Rain at Disney

frozengirl

Earning My Ears
Hi All-
We will be in Disney next week and it looks like there is a chance of rain. I am assuming that we wouldn't want to leave the park for a passing shower so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Poncho? Change of shoes? Should we try to jump into a show? I will have 2 kids and a baby. Thanks!

If u have a stroller make sure you have a good rain cover

Definitely ponchos. If it looks like heavy rain if you could wear sandles or shoes that dry quickly that is good. Nothing stinks more than walking around in wet shoes all day

Play it by ear. Try shows or longer rides during rain. Maybe go eat some where. Of it looks like rain all day mk and HS are probably your best parks. Lots of inside rides and short distances between them

Then again so e of my kids best times were running through he rain jumping in puddles!!

Good luck

We toured WDW during Tropical Storm Debbie - 72 hours straight with torrential rain. This is what we learned - We prefer ponchos over umbrellas. Make sure you have a rain cover for your stroller. Pack some extra clothes in a ziploc bag. Wear sneakers, not sandals (especially no flip flops). EPCOT is the BEST rain park - there is so much to do inside, especially in Future World.

This doesn't work well for storms with high winds, but I waited to buy my umbrella when we got to WDW because I have an unlucky habit of them getting broken.

I bought mine the first day down there, and was able to trade it back in for a new one the two times it DID break. They stood behind their product and I can't imagine how much money I could have been out if I ended up bringing my own down.

Also buying the nicer ponchos are 100% worth getting over the dollar store ones. Those are like big billowy sheets of plastic wrap.

I prefer throw away ponchos... I bought 3 Coleman emergency ponchos last week at Target for $1.32 each for a Girl Scout camping trip over the weekend... everyone stayed dry, and I didn't feel guilty about throwing them out after the rain stopped. We could have reused them if we needed too..
...we bought Disney ponchos maybe 4-5 years ago, they were bulky and did not breathe at all..

It rained pretty much our entire week last May. I'm not talking a shower here and there. I'm talking downpours almost every day. In fact, one night, the weather was so bad, we had our choice of spots to watch Illuminations when the show started. The WS was basically empty. Definitely have a rain cover for the stroller and a good poncho. We had ponchos we had bought at WDW previously although we did have to buy our DD a child's poncho. Halfway through the trip, we ended up buying real rain jackets, which worked better than the poncho. Maybe take those if you have them. We wore sandals everyday. While they can be slippery, that was better to us than wet feet with socks and tennis shoes.

We have also been to WDW during tropical storms previously and had a blast riding attractions with no line before kids. The rain is a bit different when you have young kids. Honestly, it was kind of a pain and did cause us to leave the parks a few times earlier than we normally would have. We also didn't get in the pool much. Those are the breaks.

I only see sunny days in the forecast for next week. It looks like it is raining a lot between now and Sunday. :confused3

It's Florida, so there's going to be rain in the forecast. And, it probably will rain. Fortunately, the rain in Florida (more times than not) does not hang around too long.

During our past few trips we have only had one or two days where it rained most of the day, but we go during December and that's the "dry" month.

I'd recommend panchos - they have worked for my family. I don't wear the panchos - with the humidity I often feel too hot. I actually invested in a nice North Face rain jacket that I bring down every year (and am wearing today in NY!)

My biggest recommendation - find some shoes that are good for the rain and will keep your feet dry. Whether you go with some boat shoes (and go sans sock) or actually wear the vintage LL Bean boots is your choice. But, if it's going to rain, I'd recommend investing in a pair! Nothing, and I mean NOTHING is worse than walking around with wet socks. It poured one day on our last trip. I don't mind wet clothes (well, I do, but not as much!) but socks take a very long time to dry.

Outside of this, use the rain to your advantage. Stay up to date with the weather forecast. If it's only going to rain for an hour - use this to your advantage. During rain showers, many people will leave the park. It's in your best interest to hop in a store or see a show. If it's the afternoon, use the time to grab lunch.

You don't have to see a specific show - if you're at MK, try the Carousel of Progress or an indoor ride like POTC.

If it's raining in the morning, know when it's bound to stop (check the weather and the radar) and leave your hotel around an hour before it's scheduled to stop. By doing so, you can beat the crowds to the park. Many people will wait until it STOPS, then head over. But, if it's not coming down too hard, start to head over and hang out under the bus stop (or another concealed area.) Once it stops, head to your number one ride. It will be a lower wait time - but not for long!

If you wear glasses and are planning to use a poncho be sure to wear a visor or cap with a brim - put it on under the poncho hood to help keep your glasses dry!

Both of our trips have been in august and wow does it rain! Our first trip we bought the ponchos on site, they worked but we found them hot. When the rain stops you have to try and squish these big wet tarps into your backpack for the rest of the day ;) hang them to dry back at the hotel and fold them as small as you can to take back to the park for the next day!
Our second trip we used umbrellas. We only needed two for 4 people and after the rain they easily slide back into the pouch and into the back pack. For me these were much more user friendly. Maybe because i am always the one left carrying everything! :rotfl:

One thing to think about, is that when it starts to rain it is sometimes best to predict what people will typically do when rain starts (you mentioned catching an indoor show, for instance) and then doing the opposite. Things like shows and indoor activities can get uber-crowded when rain comes. Now if its a serious downpour, you might have to suck it up and join all the others headed for cover, but if you have something less than that, and you have proper rain gear as has been described already, you might find that things like rides empty out. Rain can be good OPPORTUNITY, if properly approached. :)

We have had our share of rain over the years, when our kids became teens we switched to umbrella. We each have a small mini totes umbrella. DH carried a large zip bag and when we entered an attraction we would all close the umbrellas and slide them into the zip bag. We always felt damp with those plastic ponchos. And the umbrellas keep the rain off your head! I usually carry those disposable ponchos as a downpour back up however.

Where you looking at weather reports? May 4-9 on 10 day forecast on Weather.com shows sun all week and barely chance of rain. I know this can change at any moment but next week to me is looking fabulous.

It's really an individual preference. Most of all as PPs have said - use it to your advantage. So many people leave when it starts to rain. I personally prefer a rain jacket and umbrella over a poncho, and hiking sandals over tennis shoes. It's true, there are some super slippery places in the rain - I love Crocs, but they are slippery when it rains. I can't stand wet socks and tennis shoes. I wear TEVA sandals that have a good grippy bottom. Best of luck!

Where you looking at weather reports? May 4-9 on 10 day forecast on Weather.com shows sun all week and barely chance of rain. I know this can change at any moment but next week to me is looking fabulous.

Correct. Weather.com now showing nice sunny days next week!!

I will be there May 5-10, today the forecast looks awesome but it has changed everyday. I suspect it will continue to do so given the time of year. I plan to pack throw away ponchos and mini umbrellas. Just so happy I don't have to pack fleece, hats and gloves like we do in February (and have used them many times!) :cool1:

We are also pretty excited about going to TL something we couldn't do our last trip due to cool weather. I have mirror days planned for Wed and Thurs next week, either Epcot or TL depending on weather. Hopefully we can do TL on Thursday because we want to do MK 6-11pm that day and if we go to TL I can cancell my back up FP+ at Epcot and make 3 late ones for MK!

Thank you all! Just bought a stroller cover and will buy ponchos there. Forecast now looks beautiful so hopefully I over prepared and won't need any of it. Thanks for all the tips!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter