Race medal question....do all races give finisher medals to those who are swept?

i get that people might not want DNFers to get a medal. but this is a disney race. this isn't the boston marathon that requires some intense qualifications. and this is the WISH board. if we all truly supported everyone we'd think of our fellow WISHers who are on here, who worked damn hard for the race, and DNF. not one of you knows the amount of training and effort than anyone else did but yourselves, so how can you say that you know that a DNFer did not properly train. that's not fair.

i don't think it's fair to say that someone shouldn't get a medal just because they didn't finish. it doesn't say that someone has to finish to get a medal (though if anyone has the spare time to go wading through the rundisney material minutia to disprove me then go for it). does it really affect you if someone gets a medal? so why be so adamant against them getting it?

Whoa! First, if you think Coach is anything but supportive of everyone on WISH, then you have not been around lately. And you are also insulting to the rest of us who support all comers to this site, regardless of whether they walk,wog, or run.

And why would anyone who can read look at a race site that says "finishers medals" and expect to be given something if they didn't finish. I'm all for celebrating accomplishments--I grabbed an "I did it" button at the MK after my races, and I cheer like hell for all racers on course--but just don't expect to be given the reward for finishers just because you started the race.

And if a person doesn't want to enter, because s/he can't bear not to get a medal regardless of his/her performance, then maybe s/he should find an event where everyone gets a medal, so they'll feel okay.
Maura

I have been around plenty, and I feel confident in saying I am not the only person who has not found Coach Charles supportive of me.

Since you have personally insulted me by implying I am illiterate because I have interpreted Disney's policy in the same manner they clearly have, as they are providing medals to everyone who starts the race, I don't know what I can possibly say about your accusation that I am insulting the WISH community. Apparently I am insulting myself most of all, which is a bit ironic.

And again for the record -- this race DOES provide a medal to everyone so they can feel ok -- that is the point of my post. People have found this race and entered and received medals whether they finish or not. Disney clearly has implemented this policy. Disney races are the event you so caustically suggest someone find.

I appreciate the policy, you do not. I will simply agree to disagree, and leave it at that.

Maria :upsidedow

The rundisney site clearly states that you need to maintain a 16:00 mpm pace so you don't get swept. Granted this is a Disney race and there are lots of picture opportunities which means you have be that much faster to FINISH and get a FINISHER'S medal. I'm not doubting that people didn't put it some hard training, but there's a huge difference between being able to start a race and being capable of finishing one. I'm not the fastest runner, but I bust my butt, miss my bed, miss my kids and my family all so I can get out there and get what I deserve. I don't think you are entitled to a FINISHER'S medal unless you actually finish.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.

dumbo_buddy said:
i get that people might not want DNFers to get a medal. but this is a disney race. this isn't the boston marathon that requires some intense qualifications. and this is the WISH board. if we all truly supported everyone we'd think of our fellow WISHers who are on here, who worked damn hard for the race, and DNF. not one of you knows the amount of training and effort than anyone else did but yourselves, so how can you say that you know that a DNFer did not properly train. that's not fair.

i don't think it's fair to say that someone shouldn't get a medal just because they didn't finish. it doesn't say that someone has to finish to get a medal (though if anyone has the spare time to go wading through the rundisney material minutia to disprove me then go for it). does it really affect you if someone gets a medal? so why be so adamant against them getting it?

I would be the first person to console a fellow WISH'er and congratulate them on starting the road to a healthier lifestyle and for having the courage to want to complete a marathon, but I would also be the person to say "try again next year". If I DNF'ed I know I wouldn't take the medal because I didn't earn it by finishing the race. I'm adamant about people who don't finish receiving them because it insults the effort I put in on race day and cheapens the experience.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.

While I don't agree with "Finisher" medals being awarded to people who don't complete the course, I also can see my friend Dumbo_Buddy's point. For a lot of people it is the journey.

I would *hope* that the majority of people who try and don't finish and get a medal RESPECT what they did, and use that medal as inspiration and incentive to try harder and go back and really earn it. That means that I hope and believe to be the case is that it is a small minority who laugh about taking a medal and feel like they are scamming the system.

As for my history...I DNF'ed the Goofy Challenge in 2012 due to an injury and ended up in a van to the finish. I was handed a marathon finisher medal (and tried to refuse a couple of times, and then just decided that being rude to the volunteer was worse than taking the medal that I never displayed). I was not given my Goofy medal and they made it clear I would not. I've done the Goofy before and the marathon by itself....so it's not that I wasn't respecting the distances...I just happened to get hurt 3 weeks out from the race in a sortof freak accident.

On the other hand....I almost missed the cutoff at Ironman Canada (triathlon) this past summer. Not hurt. Did train. Just slow. I sort of lost track of time on the run and didn't realize that I was cutting it close until mile 18. I wanted an official finish, and I wanted my medal (they pretty much will not give a medal to a late finisher at Ironman). So you know what? I busted my butt and picked up the pace to EARN it. Negative split that marathon by 20 minutes because I HAD to, and finished with 4 minutes to spare...my slowest full Ironman ever.
So maybe that is what the back of the packers need to do...not bleed time, and pick it up if they have to. Unfortunately, the WDW race RDs don't make them.

Do I begrudge them their medals? No. It really doesn't affect me. I know when I earned it by my standards, which generally match the race standards. I don't need to waste my effort on strangers who don't follow the same line of thinking. (and maybe they are the same who tell the CMs their kids are 2 and not 3, or making duplicate ADRs...LOL....I just don't have to make it my business)

While I don't agree with "Finisher" medals being awarded to people who don't complete the course, I also can see my friend Dumbo_Buddy's point. For a lot of people it is the journey.

I would *hope* that the majority of people who try and don't finish and get a medal RESPECT what they did, and use that medal as inspiration and incentive to try harder and go back and really earn it. That means that I hope and believe to be the case is that it is a small minority who laugh about taking a medal and feel like they are scamming the system.

As for my history...I DNF'ed the Goofy Challenge in 2012 due to an injury and ended up in a van to the finish. I was handed a marathon finisher medal (and tried to refuse a couple of times, and then just decided that being rude to the volunteer was worse than taking the medal that I never displayed). I was not given my Goofy medal and they made it clear I would not. I've done the Goofy before and the marathon by itself....so it's not that I wasn't respecting the distances...I just happened to get hurt 3 weeks out from the race in a sortof freak accident.

On the other hand....I almost missed the cutoff at Ironman Canada (triathlon) this past summer. Not hurt. Did train. Just slow. I sort of lost track of time on the run and didn't realize that I was cutting it close until mile 18. I wanted an official finish, and I wanted my medal (they pretty much will not give a medal to a late finisher at Ironman). So you know what? I busted my butt and picked up the pace to EARN it. Negative split that marathon by 20 minutes because I HAD to, and finished with 4 minutes to spare...my slowest full Ironman ever.
So maybe that is what the back of the packers need to do...not bleed time, and pick it up if they have to. Unfortunately, the WDW race RDs don't make them.

Do I begrudge them their medals? No. It really doesn't affect me. I know when I earned it by my standards, which generally match the race standards. I don't need to waste my effort on strangers who don't follow the same line of thinking. (and maybe they are the same who tell the CMs their kids are 2 and not 3, or making duplicate ADRs...LOL....I just don't have to make it my business)

I am so glad you picked up the pace and earned that Ironman medal! :cheer2: That is what should happen and what really did happen with those around me at the Marathon this year. The sweepers were nice as could be and told us how far ahead or behind pace we were. I was two minutes from the clock being turned off...and it took everything to speed up to get across that finish line. I don't think I have ever been so tired or grumpy after a race, but I earned those medals that day and somehow didn't land in the medical tent.

I don't care if people get the medals, but they shouldn't parade them around as though they earned them when they didn't personally cross the finish line. I would rather them take the RNR philosophy and have people walk the last few feet across the finish line. Because, at least they did cross the finish line.

I get being testy about the whole issue, but I have been in those shoes and there is no way that I find the comments by others against the medals to be an attack on anyone and if you think that are being singled out, then you are mistaken. The group here is incredibly supportive and Coach got me through my first Marathon after I experienced IT band pain. If it wasn't for his recommendations, that would have been a DNF. I find the comments against him to be uncalled for.

We have all struggled at times, there is no one here that is an elite runner or someone who rolls out of bed and just runs a race because they have nothing to do. We all work hard to get to the finish line no matter what corral we are in or what pace we each run at. I would look at a DNF as inspiration to come back stronger. I look at my Goofy experience this year almost in the same way. The only reason I am going to go through that crap again is so that I can finish that weekend the way I wanted to. Most people would never subject themselves to that torture.

So I worked my butt off to keep ahead of the sweepers last night (and I'm not a person who could even run a mile continuously a year ago) and I wore my medal around the park today and apparently people may have been just saying "oh look at that, she tried that race"? I mean, not that I do it for the accolades but it does make me a bit angry that they call it a finishers medal but give them to everyone. I did make a lot of sacrifices and knew that when I was faced with setbacks in training that it might cost me the race.

I'm more proud of my journey and what I learned along the way than I am of having a medal. But if people don't think that there are affects on other runner by them entering and not training or planning to finish, they are not thinking about things like race logistics and congestion. If there are that many people signing up with the intention of not finishing that can affect corrals. And say they can make it 5 miles and are pretty fast but cant go further- anyone who entered animal kingdom last night will tell you how tight it was. And what about other runners that would like to actually experience and run the race but couldn't register because registration was sold out so quickly?

Again I'm not talking about dnf because you just couldn't make it for whatever reason. I'm talking about people who never planned to.

Rupert B Puppenstein said:
I would rather them take the RNR philosophy and have people walk the last few feet across the finish line. Because, at least they did cross the finish line.

I don't have your experience, but I would not want people bussed in front of me at the finish line.

I DNF'd my first marathon last month. Had to give it up at mile 20. Was driven to the finish. Could I have jumped into the race and crossed the finish line to get a medal? Probably. Would I have? Not a chance. I felt sad that I didn't EARN a medal, but I would not have been comfortable with a medal from a race I didn't finish. I even have trouble with wearing the shirt, though I did run 20 of the 26.2 miles.

Our local Turkey Trot gave out medals at packet pickup a few years ago. My FIL picked up our packets and asked the volunteer what that was about. Volunteer said it was "easier" for them to hand them out at pickup instead of at the end of the race.

Most of us here are not elite athletes and yes we work our butts off training for these races. But a finishers medal is just that-for finishing.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't have your experience, but I would not want people bussed in front of me at the finish line.

I agree. I am just saying that if Disney has this philosophy of giving medals to everyone, they might as well make them cross the actual finish line. I highly doubt that most DNF runners who get medals actually come back to redeem themselves. But, maybe if they experienced crossing the finish line around those that actually ran the entire distance they would feel guilty about accepting medals or feel the excitement of the finish line and want to come back to earn the medal the next time. For now, they are shielded from anyone who completes the entire course, so most runners don't even know that medals are given to those who are swept.

I agree that finisher medals should be for finishers. If a race gives out medals for "participation" then yes, everyone who started the event should get one.
As for the journey, every race I do is for the journey. I'm a slow, back of the pack-er. So for me, the preparation leading up to the race, the race itself, meeting new people and visiting new places are all part of the journey for the event. But if I don't finish, then I don't expect a medal. I could better accept someone receiving a medal for finishing after the cut-off time moreso than someone who was lagging behind pace being given a ride to a spot further ahead on the course. That to me is insulting to every other person on the course trying to finish under their own power.

I would never demean anyone who DNF'd. I've been there, on the sweeper bus with tears running down my cheeks, because I got swept. It is not a good feeling. But getting a medal anyway would not make me feel any better, because I wouldn't feel like I earned it. And even in those events where I dnf'd, after my initial disappointment subsides, I realized that I still accomplished a lot just by getting out there and participating.

Case in point: I did the very first Goofy Challenge. I probably had no business being out there. It was my very first half marathon and my very first full. I had been training, but not properly. I finished both races and got my Goofy (and Donald & Mickey) medal. After the fact, I found out I was over the marathon cut-off time by 8 minutes. My chip time was 7:08. So while I am very proud of that Goofy medal and the fact that I covered 26.2 miles, I don't consider myself a "marathon finisher" because I didn't finish in the time specified by the race.

I'ved tried 3 other times to finish a full marathon, but due to some injuries have not been able to. But I'm going to keep trying. That is part of my journey. Unfortunately, I missed the cut-off for the 2013 WDW event, so I'm setting my sights on Goofy 2014.

And I'll echo the comments about Coach Charles being very helpful on the boards. His willingess to answer questions and post tips has been a benefit to me and many others.

WISH is supposed to be a community of support and encouragement. It makes me so sad that it has apparently evolved into a group that is reserved for the "real" runners.

Maria, I don't think anyone is saying that this is a group for the "real" runners. I think what many people believe, and what I said in my original post, is that medals ought to be for finishers and not for people who laugh about getting swept and receiving the medal anyway. I've got the utmost respect for anyone of any size, shape, or speed that gets out and trains for a race, no matter the distance. It takes a lot of time and effort and dedication to prepare for a marathon. Whether you're running sub-3 or sub-6, you're still out there for months in advance putting in a lot of long hours on the road, and anyone who does that ought to be applauded for their effort. I think where we will have to agree to disagree is that I don't think you should be given a medal just for that effort and training. Respected and commended for your dedication and the good example you set for others, sure. But not patted on the back and given a medal just for showing up. I will always believe that medals are for finishers, especially when they're handed out at the finish.

I signed up for the Princess Half and I am seriously unsure that I will be able to finish in the time allotment. I will GLADLY get my finishers medal.....even if I get swept and continue to walk to the point of my 13.1.

I have been training for this race....long and hard. Perhaps I bit off more than O could chew when I signed up. But.....I am trying....training....and will be out there to share the course with all of you.....finishing this rest as best I can....within the course time limits or not.

I will chalk it up as a learning experience and do better the next time around. That is all I can hope for...and live up to.

If my best does not warrant a medal....well.....it just makes me really wonder about those I share a course with. We all have to start somewhere.

I signed up for the Princess Half and I am seriously unsure that I will be able to finish in the time allotment. I will GLADLY get my finishers medal.....even if I get swept and continue to walk to the point of my 13.1.

I have been training for this race....long and hard. Perhaps I bit off more than O could chew when I signed up. But.....I am trying....training....and will be out there to share the course with all of you.....finishing this rest as best I can....within the course time limits or not.

I will chalk it up as a learning experience and do better the next time around. That is all I can hope for...and live up to.

If my best does not warrant a medal....well.....it just makes me really wonder about those I share a course with. We all have to start somewhere.

You have plenty of time to earn that medal...the Princess isn't for a while. Accepting that you will be swept now is akin to those laughing about not putting any effort towards earning a medal. You have plenty of time to get the proper training in, pick up your pace and be fully prepared when race day comes around. If you have doubts, please join a local running group, most running stores have free ones or very affordable ones. If you have a Galloway Group in your area, go for that one. The run/walk method helped me improve 30 minutes from my first half to my second one. That was doing the 30 second intervals.

You may be saying this today, but until race day, your attitude and viewpoint may be 100% different. Training is so different than the actual race day. Don't fail with your training to prove your statement.

You have plenty of time to earn that medal...the Princess isn't for a while. Accepting that you will be swept now is akin to those laughing about not putting any effort towards earning a medal. You have plenty of time to get the proper training in, pick up your pace and be fully prepared when race day comes around. If you have doubts, please join a local running group, most running stores have free ones or very affordable ones. If you have a Galloway Group in your area, go for that one. The run/walk method helped me improve 30 minutes from my first half to my second one. That was doing the 30 second intervals.

You may be saying this today, but until race day, your attitude and viewpoint may be 100% different. Training is so different than the actual race day. Don't fail with your training to prove your statement.

I have been HUGELY diligent in my training...considering I am totally self trained. I am working on week three of c25K as well as getting in the long walks per the Galloway training program. I feared that the walking would just not do me justice and have seen my long walk pace go from a 18:50 to a 16:30.....so there is progress. I am just keeping it real.

I attempted a half when I weighed over 300 pounds. Got to mile 9 and died. And that was with an 18 minute pace.

At that race I spoke with John Bingham who told me there is no shame in getting your medal and keep on going. I rally think he has a good point....and one that I can live with. I did not keep walking that day.....but I will do it this time....one way or another! :thumbsup2

. I've got the utmost respect for anyone of any size, shape, or speed that gets out and trains for a race, no matter the distance. It takes a lot of time and effort and dedication to prepare for a marathon. Whether you're running sub-3 or sub-6, you're still out there for months in advance putting in a lot of long hours on the road, and anyone who does that ought to be applauded for their effort. I think where we will have to agree to disagree is that I don't think you should be given a medal just for that effort and training. Respected and commended for your dedication and the good example you set for others, sure. But not patted on the back and given a medal just for showing up. I will always believe that medals are for finishers, especially when they're handed out at the finish.

Hi John,

I appreciate your comments -- and your viewpoint. I will happily agree to disagree and I appreciate that you feel it is acceptable for me to have a different point of of view. There are many of us that can't "just go faster", and who are following recommended training plans religiously. Not everyone attempting a WDW race is going to be capable of finishing, particularly those of us who wandered over here from the weight loss section of WISH. I think that for the time and financial investment a race is for many of us -- I freely admit I cannot afford to do more than one a year -- that medal is a symbol of a lot more than just finishing the race, and if Disney is giving them out, I think it is fine to take it. JMHO, I'm not going to repeat myself any longer -- but thank you for your response.

Maria :upsidedow

A finisher medal is what it states, a finisher medal. Disney might as well call it a starter medal if they give one to everyone. Not everyone should be entitled to the medal if it is not earned. It is like tryouts for sports, not everyone makes a team, should we feel sorry for those that did not make the team and give them a spot? It is the same in this case. Just because you entered does not entitle you to a medal and it should not. You should only obtain that medal if you cross the finish line. I am a firm believer on this, but the society we live in today is no one loses and everyone should be rewarded. This is a horrible thing to do because it doesn't provide any motivation or determination to get better, cause you will be rewarded anyways. Yes, you may have paid like everyone; yes, you probably trained very hard, BUT entering a race, you should know that finishing the race should be the only way to obtain a FINISHER medal, not a "I tried, came up short medal". I am not here trying to put anyone down, I'm trying to put my view across and that is you finish, your rewarded; you don't, you don't get the medal, you train harder for next year and finish.

I think it's a joke to Disney races that they hand out medals to all those swept and really in my eyes, ruins the reputation of their races. You're not really earning your medal then, you're just paying for it. "Show up, start and here is your medal, thanks for your money." That should be the slogan of these races if this continues. I really hope that they change their antics and not give out medals to everyone, but only those who finish. If not, change the name of the medal to a starters medal.

I have been HUGELY diligent in my training...considering I am totally self trained. I am working on week three of c25K as well as getting in the long walks per the Galloway training program. I feared that the walking would just not do me justice and have seen my long walk pace go from a 18:50 to a 16:30.....so there is progress. I am just keeping it real.

I attempted a half when I weighed over 300 pounds. Got to mile 9 and died. And that was with an 18 minute pace.

At that race I spoke with John Bingham who told me there is no shame in getting your medal and keep on going. I rally think he has a good point....and one that I can live with. I did not keep walking that day.....but I will do it this time....one way or another! :thumbsup2

You are improving and that is great! With a few months to go, you can get closer to a 15 min. pace or better. Plus, the energy on a Disney course does seem to help a little. I don't know what distance your plan is setting your longest run/walk for, but I would suggest going a bit over the 13.1 mile distance for your longest one just based on your other experience with mile 9. John Bingham is great and he often helps the last finishers get across that line. I think most people with your attitude end up finishing their second races. You can do this! :cool1:

I am not old school and definately not fast, but I agree with the people here who believe a finishers medal should be for finishers and I've put my money where my mouth is so to speak.

People talk about Disney races being expensive and they are. That's at least one of the reasons I started out with smaller more local races. I'm not sure I'd put the money into a destination race that I didn't feel fairly confident in finishing.

For me, the first long distance race I signed up for was the Cleveland Half Marathon. I signed up way in advance and payed $35. During training for that event I did a 5K and 10K. I finished as a walked in 3:28.

After that I signed up for Columbus and started Bingham's Walk/Run plan. Finished Columbus in 3:08. It was at that point I signed up for Disneyland as my fall race the following year; and Xenia, Ohio as my spring race. I finished Xenia in 2:51:02 and Disneyland in 3:11. Disneyland was a warm day and I did everthing wrong with travel plans and packet pickup the day before. It was a rough race. I had good corral placement from my Xenia time. Probably a little bit too good. I started out too fast and bonked in mile 10.

For this year, I signed up for Cap City as my Spring Half Marathon and a repeat of Columbus for my Fall Half Marathon. I did Cap City in 2:52:30. During training for Columbus this fall I built back to to a 13 mile long run when I started developing knee issues. I ended up taking my first DNS at Columbus. Had it been a destination race I may have tried it but in hind sight, I'm glad I skipped the race. Instead of completely blowing off the race, I decided to volunteer at the race. I was working at Mile 13 directing half marathoners to the finishes and Marathoners to continue on. Since my DNS was a race morning decision, I had my race bib with me. I was even dressed for either possibility racing or volunteering. I could have easily slipped into the race walked the .1 miles to the finish and claimed a medal, to "celebrate the journey". The training was essentially done, I was on track for a big, the weather was perfect, but the body wouldn't let me do the race that day so I didn't deserve the medal.

There's no guarentees in these things.

I think the getting "swept" and then arriving at the finish line to be given a medal must be a Disney thing. I've never seen that at any other race, full or half distance. That said, I don't usually hang around the finish line after I cross, so perhaps I'm just not around to witness it.

I agree with the most of the other posters, however. If I didn't finish, I wouldn't want the medal. Every time I saw it I'd be reminded of failure.

I'm running the Disney full this year for the first time (not my first full ever, just first Disney race). I was supposed to run the Disney half back in 2010, but ended up having a badly ruptured appendix about three weeks before the race. Since I had already paid for the travel, my wife and I went to Florida anyway. I picked up my packet and wandered around the expo, sad and jealous of all of the other runners. I thought for a moment about trying to do the race anyway. (I probably could have finished, even though it would have been painful and stupid to do so.) I decided against it because running 13.1 after a major operation would have been completely irresponsible.

It never occurred to me to start the race, get picked up in a van, and then be carted to the end to pick up a medal.

This must just be a difference in perspective, but I don't see how the medal is commemorative of anything if I don't finish the race. The "journey"? I don't even understand what that means. The reward for my training and hard work is a better body. My reward for finishing the race is a medal.

Anyway, I don't mean to bag on people who think differently. Everyone is allowed to have their own philosophy on this sort of thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter