Race Reports/Encouragement/Kudos - 6 and 7 October

Big Vic

DIS Veteran
Saturday, 6 Oct

6 - GaRain (Lara) Firefly Run, Atlanta, GA

Sunday, 7 Oct

7  Chicago Marathon, Chicago, IL
Dug720 (Beth), mommylo (May), RunRookie (Rick)

7  DrMomof3 (Amanda) Westchester Medical Center Half, NY
7 - KeenHo (Howard) Delaware Distance Classic 15K
7  megny (Megan), PRmamiDEdos () Run like a Diva Half Marathon, Long Island, NY
7 - Tiger Lily 03 (Lily) Towpath Marathon/Half Marathon
7  VernRDH (), wood8176 () Mohawk Hudson River Marathon, Albany NY

:jumping1: GO! WISH Team GO! :jumping1:

Good luck everyone, especially Lilly doing the Towpath.

I'm doing two 5k's this weekend and both are hilly. Saturday is my favorite race of the year down in Akron. It is a Halloween race that goes through an old cemetery. Sunday I'm doing a race in our zoo which is also hilly but I love running through the zoo.

Good Luck everyone....I am volunteering for a race for the first time.....the Run for the Tata's, a 5k chaser race in Wilmington, NC. The women start first and get a 2 and half minute head start. Whoever wins the race gets $1000. That is some serious cash for a short race. Anyway, the weather should be beautiful and I am looking forward to helping out on the course.

Qltrgrl2 said:
Good Luck everyone....I am volunteering for a race for the first time.....the Run for the Tata's, a 5k chaser race in Wilmington, NC. The women start first and get a 2 and half minute head start. Whoever wins the race gets $1000. That is some serious cash for a short race. Anyway, the weather should be beautiful and I am looking forward to helping out on the course.

I was hoping to run this. My husband wound up forced into overtime and I couldn't go. Sounds like it was an amazing race.

The Diva was good. I got to Eishenhower Park before 7 and parked by the ladies room so I didn't have to use a PP before walking to the start line. I think they could have placed more signs showing which way to go for bag check and which way to walk to the start. I was almost at the start line when I realized I had to jog 1/2 mile back to check my bag and then jog the 1/2 mile to the start so I didn't miss it.

There weren't specific corrals so ladies were able to get in the minute areas they wanted. I started in the 10:00-11:00 minute per mile area and had to weave my way around quite a few women.

I started pretty well, didn't stop until I needed to take a gel at mile 4.5 at a water stop but I made it quick and kept right on until the 10k point where I started to do walk/run intervals. I was happy and felt good about the run. I PR'd by almost 50 minutes from my first 1/2 at the PHM in February and finished at 2:33:55.

My feet are bothering me a little but my body feels MUCH better than it did at the PHM.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.

Did the Diva Half today in Long Island and LOVED it!

PRmamiDEdos, congrats on your great race! I found some of the organization at the beginning to be lacking, too... we kept saying that there was more signage at the tiny expo than at the start. I was worried about what that boded for the actual race, since I'm a walker and would be pulling up the rear of the crowd, but I was pleasantly surprised with lots of music, local cheer teams, great spectators, well-stocked water/powerade stations... I had no complaints about how the race was executed.

And I'll tell you... there's nothing like getting a fun tiara & boa at mile 12, and the finish... amazing medal, flowers from a handsome gentleman in a tuxedo, champagne in a cute glass and pics with shirtless firefighters. It was a pretty fabulous ending.

Pulled off a 3:27, which included a few breaks and is faster than any of my recent Disney half times, so I'm very pleased.

Host hotel & the race transportation (though you had to buy tickets for $10) were both wonderful. Would do this race again in a heartbeat.

Hope all the other racers this weekend had a great time!

I did it! I finished the Chicago Marathon, my first! I am overwhelmed right now. The race course and cheer support was phenomenal! Definitely a course I would recommend!

Now I am tired and sore, but it was worth the 300+ miles of training! Race report coming later today. :)

Thanks to all of the well W.I.S.H.ers!!! :cheer2:

The run was fantastic. There are large stretches of very scenic asphalt bike paths that run through the fall foliage along both the Mohawk and Hudson Rivers. The weather conditions were nearly ideal for me. Starting temperature of about 44 degrees F, mild humidity. Finishing temp 53 degrees, no rain, but slightly overcast.

The crowd support was tremendous at the finish, good at the designated viewing areas, and sporadic in between. Coming down the home stretch, the crowd forms a chute that makes you feel like you are about to win the race, even if you were 510th out of 924 (like me!).

One of the biggest draws for this race is the fast course. The course begins in downtown Schenectady winding through a residential area for about four miles before picking up the Mohawk bike path. In the first half, there are a few small rolling hills. The second half follows the bike path, leaving it briefly before picking up the Hudson bike path for the final four miles or so. The second half is mostly a smooth gradual downhill. Overall the course advertizes a net drop of 370 feet from start to finish.

I finished the Hudson Mohawk Marathon on Sunday in a PR of 4:09:19. This was my third marathon (Goofy Jan '11, Mount Desert Island, ME '11).

Great Race Report, Rick! And congratulations on another big step on your Journey!

I can't wait to see what you accomplish next, also!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter