Rain and Port Adventures

Disney Family Mum

Earning My Ears
So what happens if the ship pulls into port somewhere and it's just pouring rain? I'm not talking about potential showers in the forecast... what if it's completely gray and the forecast calls for rain all day? Are you able to cancel your port adventure the day of? When is the latest you can cancel your port adventure and obtain a refund? Do you get a full refund?

I know... so many questions! :confused3

So what happens if the ship pulls into port somewhere and it's just pouring rain? I'm not talking about potential showers in the forecast... what if it's completely gray and the forecast calls for rain all day? Are you able to cancel your port adventure the day of? When is the latest you can cancel your port adventure and obtain a refund? Do you get a full refund?

I know... so many questions! :confused3

Sometimes DCL will issue ponchos as you depart. They don't cancel. We went on Duck Boat Tour and unbelievable rain last year. It wasn't fun and we got absolutely drenched :(

It depends on the excursion. But most of the time excursions will go rain or shine.

Technically, you can only cancel your DCL booked excursions 3 days before your departure date. If you cancel later than that, you are still responsible for the payment.

When we cruise in the caribbean we have never had issues with rain - we are snorkeling and already (planning on getting) wet.

Last week when the rain was approaching Grand Cayman and we were on the boat to the snorkeling location - people were absolutely freaking out :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 ... I didn't get it since we all were planning on getting in the OCEAN!!

But NO - Most DCL excursions go rain or shine. Lightning is another matter. We have had snorkeling excursions cancelled because of weather - with rough seas sometimes comes poor snorkeling visibility.

You cannot cancel excursions if within 3 days of departure. However, once you board, DCL will refund you IF AND ONLY IF someone else signs up for that excursion.

Of course, if forecast calls for rain, your chances of someone booking at the last minute would be nil to none.

If the ship cannot dock, then all excursions are cancelled and refunds given. High wind or rough seas or lightning will also cancel excursions.

My DH and I booked parasailing on Castaway Cay a few years ago and the weather that day was less than ideal. By the time we were waiting to depart the dock to start the parasailing the winds had picked up considerably and it was pouring rain. I thought for sure they would cancel the parasailing but NO!!!! they did not. My DH and I did not want to get charged $158.00 for an excursion we didn't even go on so we gritted our teeth and went anyway thinking it might not be so bad, but we were wrong. I can tell you from personal experience that rain feels like millions of tiny needles penatrating every inch of your exposed skin when you are parasailing in the rain. It was so overcast that we could not even see anything once we were airborne. A completely miserable time. I really think Disney should have canceled the excursion due to the weather or at least allowed those people who wanted to cancel to get a refund. Of course, we booked parasailing with my kids the next year because they begged to do it and we were hoping for better weather. The day at Castaway Cay was beautiful - sunny, light winds and no rain in sight. What happens, you might ask? They cancel the parasailing, of course. Go figure. Anyway, always count on Disney not canceling an excursion due to bad weather since that seems to be the norm from my experience and others too.

Last may it poured. Dcl did give us ponchos getting off the ships but some excurrsions were canceled at cc. We were not charged for them. And cc closed early. Dcl added ship activities to the navigator.

On our last trip on The Fantasy, we were so disappointed. Just as we were about to depart on our Fury catamaran, we heard the announcement it was cancelled. It was pouring and rough where we were going, but only had a light 5 minute shower on the boat. We quickly tried to book something else, but no luck. Ended up shopping- not my fav, but no other choice.

Then, our sting ray tour was also cancelled due to rough seas. I was so mad when we got off the boat, and the private trip vendors were all over with signs about going. At this point, we weren't prepared to go, and would have had to tender back to the ship and change and repack a bag. I saw someone who did go, & asked her about it. She said it was so rough, she was always getting pushed off the sandbar, and the water was very rough. I was glad we didn't go.

We were so disappointed to have them cancelled but I was happy we were refunded all our money, and didn't pay for a trip we wouldn't have enjoyed. I'm glad DCL was looking out for our safety!

We did get to parasail! We had the first trip out booked- good thing because some later in the day were cancelled!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter