Racial profiling? At Disney???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khcuttin1

Earning My Ears
I go to WDW all the time, but not until this last trip, a few weeks ago, that I clearly noticed something. Was it a fluke? When you go through security ( Magic Kingdom lets say ..because this is where I first noticed it)
Security checks your bags. Now as a white, "Mom looking" woman, I had a bag with 7 pockets, and the security guard literally glanced in my bag! I could have been carrying anything in that bag! The woman to my left was black, no children, and had a extremely small purse. They went through every lint filled corner of that little purse and then picked her to go through the metal detector! CLEARLY racial profiling. I started to intentionally "look" for that at the security entrances, and I was mortified to notice that if you are a minority, security goes through your bag with a fine tooth comb!! Disney? Yes, DISNEY. Has anybody else noticed this? They literally just glanced in my bag at every entrance. Can this be my imagination? If this is not my imagination, than something needs to done.. Racially profiling anywhere is disgusting and vile, but at Disney it seems particularly heinous. I would like to know if anybody has experienced this same thing at Disney?

Last edited:
I’m a Caucasian woman and they always inspect every pocket of my bag. I’m also a type 1 diabetic so that may be why? I get the terrorist treatment by TSA at every airport I fly out of so it’s nothing new for me, sadly.

So you assume there is racial profiling throughout Disney based on one perceived situation? Well then they must be racial profiling me as a white dude also since I always get picked to go through the detectors. My wife must also be a "victim" since they search her bag thoroughly? CLEARLY racial profiling? Could it be one security guards idea of a thorough search of bags is different from another? The guard that inspected your bag might have thought he did a thorough search of your bag.

I go to WDW all the time but it want until this last trip a few weeks ago that I clearly noticed something. Was it a fluke? When you go through security ( Magic Kingdom lets say because this is where I first noticed it)
Security checks your bags. Now as a white, "Mom looking" woman, I had a bag with 7 pockets and the security guard literally glanced in my bag! I could have been carrying anything in that bag! The woman to my left was black, no children, and had a extremely small purse. They went through every lint filled corner of that little purse and then picked her to go through the metal detector! CLEARLY racial profiling. I started to intentionally "look" for that at the security entrances, and I was mortified to notice that if you are a minority, security goes through your bag with a fine tooth comb!! Disney? Yes, DISNEY. Has anybody else noticed this? My bag they literally just glanced in too. Can this be my imagination? If this is not my imagination, than something needs to done.. Racially profiling anywhere is disgusting and vile, but at Disney it seems particularly heinous.

Security check experiences are all over the map for me. Sometimes thorough, sometimes not. Sometimes security is friendly and chatty, sometimes they don’t even look at you.

My mother, who is a slight, white and very unassuming woman in her 60's, is often singled out to go through the metal detectors at the parks. As a CM, she goes to the parks frequently. It's funny that you think they're racially profiling in one direction, when my family has observed security there often singling out more older caucasians. Assuming that Disney is racially profiling from one observed instance is confirmation bias, and that is a dangerous thing.

While I do believe racial profiling exists, I have never seen it in bag checks at WDW. My daughter and I (both caucasian) have had our bags checked to varied degrees - from the quick glance to the thorough 'open that zippered pocket, please, on the coin purse' level. As I'm standing in line, I'm watching how fast each security guard is going as well, so that I can possibly switch lines - so I've watched a lot of guards work. I've never seen them pick over one person's bag more than another, based on race. I have seen them go through more slowly when a person is reluctant to remove stuff from a bag, or left stuff in a stroller.

I’m white and I have always had my bag throughly searched.

Honestly, sometimes I think people just want to look for reasons to be offended.

Except the OP is white.

....bags. Now as a white, "Mom looking" woman, I had a bag with 7 pockets and....

that said, I don't disagree that there may be some racial profiling that happened at that instance, however, I hate when people take the action of 1 person, in this case a security guard, and lump the whole corporation into the act. I highly doubt Disney put out a memo saying to search colored people more thorough than others. This person may have a racial bias, maybe that day they were feeling more focused no ti then other days, maybe the person they searched had a more suspicious look or activity besides being a POC that made the guard feel he should do a deeper search. No one knows but the guard.

Yes, the OP also said that they took it upon themselves to do their own "looking for other examples" but again, no one knows but the person doing the act.

Last edited:
Except the OP is white.

....bags. Now as a white, "Mom looking" woman, I had a bag with 7 pockets and....

that said, I don't disagree that there may be some racial profiling that happened at that instance, however, I hate when people take the action of 1 person, in this case a security guard, and lump the whole corporation into the act. I highly doubt Disney put out a memo saying to search colored people more thorough than others. This person may have a racial bias, maybe that day they were feeling more focused no ti then other days, maybe the person they searched had a more suspicious look or activity besides being a POC that made the guard feel he should do a deeper search. No one knows but the guard.

Yes, the OP also said that they too kit upon themselves to do their own "looking for other examples" but again, no one knows but the person doing the act.

It was clear that the OP was white, but I read it as, she was offended for others who weren’t.

Racial profiling is everywhere but I haven’t specifically seen it at Disney - also have not really looked for it. I am a middle age white somewhat handicapped woman and they search my bag so thoroughly that I now open my glasses case for bag check because they always look in it - in addition to every single pocket and corner of my bag. I also frequently get pulled to metal detectors after bag check. (Don’t put stuff in my pockets or anything either). It wouldn’t surprise me if there is some racial profiling at times there. Clearly some security employees probably have at least some degree of racism since it is pretty common in society I hate to say.

I go to WDW all the time but it want until this last trip a few weeks ago that I clearly noticed something. Was it a fluke? When you go through security ( Magic Kingdom lets say because this is where I first noticed it)
Security checks your bags. Now as a white, "Mom looking" woman, I had a bag with 7 pockets and the security guard literally glanced in my bag! I could have been carrying anything in that bag! The woman to my left was black, no children, and had a extremely small purse. They went through every lint filled corner of that little purse and then picked her to go through the metal detector! CLEARLY racial profiling. I started to intentionally "look" for that at the security entrances, and I was mortified to notice that if you are a minority, security goes through your bag with a fine tooth comb!! Disney? Yes, DISNEY. Has anybody else noticed this? My bag they literally just glanced in too. Can this be my imagination? If this is not my imagination, than something needs to done.. Racially profiling anywhere is disgusting and vile, but at Disney it seems particularly heinous.

Okay, I can prove this is garbage being I'm that "black" mom. (I hate the term black by the way.....my skin color, my son's and husband's is NOT black. I prefer the terminology....chocolate :D ) Last time we went to Disney and yes this was 4 years ago, but if you are racial profiling now, you best believe you were racial profiling then. I was the ONLY one who was checked by security. My husband and son walked through since I was the one carrying the bag. I had everything unzipped and ready to go. The guard smiled at me and said good morning. I returned the sentiment. Less than a minute he said thank you ma'am and enjoy your time in the parks. I thanked him and moved on. So racial profiling, this is not. :sad2:

Here we go...................another SJW creating a problem where none exists! Why on earth would you stop in a congested area, turn around and watch one particular security guard to see his/her actions after you were admitted? My butt would have been heading to the park because that was the main reason I was there.
I'm not making any excuses for anyone who works at Disney.
Just stop this BS now. Nothing to see here!

As a white make I can say Disney security is all over the place no matter who you are. I’ve had them completely ignore all the pockets in our backpack and I’ve had them take each individual item out and look them over intensely. I’ve also had friendly ones, rude ones, gruff ones and indifferent ones.

Honestly if they were racially profiling people why would it even be black women? I not am sure what violent crimes they would be statistically higher to commit? I don't think there is any violent crime they would fit the "profile " of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter