Racist cop caught on video

I'm really confused by these responses. This is a huge issue in the USA right now, and if we cannot discuss it and how to change the hearts and minds of racists who abuse their power, how else can we solve the problems and heal the nation? We really have to have an open dialogue about the assymetical abuse of the powerless by those in positions of authority if we are to root it out.

So her asking him to please hurry up was enough to set him off like that? Something tells me that he probably fudged the answers on his psych exam to get on the force.

A Disney based discussion board seems like one of the most appropriate places to hold such discussions and will surely result in all kinds of improvements and change...

Said nobody ever...

I respectfully disagree. From my lurking here, this appears to be a diverse cross-section of the nation and the world that share a common love of Disney but otherwise have lots of unique and diverse opinions. If we cannot discuss how to root out this kind of institutionalized racism and discrimination, and have an open dialogue about how we change hearts and open minds, then what is our path forward? I don't expect anybody to defend the cop, but I am sincerely curious what people think is the best path forward to deal with this systemic problem.

A Disney based discussion board seems like one of the most appropriate places to hold such discussions and will surely result in all kinds of improvements and change...

Said nobody ever...

I think the fact that these discussions are showing up a Disney board shows that change and improvement is actually happening faster than people believe. If issues only show up on political boards it means that only a small fringe of the population is interested.

Based on what I saw and heard that LEO should be fired and charged with assault. I know being a cop is tough but if you can't handle it, please find something else to do.....What could she have done that justified his attitude? Traffic violations are no reason for a LEO to have such an attitude when pulling somebody over

I respectfully disagree. From my lurking here, this appears to be a diverse cross-section of the nation and the world that share a common love of Disney but otherwise have lots of unique and diverse opinions. If we cannot discuss how to root out this kind of institutionalized racism and discrimination, and have an open dialogue about how we change hearts and open minds, then what is our path forward? I don't expect anybody to defend the cop, but I am sincerely curious what people think is the best path forward to deal with this systemic problem.

My lurking here leads me to believe much differently than you do about many things here, but good luck with your endeavor.

I think the fact that these discussions are showing up a Disney board shows that change and improvement is actually happening faster than people believe. If issues only show up on political boards it means that only a small fringe of the population is interested.

Yes, I'm absolutely positive the only reason these discussions are showing up here is based on wanting change and improvement. Sorry, gotta go, my turnip truck is coming and I need to get back on.

From where I sit, the real issue with this thread is that political posts are verboten here, and police brutality is a political issue. I'm not going to narc on the OP or anything, but I think this thread may be doomed from the start.

I'm really confused by these responses. This is a huge issue in the USA right now, and if we cannot discuss it and how to change the hearts and minds of racists who abuse their power, how else can we solve the problems and heal the nation? We really have to have an open dialogue about the assymetical abuse of the powerless by those in positions of authority if we are to root it out.

Because there was a discussion on this topic a week ago that the Moderators closed because it turned into an argument and personal attacks. I agree with you, discussion is needed, I also respect the Moderators of these boards who do a thankless job in trying to balance a heated discussion and not let it get into personal attacks.

Last edited:
The problem is, that this board does not allow discussion of religion or politics. So "discussions" of this type wind up being unilateral discussions - or arguments. Some posters may have already been reprimanded. (And you may be, too, so be careful what you say!) Moderators have allowed a small bit of political and religious discussion in the context of grieving and support over some terrible events we've had recently. But a thread like this, the way it's worded and the way it's presented, isn't going to last long as a debate. People would like to respond, but can't or won't - probably unless they agree with you, as then there won't be much dissention. Pp's know this.

My lurking here leads me to believe much differently than you do about many things here, but good luck with your endeavor.

You appear to have been around a lot longer than I have, and so as the voice of experience you may be right. But that makes me kind of sad, because I cannot imagine how this isn't an issue of universal agreement, so it seems like we should be able to have a discussion about the best path forward since nobody will argue that racist police are not a bad and dangerous thing in a civilized society. Oh well, I just hope for better things I guess.

You appear to have been around a lot longer than I have, and so as the voice of experience you may be right. But that makes me kind of sad, because I cannot imagine how this isn't an issue of universal agreement, so it seems like we should be able to have a discussion about the best path forward since nobody will argue that racist police are not a bad and dangerous thing in a civilized society. Oh well, I just hope for better things I guess.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with any of the points of this topic. I just know, from watching a few threads over the past few weeks in particular, that this will not result in anything positive beyond a back and forth argument that will go on for pages and pages and pages. That's even if the mods/admins allow it to continue as the subject matter is very close to forbidden here, and a thread about this subject matter was closed just a few days ago. I understand what you say you hope to accomplish. I still feel that this is not a very good avenue to achieve anything positive.

Three tragic things about this story: the racial profiling that led to this woman's arrest, the terrifyingly racist statements by the cop, and the fact that other cops covered it up for a year.

And people wonder why minorities and the powerless are fearful of the police.

http://austin.blog.statesman.com/20...-breaion-kings-arrest-what-people-are-saying/
It's hard from this blog to draw many conclusions about why the woman was stopped -- so it's hard to know whether racial profiling was in play or not. The second officer certainly has some opinions about black people, but he is not the one who made the initial stop or the arrest.

The videos, however, appear quite clear on a couple of points. The video in this link is not the better one; it just shows the tail end of the situation. The much longer full video is much more damaging to the officer.

I don't know what prompted the officer to drag her out of the car, and there is no explanation as to the charges placed against her. However, the officer clearly used physical force where probably zero force was necessary. It was a little amusing that, as tough as he thinks he is, he was barely able to subdue Ms. King, and she really wasn't resisting much.

I won't jump to conclusions about the arresting officer's motivations, but he clearly used way too much force...and with minimal effectiveness.

The conversation in the police car is clearly inappropriate, so that officer deserves to be in trouble as well.

My expectation -- from both the statements of the chief, and the police union VP -- is those two will be fired.

I don't know why you think there is some kind of a cover-up. The video came to light when the Austin newspaper made an inquiry to the prosecutor's office, and they looked at the video. It's not clear who had the videos for a year, or why no issue was raised earlier. If the videos had been introduced as evidence -- as is likely -- they would have been in the custody of the courts, not the police.

No telling why this is finally coming to light -- possibly because Ms. King has filed a civil suit...which would certainly be appropriate in this situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter