rafiki planet watch dilema

kanatamom

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone,

We will be visiting Animal Kingdom for the first time at the end of November. We have only one day planned for AK but we will try to take advantage of the morning EMH as we are generally early risers. We have limited time in the park and don't visit WDW very often.

We are more interested in seeing the animals and the shows than the rides. with the exception of Kilimanjaro safari.

My eldest DD(14) is interested in becoming a vet. My question is this: Is Rafiki's Planet Watch worth seeing in such a situation. I have heard mixed reviews, that it is time consuming, may be boring but also that they sometimes do procedures on the animals in the AM. Please share your experiences and thoughts.

Thanks,

Kanatamom

We rarely visit Planet Watch, even when we have 3 days at DAK.
And, when we DO go, it's just to see if they've done anything with the area that interests us.

So far... they haven't.

BTW, DAK is our second favorite park, after MK, so it's not that we don't like the place, in general.

The trip to Planet Watch can eat a lot of time out of your day.

It's a very long walk to and from the PW area from the train station.

You heard correctly. They sometimes do veterinary procedures in the morning. These can be quite interesting to some, disturbing to others.

We make a habit of going. If nothing particularly interesting is going on, my kids still enjoy talking to the animal experts about a variety of topics. You can always catch a train back if nothing there interests you.

David

I always visit Planet Watch but more for the characters. Earlier this month, we got pictures with Jiminy Cricket and last time (about 3 years ago) we got pictures with Rafiki.

I think it's interesting to see, but we don't linger for too long. I've also had luck with trains being right there when I want to go, so I've never wasted time waiting for a train.

I've also never seen a procedure being done, but I think when I'm at AK it's usually a weekend and maybe they do more Mon-Fri? I have seen people working on the animals' stool samples. Not really interesting for me, but for a future vet, maybe it is? :confused3

I think if you catch a procedure it will great for your child who is interested in becoming a vet. We saw a raccoon surgery (well some of it) my kids were a little flipped out so we did not stay. I wonder if there was a way to find out in advance to maybe save you some time there.

I think its worth going, my son loves Rafiki planet and he watch a surgery that morning. We first went to the safari ride and then headed here.

Try asking at guest services, or find a CM near the board stating the waits for rides. Ask them to call out to Rafiki's, and see what's on the schedule for the day. In 2003, we lucked upon a cheetah getting an endoscopy. Last year, we saw a lizard get his eye follow-up, and some juvenile birds get their physical and microchip. Other times: nothing.

Thanks everyone for your responses and for the link. Don't know how I missed that one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter