Rafiki's Planet Watch

Dopey's-Girl

Earning My Ears
We go to Disney every year. I have a 5 year old. Our least favorite park is AK and we usually just go and spend half a day and leave.

However, we have never taken the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch. Am I missing out on something spectacular over there?

We go because it's there. I have not found anything spectacular about it.

PS: I'm in TN, too!

If your local zoo has an educational center and/or a petting zoo, that's pretty much what Rafiki's is. There are presentations of small animals like lizards or turtles. There's a vet center where you can watch animals being treated or operated on. There are a few other interactive displays inside and a petting zoo outside.

You may also meet some characters there.

We always enjoy Rafiki's Planet Watch. Enjoyable train ride with some behind the scenes offerings. Never been without characters while we were there. Animal surgery, different animals to see.

Nothing awesome or jaw dropping, but something we all enjoy and look forward to seeing it again.

In my family, we're big fans of the vet that's in there. We could stand peering in that window all day. But we're massive nerds too so it really has to be your kind of thing.

My brother is also obsessed with llamas... so we try to see if one is there every time. Otherwise skip it and get FP for EE instead.

This is the train to Conservation Station, right?

It is a very interesting place. We saw an animal being examined by a vet, got to pet a rabbit, and there is a whole area where other animals can be touched.

You can see the animals' food being prepared. We were able to ask questions about their diet.

There are sound booths to listen to the sounds of the rainforest.

We have seen Meeko and Jiminy Cricket with no lines. Jiminy Cricket was walking around and came over and sat beside me on a bench. I had him all to myself for almost 10 minutes. Poor Jiminy, I think I talked to him the whole time, of course he just nodded in agreement. DH was a few yards away and laughing so hard that I was talking away to Jiminy, when I'm not normally a very talkative person. I dunno it just felt magical.

This is a must do for us.

I would say that if you are looking for something to take up sometime head on over, there are some interesting things there, and with a 5 year old, they may like petting some of the animals that they have, and there as some characters around there usually.

We usually go over there just to make ourselves stay at AK longer, because like you it is our least favorite park. We always end up having fun and our little usually learns something new about an animal or two, it's always worth it. It's slow paced too so it's a nice opportunity to enjoy your family and talk because otherwise you are always moving so fast...got to get here...got to get there....

We like the charaters there and the gift shop. Can't seem to find them anywhere else in the parks. We have seen Jiminy Cricket, Pocahontas, Rafiki and Meeko. The train ride in nice and relaxing.

To describe it as "spectacular" might be a little hyperbolic, but it's still a neat area and certainly worth a visit. I look forward to the day that I get to go and see a live veterinary procedure.

However, it may be a bit too dry for a five-year-old, you may want to wait a few years.

Thanks for the information. We will definitely visit it some time, but may hold off on this coming visit.

I love Rafiki's. The train ride out there gives you a glimpse of backstage, and some of the baby animals that aren't old enough to be out on the safari or the walking trails.

There's a lot to do in the conservation station too- character M&G with no lines, watching vet procedures, petting zoo, gift shop, sustainable gifts, chatting with some of the conservation workers.

the best part of AK is the KILIMANJARO SAFARI we also like going to raffiki planet watch to see if there are any surgerys going on

We enjoy conservation station. If time is tight, we will skip it. But like many things at the Animal Kingdom, it is often overlooked. I can't imagine doing the AK in half a day! We usually need a second day there just because of fitting in the shows, walking trails, etc.

5 years old is the perfect age for the boneyard playground. My boys could play there all day long at that age.

I feel its worth the trip out there. I am adult and I like the petting zoo back there :lmao:

I wouldn’t say “spectacular” but it is worth seeing. It is something I enjoy. It doesn’t take long to see, and is a nice little break in the day.

It's things like this that really make this a full day park for us. The train ride, its nice to sit down and slow down, the station, interesting displays, characters, petting zoo, small shop. Mostly its about getting photo ops with the characters over there and getting in an air conditioned building in the summer. Allows us to re-charge the batteries a bit.

We are going to Disney in October & were thinking of going to Rafiki's. Are the characters there when it first opens or only later on? Does this part open a little later than the rest of the park? TIA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter