Race week--Wk of Jan 1--2006 Disney Half-Full Marathon Info/Training

Hey guys! If you don't count Sunday, my longest run this week is 3 miles. I remember when I started and 3 miles felt so far!

I had a stonker of an 18 miler two weeks ago (only finished 15) and it messed with my confidence. But I know the reason that it was so bad, and my advice is to eat the night before the race. Don't overeat, of course, but focus on those carbs! It turns out two cookies and a glass of wine for dinner (it was a Christmas party that did not have the food I thought it would) does not provide the body with enough energy to run for 3 1/2 hours. Who knew? :confused3

But now the big week is here, and I want to thank you all for inspiring me, comforting me, and helping me believe this is possible! :grouphug:

Leigh Ann

lacool said:
It turns out two cookies and a glass of wine for dinner (it was a Christmas party that did not have the food I thought it would) does not provide the body with enough energy to run for 3 1/2 hours. Who knew? :confused3

:rotfl2: Isn't it amazing the useful information we have acquired along this journey??? I'll make a note not to eat cookies and wine for my pre-race dinner :rotfl: Actually, alcohol is a bad idea for the dehydration effect. Be careful everyone!

Love the quotes, Kathy! Thanks!

I'm going to do a short run today. I feel like a slug. I've hardly moved for two days and instead of being full of pent up energy I feel like I've never ran before. I have to keep reminding myself that I am prepared for this race. I get waves of panic, thinking I didn't really train :confused3 I guess these are the mind games tapering plays on one's psyche.

Sunny

Sunny - I can totally relate!!! I felt that way last week. I didn't run for an entire week. I kayaked and climbed, but no running. This week I'm feeling ready to go (but I'm having some waves of panic about my ability as well!) I'm having some packing panic waves too! I realized I have no shorts!!!!! I generally wear comfortable dresses in the summer. I guess I'll just pack those. They are very casual and I like them. I also realized that I don't know if I have all of the stuff I need for checking in and so on... I called the travel agent, but they are not there today. I didn't get a conf. # for my resort and I don't have any papers for the park passes and the meal plan. I have no idea how to get them! I may call disney travel today and ask!

I think i figured out my throw off pants, which is one thing done, but i'm still struggling with race clothing. I hate being cold!!! I'm sure I'll be fine once we get running.! I think I'm going to have a list of questions ready for the trails end!!!!!

Cam - How is Howard today? What is your current status?????

MelRhoads said:
Cam - How is Howard today? What is your current status?????

Thanks for asking, Melissa. :goodvibes I am at work but just spoke with him. He slept through the night which is awesome (with the help of percocet) and said he is well enough to drive about 45 minutes this afternoon to pick up his brother at the bus station. All systems are go for us leaving for Orlando Thursday a.m., but I think Howard is realizing he just might not be up to showing up at the start line as a participant. I know that last night he hoped to get to the Y today and see if he could do something on the treadmill, but he didn't mention that when I just spoke with him. I am glad he isn't pushing it. I think he is just so grateful to be home and at something other than level 12 pain.

I really want him to enjoy our time away together sans kids, and I think if he tries to even walk the 1/2 he will probably wipe himself out. Looking for a bright spot here for him -- maybe he can drink a glass of champagne for me on Friday to celebrate the one year anniversary of my heart surgery and cure. :drinking1 Heck, the thought of champagne would certainly be a bright spot for me! ;)

Thanks again, everyone, for being there for me this weekend when I was hysterical. You're probably used to that by now with me! :rolleyes: Absolutely cannot wait to meet everyone and share hugs on Friday! :grouphug:

Cam,
Be sure to raise one after for sure; we went to France so I might.
Today, I raise it to you for your accomplishments!
f572f744.jpg

plutosmyfav said:
I have to keep reminding myself that I am prepared for this race. I get waves of panic, thinking I didn't really train :confused3 I guess these are the mind games tapering plays on one's psyche. Sunny

Happy New Year everybody!!

It has been a crazy last few days. I'm a little behind reading posts but I'm gathering that Howard had to go to the hospital?? OMG!! That's horrible!!!
I'll be praying for you guys Cam. I really hope you still get to come to the race.

Sunny - I totally know what you're talking about with the waves of panic. And I've run the race twice before! Actually I am really nervous all of the sudden about doing the goofy. I have also had nightmares about oversleeping, even though I know DFIL will beat on my door if I'm not where I'm supposed to be at said time, not to mention Christa would call my cell but I'm STILL in total freak out mode! My poor DH is ready to move out, I have been so ill.
I know I have trained, my 12 & 24 mile training runs went very well, I've done all I'm supposed to be doing but I am still so nervous.
Anybody else keep walking past your suitcase scared to attempt to start packing? What if I forget something, what if I pack too warm, too cold, or I forget one of my race day outfits??? AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

BUT - I can not wait to meet all of you Friday. And I have been so thankful to look on these boards the last few months and see that you guys have been going through all I've been going through. It has been a constant encouragement.

well must go walk past that suitcase again.

TTFN,
~bree~

Just about packed up to head back to Florida bright and early tomorrow a.m. Took the lazy approach and didn't run today. :(

But my race bag is packed and traveling with me carryon. With a few of the girls Christmas presents as well LOL!

Hey guys! How's everyone doing? Can you believe it's only 100 hours till Trail's End? Nothing like a little reality check to work up those pre-race jitters, huh? :)

Cam--glad to hear Howard's doing better. Hopefully, you guys will be able to have a great weekend in Disney, regardless if he makes it to the start line or not. We'll be praying that you guys will have a good time.

Don't really have too much to report. Just wanted to check in this week since I haven't posted in awhile. Krista and I are doing well with tapering, although we both agree that we're starting to doubt our "readiness" for the races since the long LRs were over 2 weeks ago. Gotta love the mental anguish we all put ourselves through, right?

Ok, here's a question. Does anyone else feel the need to use all kinds of sunscreen down in the HOT Florida sun? I bring this up because I have not trained with sunscreen at all, and it occurred to me last week that I will most likely use some on race day. I'm thinking this could be a problem at mile 22 when the stuff is dripping into my eyes. Does anyone recommend a particular brand? How do I keep this stuff from becoming annoying? I'm guessing I should have thought about this say, oh, 2 months ago, but we don't get quite as much direct sunlight up here in Ohio, so it hasn't been an issue.

Have a great week, everyone. See you all on Friday!

Steve

I can't stay away from these boards for three days! I miss too much!

Cam - OMG! I read all your posts! Poor Howard! :grouphug: I'm glad to read he is feeling better, but listen...if you want me to come down there this weekend and keep him company. We could meet you at the finish line. You know, just in case he needs something. I'd do it, cause that's the kind of girl I am. :teeth: He must be sooo disappointed but really I suppose it's best if he doesn't do it. Only he can make that call I guess.

Oh you poor thing. I feel badly for you too. Even though you don't have Level 12 pain, geez, I know this time next year I'll have Level 12 nervousness! I am sending lots and lots of P & PD for both of you. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Wow, this is the last post before you guys leave...... :cheer2:

Half marathon will conclude by 9:30am--so I don't think sunscreen will be necessary as it is winter and it is early morning sun. Unless you have issues with past cancer screenings or past cancer diagnosis--I think it will be fine to not use it at all.

Full marathon concludes by 1pm (with non-swept participants finishing NLT 2pm)....so those participants might consider using sunscreen.

I have the most problem with sports creams--but I say use anything you can get in one of those small disposable pouches---and perhaps wear sunglasses and avoide the eye area completely with the sunscreen.

The creams that work best for me are the baby creams with 50spf--I have never seemed to have them go into my eyes as much as the sports stuff does.

Oversleepers---set your alarms AND get a wake up call. I was sooo concerned about not waking up--and the double wake up alarm worked really well. Then again--I was up until midnight violently ill--so not really sure if I ever went to sleep anyway.

Honeibee -- I'd feel soo much better if you came down and provided moral support. Pretty please? <---- This is Cam giving Judy an excuse to take off to Orlando for the weekend! Come on, I'm sure there's plenty of room at TE, and you wouldn't have to be by yourself. Oh, and in case you've missed my SIX posts about it, we still have a second bedroom up for grabs if someone needs a place to stay Friday and Saturday nights! :Pinkbounc

Lisa -- I am so glad this is going to be an entirely different experience for you. Sending prayers & :wizard: that everyone stays healthy! (Glad that I didn't end up with anything worse than a scratchy throat from hanging around an hospital for 2 days with all those SICK people! EUWWWW!

For anyone heading out soon -- travel well. See you all at TE in about 98.5 hours! :cheer2: For anyone dining elsewhere, see you at the start or along the full course -- we'll be screaming for you near BW or BCV!!!

Stephen - I usually just get normal sunscreen for my arms, legs... I wear a visor or hat to sheild my face and that way I don't have to use the sunscreen on my forehead or around my eyes. I can still put it on cheeks, nose and chin. Hope that helps.

Hey everyone, can you believe we almost made it? I can hardly believe the journey is almost over. I am so proud of all of us, we have worked really hard for this, through sickness, injuries, bad weather, and in my case bad attitudes at times, but we made it. I can't wait to get my Donald medal and to see the Mickey and Goofy medals. I better pack a box of tissues, I know I will be a mess!! I'm excited to meet you all, you have no idea what a huge help and inspiration you have been to me over the past 7 months, I couldn't ask for a better group of friends!

I officially have 2 more runs this week, 40 minutes today and 30 minutes on Wednesday. I ended my lr's on a positive note, I did 6 miles on Saturday and I had a PR. It took me 1 hour and 9 minutes, before that my best 6 miles (not counting the 10K I did in 1 hr and 7 min because race times are always faster) was like 1 hour and 13 minutes. I was especially excited because I ran at a park in Pittsburgh (Stephen's grandparents live there and we were there for Christmas) that was pretty hilly, especially to this flat Ohioian. I'm really glad that I had a great run, it helped my confidence, but I'm still pretty nervous, I'm just trying to block this weekend out until I have to deal with it. :teeth:

Cam--I'm so sorry to hear about Howard and glad to hear that he is doing better. You are both in my prayers.

Lily--Beautiful picture! That duck sure looks good on you! :goodvibes I rarely drink, but I may just have to kick back something to celebrate on Saturday.

I better go, I'm on my way to the grocery store. I've been off work since Dec. 23 and I'm really dreading going back tomorrow--I can certainly get used to this staying home thing!!

Can't wait to meet you all in just 4 hours and 2 1/2 hours--WOW!!!

Krista princess:

Oh, Mel--thanks for making me cry with your poem!! :)

I am soooo excited, I can't actually believe I am doing this.

Cam - I am sure he is disappointed

This board has bee such an inspiration and a blessing. It has kept me focUsed and kept my anxiety down to a dull roar.

I would think sunscreen shouldn' t be a problem. I do avoid the ones with lots of fragrance, they tend to make me break out when I sweat(pardon me, perspire).

I have about 3 alarms ready to go including the one on my cell phone. I may sleep through an alarm but never a phone call!!

Can't wait to meet everyone.

We are out Wed morning but bringing my laptop not missing a thing.

Cam, glad Howard is at home resting! I am sure everything is going to go well this weekend. He will know what his body can do.

I had an effortless 6 mile LR on Saturday and then this mornings 3 mile was drudgery. There was no way I could have ran 8 or 10 this morning. I did run nice and slow this morning, DH would have been proud. This is the first time I am starting to doubt my training. I ran my last long run 3 1/2 weeks out (December 14th) and I am starting to wonder if it has been too long. Well, too late now, whatever will be will be.

O.k. body now it is your turn to rest, recover, rest and heal.

BTW, what are your plans in Orlando 2 days before you race? I really want to go to MGM on Friday with DH and the kids on ride tower of terror and rock n' roller coaster. DH is advising against it, so would like to hear everyone else's plans besides the Expo and Trails End.

Colleen

Stephen, I agree with Melissa. I am wearing a visor. I put sunscreen on my face BELOW my eyes (ie, cheeks, nose) but wouldn't dare put it above. I've suffered that fate before! Even "Sports" "sweat-proof" sunscreen ends up in the eyes and KILLS. But I'm concerned about applying sunscreen at 4AM and then not really needing it for ~4 hours. I can't imagine carrying some with me and taking time to apply it during race. Any advice??????

I'm just back from the Y. I did 4.25 on the TM, it was wonderful. Easy as pie! I even ramped upto 7.0 mph for the last mile and it was child's play :teeth: I feel better now. I did upper body weights, too but only about half of my normal routine.

I'm stressing about the weather. What will work clothing wise. I'm trying to imagine what it will feel like standing around in the dark at ~40degF :confused3 I'm pretty tough when it comes to the cold, but Lisa's advice made me think; I don't want to waste energy shivering for an hour or more. I'm thinking along with my throw away pants and sweatshirt I might bring a throw-away blanket. How in the world will I fit that into the suitcase :crazy: By the time I'm done I will have enough race outfits for 16 races and enough casual clothes to last us, um, maybe 18 hours :rotfl2:

Sunny

Colleen-- I haven't decided which park we will be at the 2 days prior, but we will definitely be park hopping. I'm not worrying about it as Dx and DS can't tolerate "park commando" style so it shouldn't be too taxing as far as taper goes. I'd say just be careful to not be on your feet constantly and turn in fairly early both nights. NO PI dancing to the wee hours :rotfl2:

I hope others will post their more intelligent plans!!!!!

Sunny

Lily - Awesome pic! can't wait to toastmyself!

Stephen - Been worried about sun block myself. I'm rather pale and I think it won't hurt. We did not use it much this summer while running as it was early morning or evening. I really haven't seen th esunin months, though, so, I'll want to apply some so I can enjoy teh rest of my vacation.

I am soooooo excited. I cannot believe it. 80 minuets of training 'til marathon.

Leigh ann - We did 15.5 on our 18-miler with similar tactical errors plus weather issues. We rocked on teh 20, though. I think the valuable lessons learned were needed so we do not screw up on race day.

Safe travels to all traveling soon. We fly out Friday evening. WOrried the weeather will mess with our flight, but that's just one of the list. ;) I hope to see you all after the finish of teh half Saturday!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter