Rain jackets

VACamm

DIS Veteran
I would love suggestions and or links to the light weight zip up RAIN JACKETS that you prefer to use in WDW over ponchos. We normally use ponchos but they always rip and we throw them away. Last year I saw a family wearing cute zip up rain jackets with hoods and I made a mental note to purchase those for our trip this September. (Note that I didn't ask them where they got them or what brand they were....ugh)

Any advice is appreciated! :)

We use the frogg toggs ponchos with great success - no ripping and you don't feel as if you're in a sauna thanks to breathable material. They also make rain jackets. You can get them at sporting goods stores and Walmart.

I saw some of what you're describing in the camping section of Target where I bought my ponchos.

Patagonia also makes nice, light rain jackets that fold up small so you can stuff it in a bag. I have one for hiking that I always take to Disney.

When we've gone to WDW the rain usually lasts only 30-60 minutes and is unpredictable. After the rain ends we never liked having to carry around a wet poncho folded up for the rest of the evening. Last trip we bought disposable ponchos from the dollar store. Often they're as cheap as 2 for $1. After it rains we discard it. We carry a few with us each day.

I would love suggestions and or links to the light weight zip up RAIN JACKETS that you prefer to use in WDW over ponchos. We normally use ponchos but they always rip and we throw them away. Last year I saw a family wearing cute zip up rain jackets with hoods and I made a mental note to purchase those for our trip this September. (Note that I didn't ask them where they got them or what brand they were....ugh)

Any advice is appreciated! :)

If they were Disney rain ponchos you could have gotten them replaced for free.

We had a full week of rain during our Disney trip several years ago (seriously - hours and hours of rain every single day). I tried wearing a rain jacket the first day and couldn't stand the water running down my legs constantly. Plus the bottom of my shorts were soaked because my coat wasn't as long as my shorts. Not to mention, if we were getting on an outdoor ride (like Dumbo), my raincoat wasn't long enough to sit on so my "seat" was soaked as well. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

If I could find a really lightweight rain jacket that goes at least midway between my knees and hips I'd be happy. For now, if we're expecting a full day of rain I use the Disney poncho. If it's just going to be a passing shower, I just use a disposable poncho since that fits in my pocket (we don't carry any bags into the parks with us unless there's going to be an all-day rain event and we need somewhere to store the good ponchos). I'll be interested to see if someone has a suggestion for a longer length lightweight rain coat.

These are what we use. We also use them for camping (it always seems to rain when we camp) they work really well, and are very light weight. They also make a mens version. jacket.PNG

Ours are Columbia also. We bought the packable ones. They fold up into the pocket then they have a little loop. You can attach them to a belt-loop (with a carabiner) or stick them in a string bag.

I also use a very light weight Columbia rain jacket. I've been meaning to upgrade and get one with some netting material inside the arms. The one I use now does not have any and the arms always stick my skin. It's not really comfortable in the muggy heat of Orlando.

The new yorker in my buys the throw away umbrella from disney.. yes disney sells umbrellas as well as ponchos.. I'm a new yorker, I can handle a poorly made umbrella, this is not for everyone and please don't run into me with it if you choose to do the same, I'll avoid you no problem :)

My kids have Columbia lightweight rain jackets and I have one from LL bean. They are perfect for us!

FWIW, most sporting goods stores that stock tailgating gear (Dick's, Etc) have ponchos that are that one step up up from the cheapies you get in the parks. They are only like $3-5 and are generally good for 3-4 wearings before you chuck them ... and for the cost you don't mind chucking them out

I've had good luck with the Marmot Precip and Patagonia Torrentshell. The Marmot lists for $99, and can often be found for $60-70 on sale. The Patagonia lists for $129, but can be found for $70-80 at their seasonal clearance. Both are 2.5 layer shells, so will be waterproof for 3-4 years under normal use (possibly longer if you retreat the DWR), and are much cheaper than a 3 layer waterproof shell. You may be able to find other brands, usually in that $80-120 range, all of which should last you several years. I can wear mine in 4 seasons, proper layering let me wear it in the 20 degrees and snowing just as well as it works for summer trips in WDW.

Uniqlo has good options for less than $50, fun colors and they pack up to a tiny pouch. Search for Uniqlo light pocketable hooded jacket, or Uniqlo light pocketable hooded parka.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter