Rafts to Tom Sawyer island-can they capsize???

kirsangel

Mouseketeer
I am curious about this and I KNOW someone on the disboards knows the answer. Are the rafts to Tom Sawyer Island on a rail or are they free moving?? I am asking because last time we were there, the boat was overloaded down and water started coming over the edge and getting our feet wet! The driver didn't seem very concerned that the boat platform was dipping into the water. Can these capsize? I know the paddlewheeler is on a rail, which means the rail lines would have to intersect at some point under water. Have there been any raft accidents?? Thanks! This board rocks!:worship:

I am curious about this and I KNOW someone on the disboards knows the answer. Are the rafts to Tom Sawyer Island on a rail or are they free moving?? I am asking because last time we were there, the boat was overloaded down and water started coming over the edge and getting our feet wet! The driver didn't seem very concerned that the boat platform was dipping into the water. Can these capsize? I know the paddlewheeler is on a rail, which means the rail lines would have to intersect at some point under water. Have there been any raft accidents?? Thanks! This board rocks!:worship:

Free moving.

No capsized rafts.

This is my earliest recollection of those rafts (and I am talking back in the late 70's) that I will never forget. My family took the raft over to Tom Sawyer and there was too many people on the raft! We started off and I remember my feet starting to get wet and I swore we were going to sink! We got over to the other side but my sneakers were soaking wet!!! It took a few years before we went back on :confused3

In theory if everyone was on one side of the raft only, squeezed together, there is a possibility that it could capsize. But this would also take a very large number of people.

And my guess would be if this ever happened it would be considered by Disney (and The Courts) that it was done with intent by the participants and they only thing they would get out of it would be banning from Disney.

I always wondered this too. I worry about falling off the edge, esp. now with 2 little ones. DH is determined to get back over there this trip but I am really nervous about it.

Did a Keel Boat capsize once which led to the ride closing?
Or is that myth?

YOu know I never think about this until I'm on the ride. It does feel like it can happen sometimes but when you really take a look at the ride, its impossible. Your safe.

Not sure about the capsizing myself, but for some reason, I don't think the water is that deep is it? I mean could a raft even capsize at all or just sink a couple feet down -- not that it wouldn't be horrible to happen with children on board!

Intersting, yet disturbing thread. But if it frightens you -- I don't think I would do Tom Sawyer Island. Much like I don't do Astro Orbiter although no one has (yet) fallen out of those flying death rockets! :eek:

Happened to us once on the ferry into MK, the water went up over out feet.

Definitely free moving - one time we rode over to the island and it took the CM several tries to anchor it. We were on the boat in the sweltering heat for a long time of the CM backing it up, trying to dock, backing it up, trying to dock...until finally a dad on the island tossed the rope to a dad on the boat and pulled us in. It must've been the CM's first day...but thank goodness for those dads or we would've been out there a while.

Not sure about the capsizing myself, but for some reason, I don't think the water is that deep is it? I mean could a raft even capsize at all or just sink a couple feet down -- not that it wouldn't be horrible to happen with children on board!

Intersting, yet disturbing thread. But if it frightens you -- I don't think I would do Tom Sawyer Island. Much like I don't do Astro Orbiter although no one has (yet) fallen out of those flying death rockets! :eek:

Had to laugh at your Astro Orbiter comment. Funny but true... DH & I almost got stuck in one of those awful things. We are both tall people (6'4 & 5'11) of average build and we thought it would be neat to ride together during one trip (what were we thinking?!?!?). We got in and when the ride stopped we had the hardest time unwedging ourselves. I had visions of a large shoehorn having to be brought in by the fire dept. to get us out. Needless to say we don't ride that thing together anymore.

Flying death rockets! Too funny! :rotfl: I rode those once and once was enough for me! Not a fan of Dumbo either (I have a thing about heights).

There are rafts that go to Tom Sawyer Island? Where have I been?

:happytv:

You mean I swam there when I could have rode a raft?!!!!

The island (yes, it truly is an island) is inaccessible except by boat (or swimming, I suppose. ;) )

MK-FLLibSq-S-All_092409.gif

I always thought they were on some sort of chain system that at least helped them along. I was surprised to hear they're totally free moving.

In 30 years of going to the Magic Kingdom, I've never once made that trip without getting my feet wet. Pretty much why I stopped going over to the island.

Am I the only one who thinks this has got to be the WORST job in all of WDW?! Taking that raft back and forth 10 feet nonstop for an 8 hour shift? :headache:

Am I the only one who thinks this has got to be the WORST job in all of WDW?! Taking that raft back and forth 10 feet nonstop for an 8 hour shift? :headache:

Yeah, it's got to be pretty bad, especially in summer. We rode the raft over this past June, and I swear, with all of the light reflecting off of the water, it felt like being ferried in a giant, sizzling skillet. I just about melted that day.

We just rode that again yesterday and I have to say that I have never ever (and yes I've been going since WDW opened) had water splash my feet while riding the TSI rafts. I've also never considered capsizing issues either. My 2 youngest love love love the island and a trip to the MK isn't complete without a trip to the island too :)

Had to laugh at your Astro Orbiter comment. Funny but true... DH & I almost got stuck in one of those awful things. We are both tall people (6'4 & 5'11) of average build and we thought it would be neat to ride together during one trip (what were we thinking?!?!?). We got in and when the ride stopped we had the hardest time unwedging ourselves. I had visions of a large shoehorn having to be brought in by the fire dept. to get us out. Needless to say we don't ride that thing together anymore.

:rotfl2:LMAO!!! I agree they are little deathtraps! Took DD on it last time & I swear--the whole time I'm thinking "I'm going to die on this stupid ride, wth?" I love roller coaster, but that ride FREAKS me out! Plus I agree--I think I had to help DH out! Still laughin!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter