Rain at Aulani?

jpeka65844

DIS Veteran
We arrive in 7 days! Right now there's rain in the forecast for the PM for a few days. Is this kind of like Orlando rain? Quick-ish showers and then done? Is the rain heavier on the east side of the island than by Aulani? I've heard the west side of the island described as "the dry side".

Pretty much. It rains almost every day on Oahu, more in some places than in others but seldom more than a passing shower. Aulani is on the dry side so you may not see much, if any, rain compared to Honolulu.

In my experience (Honolulu and Pearl Harbor/Hickam) rain showers only last about an hour, with occasional exceptions. The locals don't seem to mind and continue doing whatever it is they are doing. I've even snorkeled (Oahu) and sailed (Kauai) in the rain. At Aulani I usually just go back to the room and wait it out, or once just continued on the lazy river (the rain stopped before I did a complete loop).

with the exception of the odd actual storm that rolls through, this time of year it is normally just very refreshing passing showers (complete with rainbows)

We were there May 15-22. We had rain two days, and what seemed to be abnormally cooler weather most of our other days. Some of the CM's said it had been much wetter and cooler than usual this time of year. There was quite a breeze the first 5 days we were there, with some heavier cloud cover, so we were actually quite cool in some of the pools, or when floating the river earlier in the morning or later at night, as it was somewhat shaded. The days of rain we had, one time it was a 15-20min rain shower, hard at times but moved quick. The other day it pretty much rained on and off from about noon-5pm. At times a light sprinkle, at other times a pretty significant amount. I am from the Pacific NW so no stranger to rain, but it still kind of sucked to get everything soaked because it was rainy and breezy, so even under the umbrellas we would get wet.

As others have said, Aulani like most Hawaiian resort hotels, is on the leeward side of the island which is the drier side. And as said, shower are typically short-lived unless there's a big storm system. Weather.com and similar sites are incredibly unreliable when it comes to predictions of Hawaii weather since Hawaii has almost every microclimate known on this planet and the weather can vary widely from sea level to higher elevations, etc. Here is a site that many like for Hawaii weather predictions:

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/oahu.php

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter