Race medal question....do all races give finisher medals to those who are swept?

Wow, there is a reason I guess I stayed away from the Run Like a Girl Events. Definitely keeping those off the list. Disney should really publish the same thing.

I actually have an issue with the "I Did It" shirts... but not as much as the medal. I really feel like they should be only offered only at the family reunion area or in a designated outlet once a runner has completed the race. Then the runner should have to provide their bib number to purchase that or any other finisher gear. OK no stones as I understand that this is not how Disney or RNR handle finisher gear. So since the race offers a limited number of I Did It stuff, then I fully understand the need to lock in the purchase pre-race. If one does not, then the gear is sold out be the time one actually did it.

I would not wear the gear until I actually did it, and if I failed, I would return the shirt to the ESPN store for credit. Simply bad mojo to wear a shirt noting that you did something you really did not do. Likewise, I would not wear a race shirt for which I did not start or volunteer.

I agree with the I did it shirts. Have them in the finish area for sale.

I can tell you that when I did the marathon in 2011 there was a trailer set up with a small selection of finisher shirts that you could even personalize with your time or name. I finished in 3:16 and when I got there only one adults small was left so I bought it. That isn't a great time but considering how many people do Disney just to do it, get some pictures, and make it across the line in under the minimum pace it is pretty crappy that running a 3:17 might mean they were out of finisher shirts in your size. Even the other sizes only had a few remaining. It wasn't like they had 200 mediums, larges, and extra larges and only a few smalls.

cewait said:
I actually have an issue with the "I Did It" shirts... but not as much as the medal. I really feel like they should be only offered only at the family reunion area or in a designated outlet once a runner has completed the race. Then the runner should have to provide their bib number to purchase that or any other finisher gear. OK no stones as I understand that this is not how Disney or RNR handle finisher gear. So since the race offers a limited number of I Did It stuff, then I fully understand the need to lock in the purchase pre-race. If one does not, then the gear is sold out be the time one actually did it.

I would not wear the gear until I actually did it, and if I failed, I would return the shirt to the ESPN store for credit. Simply bad mojo to wear a shirt noting that you did something you really did not do. Likewise, I would not wear a race shirt for which I did not start or volunteer.

I felt this way at the PHM in February. I bought my D&B bag and i did it shirt with all intentions of finishing but kept my receipt just in case I didn't. The bag situation was a nightmare and I felt runners should have been given first dibs on them. I was surprised how many went up on eBay the day the expo started.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.

Interesting morphing from medals to shirts, cutting the course, training routines, intensity of workout.......

Bottom line is that there is an entry fee. That entry fee includes whatever the event holder decides to include from the time the competitor shows up at the expo to when the competitor leaves the race, whether victorious in completion of the race or not. If a person wants to purchase and wear an "I did it shirt" or accepts a medal after not completing the event, doesn't bother me one bit. Bad mojo :confused3, nojo as far as I am concerned. Like wearing the shirt or medal is going to give the individual shin splints, NOT.

Local races might cost $25/$35 with WDW races costing far more. If Disney wants to hand me a medal after I get dropped off the sweeper bus, fine because I paid for it just like the person who made it over the finish line under their own power. If I want to wear it or not, my business not someone else's.

A little story about my true feelings regarding this matter....

I started a journey in March of this year towards the completion of an Ironman Triathlon next year, my 63rd birthday year. IMFL was my number one choice so DW was on the computer when registration opened. She got in to register but because her typing skills are not top notch, she was unable to complete the information within the one minute it took for the public openings to sell out. :sad: Since we already had reservations for accommodations next year she decided we still go and we would volunteer so I had a guaranteed second dibs for 2014. She then went back on the computer and the Ironman Foundation Entry openings just became available. She said "I want you in it next year" and proceeded to enter me. I am in for 2013 and have already started to train.

I have 50 more weeks to prepare myself and I will say right now that should I not complete within the 17 hours, I will have to wait for another event to wear or display Ironman stuff.

This will be my first ever marathon...Disney is the ONLY one I want to run...I'm NOT a distance runner and struggle with it tremendously. I've got an injured knee and plantar fasciitis. Both are VERY painful. However, I've invested a lot of time in attempting to train since July. Today, I was only able to do 10 miles...under the required time still but I'm concerned that I might not make it.

I've invested money in the race...money to fly there, money in a hotel reservation, money in food, money in tickets to the park, money in 2 new pairs of shoes, running gear for cold weather, gels, KT tape, and the list will continue to go on.

I've also raised $1000 for JDRF to run with their team. It has not been easy but I'm trying...

To think that all of my effort has some with their noses turned up at me hurts...I will STILL put in 100% and attempt to reach the 26.2 finish line. I'm hoping that the Disney parks will be a welcome change of pace and flatter terrain will help me too.

I'm trying...I'm grateful that Disney sees ME (not one of the people who's planning to get swept just for a medal) as a finisher...whether I cross the line or not but because I've put in WELL OVER 26.2 miles in training to be there.

Truly not sure what to think but saddened that I came across this post and felt I needed to give some perspective from a runner who feels like she is trying to make it.

A BIG thank you to those of you who have said it doesn't affect you whether someone is given the medal or no. It means more to me (and probably many others who aren't reading but not responding) than I can express in words!!

This will be my first ever marathon...Disney is the ONLY one I want to run...I'm NOT a distance runner and struggle with it tremendously. I've got an injured knee and plantar fasciitis. Both are VERY painful. However, I've invested a lot of time in attempting to train since July. Today, I was only able to do 10 miles...under the required time still but I'm concerned that I might not make it.

I've invested money in the race...money to fly there, money in a hotel reservation, money in food, money in tickets to the park, money in 2 new pairs of shoes, running gear for cold weather, gels, KT tape, and the list will continue to go on.

I've also raised $1000 for JDRF to run with their team. It has not been easy but I'm trying...

To think that all of my effort has some with their noses turned up at me hurts...I will STILL put in 100% and attempt to reach the 26.2 finish line. I'm hoping that the Disney parks will be a welcome change of pace and flatter terrain will help me too.

I'm trying...I'm grateful that Disney sees ME (not one of the people who's planning to get swept just for a medal) as a finisher...whether I cross the line or not but because I've put in WELL OVER 26.2 miles in training to be there.

Truly not sure what to think but saddened that I came across this post and felt I needed to give some perspective from a runner who feels like she is trying to make it.

A BIG thank you to those of you who have said it doesn't affect you whether someone is given the medal or no. It means more to me (and probably many others who aren't reading but not responding) than I can express in words!!

I applaud you regarding your determination to complete a marathon and wish you the best of luck. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

And even if you feel like everyone is really fast there is no shame in being the slowest. I've run 2 10k and a half marathon here at home and we solidly placed in the very back of the pack each time. The half we last did, there were a whole 9 people who finished behind us..

But guess what? We got so much encouragement the whole way from spectators, finishers and the on-course volunteers. And as awesome as all the fast runners are, there is a grit and determination that goes with those of us plugging along at the back - someone has to be last!

That said, we busted out butts to make sure we stayed within the pace. Had we been swept, there's no way I'd have taken a medal. To me, the medal is the symbol of completion. That's why I got a PR at my last half: I really, really wanted the cool medal.

The last 5K I ran (2 weeks ago) I was beaten by a 10 yr old, but I also won my age group (I think there were 3 of us LOL.) So in a local race almost anything can happen.

As for the medal for DNF I do believe it devalues all the finishers medals, if you're going to give them to everyone call them a participant medal then there's no problem. I do value my medals and would never take one I didn't earn. I have a race shirt from the first DL half marathon I won't even wear because my DD decided to get married that weekend and I couldn't do the race. I do buy the "I Did It" shirts before I do it though, but I'd never wear one I didn't actually earn either. Those are my opinions and I realize you all have yours also. We don't have to like each others opinion, but we have to respect each other and not be calling each other names because our opinions differ.

Thanks to Coach and everyone else around here that's posted good running info!

We all think we are going to get swept for our first races especially. I think that is what motivates us to keeping pushing forward. I hope that you don't get swept and are just discouraged from the PF and other issues. It is great that you are running with the JDRF team because that may actually work to your advantage. Thank you for raising money for such a great cause.

The race hasn't been held yet, so I find it hard to understand how people would be looking down on you and your effort. I think we're all investing time, money, and effort in training, hotels, and everything else you listed in order to get ourselves ready for, at, and through the weekend's events. We're all in the same place right now - hoping to get to the start injury-free, hoping we run the times we're shooting for, hoping we make it through the race standing up, hoping we don't get swept. Each of those factors might be more or less important in any given person's mind, but they're all there to some small extent. That's part of what binds us all together as runners. We all go through similar experiences leading up to big races and can support and help each other as we do.

No one is looking down their nose at your time or effort. I applaud anyone who even starts a race. However, no matter how much time, effort, money, and pain you put into a race the only people who actually earn a finisher's medal are those that finish the entire 13.1 or 26.2 mile in the alloted amount of time.

People are free to rationalize it however they want but no matter how hard getting to the start of any race is you don't earn a finisher's medal for it. Ever. Full Stop.

No one is looking down their nose at your time or effort. I applaud anyone how even starts a race. However, no matter how much time, effort, money, and pain you put into a race the only people who actually earn a finisher's medal are those that finish the entire 13.1 or 26.2 mile in the alloted amount of time.

People are free to rationalize it however they want but no matter how hard getting to the start of any race is you don't earn a finisher's medal for it. Ever. Full Stop.

I agree! Half marathons and marathons are an athletic accomplishment, and there is a reason not everyone is out there trying to do them. Yes, you worked hard, but so did everyone else! As a teacher, I get the "but I deserve an A because I tried" argument constantly. Sometimes, you can try, and still fail. It's a fact of life. You don't magically get a college degree, a part on broadway, your dream job, or anything else because you "tried".

It reminds me of all the people on the singing shows crying into the camera that they "deserve to be here" because they "want it so bad". Well, so does everyone else. All of the 17,000 or whatever finishers tried just as hard as you did. If you fail, try again!

And yes, I do fault Disney for this. I love Disney to pieces, but every time I hear the "if you wish upon a star" or "all your dreams will come true!", I cringe a bit knowing that it sends the wrong message to our kids.

I am sorry if I came across as mean. I am a person who went literally from the couch 50 pounds overweight to completing half marathons, so I do not have the natural ability to just go out and run. Perhaps that is part of the reason I am not all that sympathetic. If I could do it with proper training, so can you!

I agree.

Even his "run for time" plan is really a maintenance of current ability plan in my eyes. While he gets thousands of runners across the finish line annually, his plan relies too much on the long run and leaves the mid week run to the runner's imagination. Most simply head out the door to run 45 minutes with no purpose. My experience demonstrates this well. I was a 14-15 mm runner using either the Galloway or USAFit plans. I was destined to remain there until I decided that I needed to learn the reasoning behind training.

Reading this, do not panic and bail to another plan. These plans will get you to the finish line. Just between January and the next race long take it upon yourself to learn about other plans. Take the spring season to do speed work. Learn about fueling and hydration. Work to wean oneself from the run/walk over a 5k race (this will allow you to set your own run/walk ratio in future races that fit your conditioning better) . Work on creating a better injury-proof body through strength training.

It's very doable and possible for anyone on this forum to make huge leaps in performance between the 2013 and 2014 events.

I love this because it's what I have been doing after a lot of fumbling around, and I'm relieved to hear I'm on the right track. After PRing my second half with 4/1 intervals (2:44), I'm now training for a 5K with speedwork and no intervals; goal is <35m on a hilly course in 2 weeks.

Perhaps this is off topic for this thread, but any more specifics on the advice to "set your own run/walk ratio in future races"? I'm thinking about training to run continuously at the Princess and then do some speedwork for my late May half, but am worried I may find myself slowing down. I'm not expecting to PR the princess, but just can't decide on a strategy WRT intervals or not for the 13.1 distance.

For the record I'll weigh in on the OP. I think most big races have a lot of different people running a lot of different races. Some are there for competition with others and their field position, some are there for a PR, some are there to mark their training, and some are there to challenge themselves. Some are probably there because someone roped them into it, or they thought a big challenge would jump-start their ambitions (and sometimes it doesn't work out that way).

As a slow runner, I appreciate that Disney races are pretty friendly to slow people. I understand why people wouldn't want non-finishers to get medals, and honestly as someone who might have been swept last year, I would have been heartbroken to receive a medal if I had been swept. Even so, I personally don't begrudge anyone who might feel that the medal means something to them. To me the medal is personal symbol of a personal journey, and it means something different to each person. I find I'm happiest when I focus on my own journey. I'm glad I'm not the RD who has to make this decision, and I sign up under the RD's terms and respect them.

Cate

And just to add some fuel to the fire, just saw this:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201211/nyc-marathon-medals-available-locals

Apparently, you didn't even need to start the NYC Marathon this year! Although, this is a little difference since there were no Finishers, but still...thoughts?

I think they should get the medal based on the way the idiot mayor cancelled the race at the last minute:furious:. He knew exactly what he was doing. He got the hotel and restaurant revenue, the expo revenue and then cancelled the race. It should have been done the Tuesday before the marathon, not on Friday. I was all for the marathon being cancelled, but felt bad for the people that flew in on Friday and then found out it was cancelled at the expo.

I think they should get the medal based on the way the idiot mayor cancelled the race at the last minute:furious:. He knew exactly what he was doing. He got the hotel and restaurant revenue, the expo revenue and then cancelled the race. It should have been done the Tuesday before the marathon, not on Friday. I was all for the marathon being cancelled, but felt bad for the people that flew in on Friday and then found out it was cancelled at the expo.

I definitely agree with that! I had a lot of conversations with people about. Many people had no idea how much these runners pay in an entry fee. They think it's a taxpayer funded race for some reason. I felt terrible for those coming in from out of the country!

No one is looking down their nose at your time or effort. I applaud anyone how even starts a race. However, no matter how much time, effort, money, and pain you put into a race the only people who actually earn a finisher's medal are those that finish the entire 13.1 or 26.2 mile in the alloted amount of time.

100% agree. I hate to sound mean, but I feel that everyone who registers for the race and attends packet pick-up gets the race tech shirt. If Disney is going to call the medal the Finisher's Medal, that should only be reserved for those that finish the race.

I love this because it's what I have been doing after a lot of fumbling around, and I'm relieved to hear I'm on the right track. After PRing my second half with 4/1 intervals (2:44), I'm now training for a 5K with speedwork and no intervals; goal is <35m on a hilly course in 2 weeks.

Perhaps this is off topic for this thread, but any more specifics on the advice to "set your own run/walk ratio in future races"? I'm thinking about training to run continuously at the Princess and then do some speedwork for my late May half, but am worried I may find myself slowing down. I'm not expecting to PR the princess, but just can't decide on a strategy WRT intervals or not for the 13.1 distance.

...[snip]...

Not sure how much this helps, but I started out with the same intervals you used for your half PR - 4/1 (congrats, by the way!). I think I then went to 5/1 for awhile, then run 1 mile/walk 1 minute. Right now I'm at run 2 miles/walk 1 minute. I think I started this way because I was told to take fluids every 20 minutes (which is about every 2 miles for me) so I time my water breaks with the walk breaks. I also like it a bit better because it makes the run feel shorter to me if I'm taking less walk breaks...it's totally a mental thing. :confused3 I think it's just one of the many things you may want to fool around with in training until you figure out what works best for you. :thumbsup2

JCH said:
And just to add some fuel to the fire, just saw this:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201211/nyc-marathon-medals-available-locals

Apparently, you didn't even need to start the NYC Marathon this year! Although, this is a little difference since there were no Finishers, but still...thoughts?

As a born and bred new yorker with the nyc marathon in my blood, I feel that it is the right call in this terrible circumstance. Those runners deserved those medals for all they were put through by our *chooseyourexpletive* Mayor.

Mayor Bloomberg made the worst calls EVER that whole week. It took an uprising of locals, tens of thousands of people, to petition his smug self to do the right thing and cancel. He SHOULD have canceled on tuesday. New Yorkers don't want to cancel the marathon. We love it. The people who live along the course pick up tens of thousands of paper cups every single year and welcome this massive amazing race year after year. But there was no way this race should have been run, through staten island, where bodies were still being dragged out of flooded cars on friday. So sad. Awful stuff.

To me, this was not a healthy dose of perspective. This was rationalizing. I don't particularly care if it sounds mean. My nose isn't turned up at you for not being the fastest runner, but it is turned up a little at you for feeling like you're this unique, tortured soul in the marathon training universe.

Guess what: everyone who runs a marathon does everything you just listed (except perhaps the raising money. Super kudos to you for that. I've never raised that much money for anything, and very much respect anyone who does).

If you talked to everyone posting on this thread, I'm sure you'd hear a litany of injuries, and tons of descriptions of running through pain, slogging for 18+ miles through humid July and August days, vast expenditures for travel, entry fees, Gu packets, protein bars, running shoes, orthotics, doctor's office visits, and the like. You'd hear about good running days and bad runnings days; personal records and personal failures. You'd hear a lot of folks (myself included) describing being overweight and still trying to run anyway. I started distance running the first time when I weighed over 300 pounds. I have a permanently weak ankle and a bad knee. I was very slow. The first time I ran 13.1 it took me like 2:45 to do it. But I did it.

I can now run 13.1 in 1:45. I weigh 125 pounds less than I did at my heaviest. I can't tell you how much time and money went into that effort, but trust me, it was a lot. However, I also believe that, if I start a race and don't finish it, I'm not a finisher and I don't deserve to be treated like one. If that philosophy hurts someone's feelings, so be it.

I (and you and everyone else on this thread) have logged hundreds of miles in training. That isn't some sort of substitute for finishing the race. A race on any given day isn't about "the journey" (I still don't fully understand what people mean by that), it's about that race on that day. You go out, you run, and you leave it all on the road. If you finish, awesome. If you don't, that's not an indictment of you or your character. It just means you didn't finish that race on that day. Own it. Use it as bulletin board material for your next race. Just don't use it to make excuses. </Rant>

To me, this was not a healthy dose of perspective. This was rationalizing. I don't particularly care if it sounds mean. My nose isn't turned up at you for not being the fastest runner, but it is turned up a little at you for feeling like you're this unique, tortured soul in the marathon training universe.

Guess what: everyone who runs a marathon does everything you just listed (except perhaps the raising money. Super kudos to you for that. I've never raised that much money for anything, and very much respect anyone who does).

If you talked to everyone posting on this thread, I'm sure you'd hear a litany of injuries, and tons of descriptions of running through pain, slogging for 18+ miles through humid July and August days, vast expenditures for travel, entry fees, Gu packets, protein bars, running shoes, orthotics, doctor's office visits, and the like. You'd hear about good running days and bad runnings days; personal records and personal failures. You'd hear a lot of folks (myself included) describing being overweight and still trying to run anyway. I started distance running the first time when I weighed over 300 pounds. I have a permanently weak ankle and a bad knee. I was very slow. The first time I ran 13.1 it took me like 2:45 to do it. But I did it.

I can now run 13.1 in 1:45. I weigh 125 pounds less than I did at my heaviest. I can't tell you how much time and money went into that effort, but trust me, it was a lot. However, I also believe that, if I start a race and don't finish it, I'm not a finisher and I don't deserve to be treated like one. If that philosophy hurts someone's feelings, so be it.

I (and you and everyone else on this thread) have logged hundreds of miles in training. That isn't some sort of substitute for finishing the race. A race on any given day isn't about "the journey" (I still don't fully understand what people mean by that), it's about that race on that day. You go out, you run, and you leave it all on the road. If you finish, awesome. If you don't, that's not an indictment of you or your character. It just means you didn't finish that race on that day. Own it. Use it as bulletin board material for your next race. Just don't use it to make excuses. </Rant>

I have to agree. My reward for finishing is that medal. My reward for training is satisfaction. I have slogged through learning to run. I started running at 270 pounds and slogged through losing almost 70 of that. I have been injured, spend hundreds on therapies, and spent a ton on running gear, shoes, and not to mention the hundreds of dollars in travel expenses. I have fundraised over $2400 this year with my running (for Autism Speaks and NF Canada). I have run 13 races this year in preparation for marathon weekend. I have been in serious training since February.

No one owes me a medal for showing up to a race.

I owe it to myself to do my best on race day. If I cannot finish I do not want a medal. There are no consolation prizes in running a race. You either finish or you don't. It is an achievement to finish, and the medal is the reward for doing it.

But I agree with a previous poster, that it isn't my decision. That is for the RD. It's only my opinion.

The only way, the ONLY way I could accept Disney giving medals to DNF's is if they called the race on account of weather. I would be upset that I didn't get to run the race and complete it, I wouldn't wear the medal proudly :bitelip:, but I would take it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter