Radishes and Beets - what do you do with them?

EllenFrasier

DIS Veteran
My son wants to plant radishes and beets. I don't mind growing them, but what will I do with them once we have radishes and beets?:confused3 The only time I've seen a radish is in a tossed salad. Beets? :scared1:

I don't eat radishes in any way, shape, or form. Beets, OTOH, my family loves! My DM's side of the family eats them hot/cooked, and my DF's side pickles scads of them. (Pickled is my personal fave.) I have to tell ya, my DGM turns 100 in a few short weeks, she's sharp as a tack, and she's eaten root veggies like these daily for oh about a hundred years;).

Terri

I love both radishes and beets!

Radishes--mostly eat with a bit of salt. I'll occasionally slice them thin and do a quick pickle in rice wine vinegar with a bit of sugar. They tend to work best raw.

Beets--easier to cook with than you'd think. Lots of people who don't like beets have only had canned ones, which taste like dirt. :) Fresh ones are so much better! Cut off the tops (and sautee them with garlic and olive oil--yum!) and wrap them in aluminum foil. Roast at 425 for an hour or so (depending on how big they are). Allow them to cool a bit then rub the skins off with a clean dishtowel or rubber gloved hands. Slice and toss in salads or just eat.

When I was a teenager, my dad had a garden and grew radishes. My favorite way to eat them was a radish & mayo sandwich. Just a thin layer of mayo and slice the radishes. Not sure how many of these you can eat, but it is something to do with some of them.

ETA: The radishes are raw

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE roasted beets! (and pickled beets too) I'm growing some too (they're just seedlings in peat pots right now) as I can't justify spending the $3 for a bundle for 3-4 at the grocery store.

Radishes I haven't a clue. I'm not a big fan of them in salads so I've never tried them in any other way.

I love both radishes and beets. My favorite way to eat radishes is just with some hummus.

Beets are a huge hit at my house. The greens are one of my favorite things EVER. You can cook them with just a tiny bit of water in a big pot over low heat until they reduce--like cooking fresh spinach. My favorite is greens with baby beets- pick the beets when they're tiny and just leave them attached to the leaves but I also buy mature beets with the greens attached and cook them separately.

To cook large beets, I just boil them in some water until they're tender (about 30 - 45 minutes depending on the size) and then remove the skins (they'll slip off) and cut them up and serve them with butter, salt and pepper.

A few years back Martha Stewart had a radish show. She sliced them paper thin, placed them on white bakery bread, sprinked them with salt, and buttered the bread. It is a really delicious sandwich.

I love radishes and just eat them as a snack with a bit of ranch dressing. I would love to grow them because here they tend to be expensive and not all that fresh.

Beets - no way.

My mom came over with cooked beets and put them in my jar of pickle juice. She left them with me but said save some for your dad.

I gave some of them to the daycare children-they loved them.

Radish we cut them in 1/2 dip them in extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle them with sea salt.
Beware some radish varieties are hotter then others.We grew some that looked like white carrots . Very easy to grow takes like 25 days they dont like rocky soil.Hard to grow them we had this problem the first year wound up only growing the tops with tiny tiny radish bulb.

I have made beet jelly which is delicious on English muffins. It contains raspberry Jello and no one has ever detected a beet taste. Have also used beet juice to dye Easter eggs - careful though as it may stain other things.

funny story about beets.. we were visiting a relative who had a huge garden and we ate beets 3 nights in a row (they are SO yummy roasted with olive oil and salt) morning of the fourth day I was breastfeeding dd and she urped up some and it was BRIGHT PINK! :scared1: I paniced of course... until my great aunt (100 years young this september) told me it was from the beets!

I love radish and butter sandwiches ala martha stewart. YUM
I also love pickled beet salad

1 jar/can pickled beets diced
2 boiled eggs diced
1/4 cup miracle whip
1 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Mix together and chill for at least an hour. YUM :yay:

We used to eat radish sandwiches when I was little. White buttered bread with slices of radishes between.

I don't eat beets in any way, shape, or form. They taste like dirt to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter