I'm just good looking
Hi all you lovely Dis people.

Its only 5 weeks, 5 days, 10 hours and 4 minutes (thank you countdown app) before we leave for 5 nights in Aulani!

We're both super excited but I had a question about the snorkeling. I'm planning on paying the $40 or so, to do the full stay snorkeling as I love to swim! And swimming with fishies is doubly fun.

My question is can i use the same snorkel and mask to swim in the ocean as well? Will they allow me to use it on the beach?

Also has anyone else done the snorkeling? How did you find it? Do you have to book a slot each day or can you just turn up? How long do you get?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

No, you can not use the same gear. There is a package you can buy that allows you unlimited use of Rainbow Reef and obtain snorkel gear for use in the ocean for the length of your stay. You can get snorkel gear at the little rental shack down at the cove. You can use the snorkel gear as long as you want, you just have to return it by 5pm (which was the latest they were open when we were staying).

We were told that the snorkel gear was for "on property only", which he clarified by saying, "So, for example, you can't take it to Hanauma Bay." We interpreted this to mean that we could use it at other coves in Ko Olina. We found the Paradise Cove area to have the best snorkeling. You can find directions elsewhere on this board, but essentially you walk out to the road, turn left, and go past the Four Seasons. You'll see a parking lot. On the ocean side of the parking lot, you'll find a walkway, fenced on either side, that goes down to the cove. Sea Turtles frequent the area and occasionally, you'll find Hawaiian Monk Seals sunning themselves on the beach. There was a big variety of fish to be seen. We enjoyed the area so much we went over there to snorkel three different days.

No, you can not use the same gear. There is a package you can buy that allows you unlimited use of Rainbow Reef and obtain snorkel gear for use in the ocean for the length of your stay. You can get snorkel gear at the little rental shack down at the cove. You can use the snorkel gear as long as you want, you just have to return it by 5pm (which was the latest they were open when we were staying).

We were told that the snorkel gear was for "on property only", which he clarified by saying, "So, for example, you can't take it to Hanauma Bay." We interpreted this to mean that we could use it at other coves in Ko Olina. We found the Paradise Cove area to have the best snorkeling. You can find directions elsewhere on this board, but essentially you walk out to the road, turn left, and go past the Four Seasons. You'll see a parking lot. On the ocean side of the parking lot, you'll find a walkway, fenced on either side, that goes down to the cove. Sea Turtles frequent the area and occasionally, you'll find Hawaiian Monk Seals sunning themselves on the beach. There was a big variety of fish to be seen. We enjoyed the area so much we went over there to snorkel three different days.

Oh My gosh DisDragonfly thank you so much for the wonderful information. This is just what I wanted to know. To think I might see a green turtle is so exciting!

Glad to hear you enjoyed snorkeling as much as you did.

The snorkeling at Paradise Cove is stellar. We went every day we were at Aulani with our own snorkel gear to swim with many of the same fish that are in Aulani's "reef," plus sea turtles! For free. And something different every day.

Oh My gosh DisDragonfly thank you so much for the wonderful information. This is just what I wanted to know. To think I might see a green turtle is so exciting!

Glad to hear you enjoyed snorkeling as much as you did.

The turtles were amazing! If you are calm and not trying to grab at them (touching them is illegal and not good for them either), they are very friendly. I swam along side one of them for quite a while and when he turned toward the rocks, I figured he wanted some space, so I turned and swam away. About 30 seconds later, he came and popped up right in front of me and hovered there and looked me right in the eye for a few moments, then swam off. There were many times that I had to back up or swim away from them because they were so close to me or following me. A couple of times they snuck right up on me and ran into me. Once I was standing mid-thigh deep and one came right up behind me and ran right into my leg. There's no way he didn't know I was standing there. LOL

Snorkeling with the turtles was definitely the highlight of the trip!

Great info here. I was definitely going to head over to paradise cove to hopefully see the turtles.....didn't realize this was a good snorkeling spot.
I am considering Hanauma bay, so much to squeeze in! Only time I think I might be able to squeeze is maybe morning of embarkation POA. Early morning tour the off to ship.

Does anyone know Is Hanauma bay a MUST do? Way better than paradise cove? and rainbow reef?
Thanks
Kerri

I've heard Hanauma Bay is fantastic. I haven't been, but I do know you need to be there _early_ because once the parking lot fills up, they don't let any other cars in, until someone leaves. If you think you want to snorkel a lot, and snorkel outside of Ko Olina, you might look into buying your own gear. You won't be able to use it at Rainbow Reef, but it may save you some money.

Rainbow Reef is nice because the water is very clear, there is no current and there's a lifeguard. Very child friendly. But, it didn't compare to seeing the fish (and turtles) in their natural environment. That said, you could see the details of the fish better at Rainbow Reef. Rainbow Reef was also much colder than the cove water, even early in the day. I don't know how the water at Hanauma Bay compares.

Great info here. I was definitely going to head over to paradise cove to hopefully see the turtles.....didn't realize this was a good snorkeling spot.
I am considering Hanauma bay, so much to squeeze in! Only time I think I might be able to squeeze is maybe morning of embarkation POA. Early morning tour the off to ship.

Does anyone know Is Hanauma bay a MUST do? Way better than paradise cove? and rainbow reef?
Thanks
Kerri
My hairstylist and her hubby dive in the Caribbean a lot. They went to Oahu last June and liked it so much, they went back in December. They enjoyed snorkeling at Hanauma Bay so much, they spent most of two days there! She said they saw more fish there than on all their Oahu dives combined. YMMV, but it's how we're spending our first day in Hawaii :)

When we went in 2015 we stayed for 10 days, this time we did a week due to time constraints with school time off. I think you'll have a good time just enjoying the resort...two days exploring was enough for us with only 7 days vacation!

And the cruise sounds awesome!
Thanks I am so psyched I can already tell I will want to go back LOL:-)
I've heard Hanauma Bay is fantastic. I haven't been, but I do know you need to be there _early_ because once the parking lot fills up, they don't let any other cars in, until someone leaves. If you think you want to snorkel a lot, and snorkel outside of Ko Olina, you might look into buying your own gear. You won't be able to use it at Rainbow Reef, but it may save you some money.
Yes I did hear that. If I go it will be crack of dawn! calm water less people.
Rainbow Reef is nice because the water is very clear, there is no current and there's a lifeguard. Very child friendly. But, it didn't compare to seeing the fish (and turtles) in their natural environment. That said, you could see the details of the fish better at Rainbow Reef. Rainbow Reef was also much colder than the cove water, even early in the day. I don't know how the water at Hanauma Bay compares.
I will definitely get the week pass for rainbow reef.
My hairstylist and her hubby dive in the Caribbean a lot. They went to Oahu last June and liked it so much, they went back in December. They enjoyed snorkeling at Hanauma Bay so much, they spent most of two days there! She said they saw more fish there than on all their Oahu dives combined. YMMV, but it's how we're spending our first day in Hawaii :)
OK.....its settled. I will definitely have to head over there. I see I maybe Viator has a tour that is like 5 hours. That should get me back to hotel in time to head over to POA.
Thanks
Kerri

Thanks so much everyone for the wonderful replies! These tips are pure gold dust!

We just got back from Aulani. We went to Hanauma Bay earlier in the week and loved it. We got there around 7:15am and the first parking lot was almost full. By the time we left at 9:15am, the line to enter the park (pay the fee, visitor's center) was really, really long. Then, you have to wait in another line to watch the video before they let you go. DH saw a small octopus. They saw all different kinds of fish. We had to leave because we had other plans that day, otherwise I think we could have easily spent the whole morning there.

On our first morning at Aulani, we headed to Paradise Cove around 8am. We walked along the beach, which I would not recommend, esp. with small children. There were parts that were rocky and slippery and one part we had to wade through about waist deep water (where we were worried about getting our camera wet). The cove was awesome! We saw a few turtles that you could see from the beach and got some great pictures. DH and DS also saw an eel. They said they saw many of the same fish at Hanauma Bay. It wasn't too crowded and we found a shady spot to sit on the beach. My kids say that this was the highlight of our trip! We walked back on the sidewalk which was much easier. We originally planned to buy day passes for the Rainbow Reef, but after snorkeling at Paradise Cove, the kids said that they weren't interested anymore! So, maybe before you commit to the length-of-stay pass, check out Paradise Cove first. Also, since Rainbow Reef is so cold, my friends said that it's something you do for a bit (like 20 min) and then go back to the pool, and then go back to the reef. You don't snorkel all day. It's not that big.

My kids are 10, 14 and almost 16.

Yes, please stay off the rocks. On our first visit, we were there with a tour guide. He mentioned that a few weeks ago he was there and a wave came up and over the rocks. it washed a couple across the rocks and into the cove. There were very banged up and lucky that they weren't more seriously injured. On our first two visits to the cove, there were no signs. On our third day, there were signs up to warn people to stay off the rocks. Just go out to the street, through the parking lot and down the walkway. You don't want an injury (or worse) on your dream vacation.

We just got back from Aulani. We went to Hanauma Bay earlier in the week and loved it. We got there around 7:15am and the first parking lot was almost full. By the time we left at 9:15am, the line to enter the park (pay the fee, visitor's center) was really, really long. Then, you have to wait in another line to watch the video before they let you go. DH saw a small octopus. They saw all different kinds of fish. We had to leave because we had other plans that day, otherwise I think we could have easily spent the whole morning there.

On our first morning at Aulani, we headed to Paradise Cove around 8am. We walked along the beach, which I would not recommend, esp. with small children. There were parts that were rocky and slippery and one part we had to wade through about waist deep water (where we were worried about getting our camera wet). The cove was awesome! We saw a few turtles that you could see from the beach and got some great pictures. DH and DS also saw an eel. They said they saw many of the same fish at Hanauma Bay. It wasn't too crowded and we found a shady spot to sit on the beach. My kids say that this was the highlight of our trip! We walked back on the sidewalk which was much easier. We originally planned to buy day passes for the Rainbow Reef, but after snorkeling at Paradise Cove, the kids said that they weren't interested anymore! So, maybe before you commit to the length-of-stay pass, check out Paradise Cove first. Also, since Rainbow Reef is so cold, my friends said that it's something you do for a bit (like 20 min) and then go back to the pool, and then go back to the reef. You don't snorkel all day. It's not that big.

My kids are 10, 14 and almost 16.
Thank you! This is just the kind of info I was looking for!

Is snorkeling at Paradise Cove safe for a 5 years old? Or should I start DS with Rainbow Reef first? TIA

You should always snorkel with a buddy. So, I think as long as you are with your 5 year old and you don't go too far out, your 5 year old will be fine. Don't go too far out initially and see how your son does. DD10 never wanted to go far out, she was content to stay relatively close to shore. For me, it was hard to maneuver when I couldn't stand up (depth or because of coral). So, when the turtle was getting close, it was hard for me to get out of the way. I think there were several turtles (one at a time, though), and they would come up to about knee deep water so you could easily see them without even getting in. We had "ninja" masks which are one piece face masks and DD10 was able to use them and they were great!

You should always snorkel with a buddy. So, I think as long as you are with your 5 year old and you don't go too far out, your 5 year old will be fine. Don't go too far out initially and see how your son does. DD10 never wanted to go far out, she was content to stay relatively close to shore. For me, it was hard to maneuver when I couldn't stand up (depth or because of coral). So, when the turtle was getting close, it was hard for me to get out of the way. I think there were several turtles (one at a time, though), and they would come up to about knee deep water so you could easily see them without even getting in. We had "ninja" masks which are one piece face masks and DD10 was able to use them and they were great!

Thank you for the advise

my 6 and 8 year olds refused to try snorkeling so we put them in Aunty's every time we went to Paradise Cove. Saw multiple turtles in the lagoon there each time we went.

Is snorkeling at Paradise Cove safe for a 5 years old? Or should I start DS with Rainbow Reef first? TIA

I would start with Rainbow Reef. DD (10) had never been snorkeling before our Aulani stay last summer. We started her at Rainbow Reef and quickly learned that there was no way we were taking her out snorkeling in the ocean. (She is not the most coordinated child). I would start him at Rainbow Reef and see how he does. If you are comfortable with how he is doing there, then take him out to the real areas.

Also, keep an eye on the condition of the water-- the ocean was a little rough when we were in Hawaii last July because there were tropical storms in the area. We were advised that people have even died snorkeling in shallow water where they can stand because with flippers on it can be hard to get your feet down, and they can get disoriented if they have carbon dioxide issues in the tube or have swallowed a bunch of water. We were careful about where we were swimming both on Oahu and Maui. Especially on Maui, it seems like we were repeatedly being warned that people had drowned or been swept out to sea in certain areas in the past, and unfortunately, while we were at Aulani, there was an Oahu drowning incident where a 6 year old child and her father were swept out to sea by a wave. Snorkeling was not as easy as we thought it would be for DD--- even in Rainbow Reef, she was sinking quite a bit with the inflatable vest, and was getting a lot of water down the snorkel tube--- I thought we would be doing a lot of snorkeling in Hawaii, but after seeing her in Rainbow Reef, we just let her do in Rainbow Reef and some in the shallow part of the Aulani lagoon (where I don't think she even saw anything) during the Aulani portion of our trip and did not snorkel on the Maui portion of the trip.

Last edited:
I would start with Rainbow Reef. DD (10) had never been snorkeling before our Aulani stay last summer. We started her at Rainbow Reef and quickly learned that there was no way we were taking her out snorkeling in the ocean. (She is not the most coordinated child). I would start him at Rainbow Reef and see how he does. If you are comfortable with how he is doing there, then take him out to the real areas.

Also, keep an eye on the condition of the water-- the ocean was a little rough when we were in Hawaii last July because there were tropical storms in the area. We were advised that people have even died snorkeling in shallow water where they can stand because with flippers on it can be hard to get your feet down, and they can get disoriented if they have carbon dioxide issues in the tube or have swallowed a bunch of water. We were careful about where we were swimming both on Oahu and Maui. Especially on Maui, it seems like we were repeatedly being warned that people had drowned or been swept out to sea in certain areas in the past, and unfortunately, while we were at Aulani, there was an Oahu drowning incident where a 6 year old child and her father were swept out to sea by a wave. Snorkeling was not as easy as we thought it would be for DD--- even in Rainbow Reef, she was sinking quite a bit with the inflatable vest, and was getting a lot of water down the snorkel tube--- I thought we would be doing a lot of snorkeling in Hawaii, but after seeing her in Rainbow Reef, we just let her do in Rainbow Reef and some in the shallow part of the Aulani lagoon (where I don't think she even saw anything) during the Aulani portion of our trip and did not snorkel on the Maui portion of the trip.

Although DS has been in a swimming class regularly since he's a 1 yr old, I think starting him at Rainbow Reef would be wise. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter