Ragland Road Never Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to me, from what I've read, you should go to RR during the time of day when they know how to act like humans and not wait for times when the crowd is a little too tense for them.

We've been three times, all at night. :confused3

You seem really bitter and angry about whatever happened that night. I'm wondering what happened between your party and security . . .

Anyway, I realize that you're only stating your opinion. I just wonder how much of your opinion is colored by who much you'd had to drink and that run in with security, about which we have been given no details.

I'm not saying you didn't have a bad server or bad food - just that the way you've presented this story doesn't lend much weight to your opinions.

Double post. Sorry. You can just delete this one.

We've been three times, all at night. :confused3

You seem really bitter and angry about whatever happened that night. I'm wondering what happened between your party and security . . .

Anyway, I realize that you're only stating your opinion. I just wonder how much of your opinion is colored by who much you'd had to drink and that run in with security, about which we have been given no details.

I'm not saying you didn't have a bad server or bad food - just that the way you've presented this story doesn't lend much weight to your opinions.
Nah, not bitter and angry, I ate at 8 other restaurants during the week, Party of the Senses last Sat nite and managed to taste the foods from each and every booth during this years food and wine festival. And also drank enough wine to last a year, so I'm a pretty satisfied camper. Like I said our group are all adult professionals, not college buddies, that's how we acted 15 years ago when we used to frequent Pleasure Island and the surrounding restaurants. We were wild and so was everyone else, it's called having fun.

As far as us provoking security we were flagged because one of our group walked through the little wait staff are leading to the bathroom, it literally freaked them out. He didn't tell us not to use it, he told us our friend would simply be kicked out if he did it again. If you know this restaurant well, you know what I'm talking about. The path is not "backstage", it's right in the open and security was just waiting for him to do it again like he was breaking the law, that's what provoked them. It just so happened that our waitress was rather rude as well, a coincidence.

That's it plain and simple.

Honestly, I've always felt that Raglan needed a more fun, loud and well-lubricated crowd than it has in the few times we've been there. I don't know...the atmosphere has always seemed a bit too sterile to me. I've always considered the crowd at Rose & Crown to be the gold standard of Disney watering holes. Sometime around 6-7 pm, when the sun begins to set and the hordes of "Drinks Around the World" participants who navigate World Showcase clockwise get there, R&C's a blast!! You just have to endure the disapproving looks from families eating at the restaurant's tables near the bar with small kids. On occasion, we've received our fair share of icy stares...what are you gonna do? The place does happen to be a bar...

Exactly. RR is in the wrong place at the wrong time. If they were there when PI first opened, then perhaps they would know how to deal with fun loving crowds. Creating a fun Irish Pub environment comes from the employees transferring their energy to the guests, which typical on the entire property. It just seems like it's not wanted or welcome there. If they only put as much energy into their food, entertainment and wait staff as they did on the facades of their building and in their gift shops, they might have a decent Pub. But instead it's all just a lure. They should switch locations with House of Blues and let the big boys play in the party scene and they can deal with the La Nouba and family crowd.

And as far as comparing Rose and Crown to RR your right, not even close, they are not in the same leaugue when it comes to service and fun in a real Irish Pub environment. RR is all for show and no go.

That is the second "Never again" review for RR I have read in a week-and whether Disney-owned or not, there is no excuse for bad attitude or service. The previous review I read said they had tried to palm somone elses returned meal on the reviewer! Definitely one to avoid.

Are you sure you're not mistaking this for the fried shrimp meal that was returned at Cooke's of Dublin and was then handed over to the lady waiting on her own shrimp meal??

As for RR, we love it. We had great service there and the food was very good. We go back in a couple weeks and I can't wait. :)

We had dinner there in June. It was one of the best meals of the trip. Our waiter Colin was terrific. We never even had to ask for drink refills. He always appeared with a fresh drink as soon as one was finished. Everything we ate was yummy and the kids loved the balloon man. Maybe the waitress made the remark about not being a CM, because of an attitude by the dining party. Our poorest Disney dining experience was at a Disney owned restaurant (Ohana). In fact, she was probably one of the worst waitresses we've ever had anywhere, so it's not a Disney vs. non-Disney thing. Wait staff should try to remain professional and courteous, even when faced with drunk and loud patrons, but I'm sure it gets to them sometimes. The situation probably could have been handled better, but the OP's bad experience would not stop us from going there again.

Well said!:thumbsup2

Nah, not bitter and angry, I ate at 8 other restaurants during the week, Party of the Senses last Sat nite and managed to taste the foods from each and every booth during this years food and wine festival. And also drank enough wine to last a year, so I'm a pretty satisfied camper. Like I said our group are all adult professionals, not college buddies, that's how we acted 15 years ago when we used to frequent Pleasure Island and the surrounding restaurants. We were wild and so was everyone else, it's called having fun.

As far as us provoking security we were flagged because one of our group walked through the little wait staff are leading to the bathroom, it literally freaked them out. He didn't tell us not to use it, he told us our friend would simply be kicked out if he did it again. If you know this restaurant well, you know what I'm talking about. The path is not "backstage", it's right in the open and security was just waiting for him to do it again like he was breaking the law, that's what provoked them. It just so happened that our waitress was rather rude as well, a coincidence.

That's it plain and simple.

Kinda OT but at my restaurant, we had a line behind a divider that we get drinks, put plates etc. Well people try to walk through to the bathroom instead of going around. It is a pet peeve of mine, I get so irritated when they just walk through while us servers are trying not to back into them while we are getting drinks. Anyway I am sorry you had a bad time, we did not try it this year, thought about it but then decided not to. I hope you had a great trip though..

I have had wonderful service and food at RAGLAN ROAD - and I tend to discard any review that cannot even get the name of the restaurant correct. Also, throughout Disney, I have eaten at many places that people have complained about the service and I received wonderful service - how can that be? Could it be that it is the attitude that you start with and how you treat the service people. Just a thought.

I would tend to question anyone's opinion whobrags about getting drunk and loud.

PS I get drunk also........Just happy not loud

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I don't think you can berate someone into changing their mind.

That said, if word gets out that the food/service/entertainment is no good, it'll be easier for me to get a reservation.
I had the filet there the other night and was blown away by how good it was.

As for saying that entertainment 'sucked'... That's just a matter of taste. I can say with no hesitation that I know Irish music - inside and out. The band there is good. The set list they played on Wednesday night was OUTSTANDING. It was as if they custom tailored the set list specifically for me.
So for me - the entertainment was great. The food was great. The service was great. The atmosphere - while not the Irish pub feel I'm accustomed to - is fun.

Sorry the OP had such a bad experience there. Thank God for Patrick Kavanaugh and Raglan Road - the poem, the street, the song and the restaurant.

It's an Irish pub. That's what people do at Irish pubs.

I've been to dozens of Irish pubs, in the US and in Ireland. I never saw loud, drunk people at any of them.:sad2:

Edited to add, In Ireland, pubs are family places, not places to get drunk and loud.

It only gets loud when everyone sings along with the music.

RR is not located on PI with restricted access to adults only so what is your excuse? Obviously, your excessive drinking must have killed some brain cells because you really need to learn how to spell.:mad:[/QUOTE]

For some reason, you seem to have taken a couple of the posts on this thread far too personally and to be honest, I really don't get the whole personal attack angle of your post, whether it be on me, on mustang, or on NYC as a whole. Truthfully, I really couldn't care less.

And if I can offer you a little friendly advice: you might want to steer clear of any "Monorail drink-a-thon" or "Beers around the World" threads, which happen to be filled with thousands of DISers, that come from all over the world, including California, who have no problem wanting to meet up with friends, relatives, or complete strangers and enjoy tossing back a few and have a good time. Noone's condoning getting fall down, fist-fight drunk here...

I'm not weighing in on the "how much is too much to drink in WDW" debate, however while Disney may be a family environment, there are places that clearly are for adults as well. Disney serves alcohol, Disney markets alcohol, Disney even celebrates alcohol (food and WINE festival). Suggesting that Disney does not expect and in a way encourage adults to get a bit tipsy is unrealistic.

As for the spelling comment; I have an IQ of 154 and can't spell a lick. I have a learning dysability. In my opinion making fun of someone who doesn't spell well is an ignorant thing to do.

OK, I don't get it, Disney is a family environment with a alcohol available within a stone toss from each location. Your attitude is why PI has lost all their business to CityWalk. That's where people go to have a good time now.

And who ever said we were being drunk and loud? We were having a good time, period. There is a difference. Just because RR doesn't have restricted access doesn't mean a darn thing. If you bring your kids to an Irish Pub after 9-10 pm on a Sat nite, that's your problem, not ours. There are no hidden mickeys or in sight mickeys at RR, it's ambiance is to attract beer drinkers. And that particular nite there was not a single kid in the place.

Wow, I didn't agree with mustangs review of Raglan Road but I think this was uncalled for. Disney in general is a family environment, but it does sell an awful lot of alcohol and have a fair few pubs/clubs on it's premises. Although raglan road didn't appear to be a typical pub to me or a place I would go to get drunk, it also didn't appear to be the typical family restaurant. It is located in Pleasure Island which to my mind is a spot for adults, and have to agree with Mustang I'm not sure I would take young children anywhere in PI late at night (but that's just my opinion).
I'm pretty sure there's a middle ground between the 'disney is for families' and 'disneys for getting drunk and loud'. Adults should be able to go to a pub, get a little tipsy and not be looked down upon for doing so, now if they go into Chef Mickeys roaring drunk then that's a whole different ball game!

Seems we cannot discuss Raglan Road without getting so passionate that we resort to personal attacks. I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one and with that, I am locking this thread..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter