Race List(s)

cewait

DIS Veteran
For those who have never traveled to a race or those who are kind of like me and can never locate last year’s packing list (OK I am really not that way as I keep all my travel gear in a bag) This is a stab at a packing list and of things that you may want to consider. Note that not everything will be needed by all.

running shoes, extra shoe laces (just in case)*
Running clothing: socks, shorts, underwear, shirt *

throw down clothing – An old long sleeved race shirt and a set of old sweats top and bottoms is good. Note cut the long seam of the bottoms about 6-10 inched so that they can pull pulled off with shoes on. Also, not that all discarded clothing is picked up, laundered and given to the local homeless charities.
hat / visor / dew rag
gloves (throw-away)
wristband or sweat rag

wristwatch or Garmin + Charger

old tube socks that you can wear as throw-away sleeves
garbage bag to wear at starting line
fanny pack and/or bottle belt, water bottle

sunglasses

bodyglide
bandaids/nip guards

lipbalm
sunblock

Wet Ones for ports place use)

money

gels, candies

camera

cell phone

MP3 player + Charger
Tylenol
salt packets/pills
Immodium AD

small packet/tube of BioFreeze

inhaler (for asthmatics)

knee brace
* the first two line items should go in your carry on bag.

POST RACE
Check dry and warm clothing (shirt, socks and shoes)
Post race recovery drink

Pre-travel

Trim nails to assure sharp edges have time to be found.

Take a quick review of TSA requirements if you do not fly often. Remember the 3-1-1 rule for liquids. Gels are not a liquid and do not need to be pulled out, though I have been questioned once or twice. Pack gels in their own separate baggie as the 8000 feet elevation in the plane can cause the packs to seep.

Once past security, purchase a water and sip it while on the plane. Planes can be very dehydrating

Once you arrive
Expo busses run from each Disney resort including the Swan and Dolphin. You can drive if you want – expect to park in overflow parking if you do drive.

Have your ID and WAIVER (signed) in hand as you approach the expo

Bib (number pickup) is in the HP Pavilion, to the left after the ball field. Shirts and other expo stuff in the Jostens Building off to the right.

After getting your swag back to the room…

Lay out your race gear. I lay mine out just like it would be on me. Shoes then socks, shorts, shirt and hat. I place my bib on the shirt and take the 4 pins on place them in the holes of the bib. (better to do this now than to find you have no pins on race morning). I then stack my stuff back in the bag or in the corner in the reverse order of dress. So bib on the bottom, shoes (with socks in shoes), shirt and pants. That way you can dress out in low light if one of your party is not going to the race with you.

Between the expo and race
… Acclimate to the area. If you are coming from winter to the balmy FL peninsula, you will need to adjust to the humidity. Keep hydrating to the point where urine is nearly clear.

Two nights pre-race – get a great night’s sleep. You will not sleep well the night before the race. It is a combnation of nerves and the fact one is getting up at 2 AM. You will invariably have neighbors who will see the fireworks and let the resort know how good they were as they get home. You may hear the fireworks from your room. If on the bay side of CR or BLT, you will have the 10PM water parade.

I am sure there are several things I have missed, but wanted to start this list.

And don't forget to charge your Garmin/GPS device. It's amazing how many people forget to check this and wind up at the start with 20% battery life remaining.

I forgot one that I an currently doing...

When you get to your location and before race morning, turn the Garmin on and let it find satellites. Often, especially Disney, you will be able to go out on a lanai or breezeway and let it hunt. The last thing you want to do is wait to get in the corrals and turn it on at the last moment only to have it decide this is the time it want to spend 10 minutes hunting. THe further you travel, the longer the seek time.

Gels are considered a liquid by the TSA (the rule indicates liquid, aerosol or gel--basically anything that doesn't hold its shape out of its container) and are supposed to be in your 3-1-1 bag, per their rules (unless you can claim them as medical supplies, or if the TSA person isn't really paying attention or doesn't recognize them for what they are). You may have been lucky, but that is the rule for gels. (also packets of peanut butter)

Great list! You may want to pack a couple bags to contain your stinky marathon clothes in your suitcase if you're flying.
Also, if you want to do any post-race icing of knees or other body parts, pack a couple ziploc bags.

Thanks Coach!

I also bring breakfast from home. My brother and I run the races together, so at home I pack a quart-sized Ziploc bag with - for each of us - a granola bar to eat first thing on the bus to the starting area, a plain bagel, peanut butter (disposable Jif-to-go containers) and disposable knives. I also bring disposable coffee cups and make coffee in the room the morning of. I take that and a bottle of water with me...once we get to the staging area we hang out and eat the bagels on the walk to the corrals.

One other thing I have to bring with me to the expo is the authorization form to pick up my brother's packet (signed by him - so this form, his signed waiver and a copy of his ID) as well as proof-of-time in case I need to change his or my corrals. :)

Glad you brought up sunscreen...there was a point during the race last year when people were saying they felt like they were getting fried by the sun and asking other runners if we had any on us. I don't think the med tents have it (anyone know this?)...so make sure to get a good sweat-proof sunscreen and lather it on in the morning.

Lots to think about! :faint:

Gels are considered a liquid by the TSA (the rule indicates liquid, aerosol or gel--basically anything that doesn't hold its shape out of its container) and are supposed to be in your 3-1-1 bag, per their rules (unless you can claim them as medical supplies, or if the TSA person isn't really paying attention or doesn't recognize them for what they are). You may have been lucky, but that is the rule for gels. (also packets of peanut butter)

Agreed with what the rule says. I do keep them on top so that if they need pulled I can just pull them out. But to date, they just pass.

I have actually had my heart rate strap and computer power cord questioned more than small liquids/gels. As I look at my backpack in the corner I know that the eye drops should be pulled and put into the bag, but in the 30 or so trips through the TSA line this year, no one has asked.

Great list!

For those that use The Stick, if you're wanting to bring it with you, the safest place to put it is in a checked bag. Like gels, some screeners let them pass (with varying degrees of questioning) while others confiscate them. Even within the same airport - and MCO is notoriously picky - and inconsistent - when you're flying out. I've had friends be able to fly with them no problem and others flying the same day who got a different screener who had them confiscated.

Even the guys at the company say the safest bet is to check it if you must travel with it because of the inconsistency among and within airports.

Don't forget your RoadID or similar item you wear for ID on your run. Also make sure to fill out the info on the back of your bib before pinning it on.

Better safe than sorry!

Don't forget your RoadID or similar item you wear for ID on your run. Also make sure to fill out the info on the back of your bib before pinning it on.

Better safe than sorry!

Yep!

Though I admit I mainly put "See Road ID" for most of the info. :) (I will put my parents' and/or sister's cell number ON the bib, but everything else is on the Road ID.)

And don't forget to charge your Garmin/GPS device. It's amazing how many people forget to check this and wind up at the start with 20% battery life remaining.

In addition to charging your Garmin, I suggest deleting the history as well. I upload my daily info into my training log and onto the Garmin Training Center about once a month and delete my history. If your history gets full, it will not record any info.

Thanks for the great list! This is only my 2nd 1/2, and the first one I did was local, so these are very helpful tips. I really like the throw down clothing idea, especially if they are donated to a homeless shelter.

Can't wait!:)

I'll add one: tissues. I know I do not want to stop at a Port-a-Potty without some backup!

About Sunscreen: I usually pick up a new tube in the sample isle at the grocery and toss that into my 3-1-1 pack. Most of the time they have the Sport style available in the samples isle and I like to make sure I'm using a product that I know is recent, rather then a giant tube that I don't even remember when I bought it was :) Even on my regular trips to Florida, I keep a new tube in my camera case all the time!

I heard someone this year state that they forgot their laptop charger. The kicker was that they had only brought the USB cable to charge their watch and not the wall adapter! So maybe people might want to bring the actual wall charger and not just the USB cable itself! :)

About Sunscreen: I usually pick up a new tube in the sample isle at the grocery and toss that into my 3-1-1 pack. Most of the time they have the Sport style available in the samples isle and I like to make sure I'm using a product that I know is recent, rather then a giant tube that I don't even remember when I bought it was :) Even on my regular trips to Florida, I keep a new tube in my camera case all the time!

I heard someone this year state that they forgot their laptop charger. The kicker was that they had only brought the USB cable to charge their watch and not the wall adapter! So maybe people might want to bring the actual wall charger and not just the USB cable itself! :)

Actually, I can almost guarantee that the front desk will have a plug in USB and other style chargers. I have donated a few in my travels and likewise borrowed a few. It's better to have your own. I also travel with a travel surge protector like this http://www.belkin.com/us/BST300-Belkin/p/P-BST300

It allows for computers, camera, usb cords to use one plug rather than hunting around the room for all locations or worse, unplugging a light so that you have enough power.

I actually purchase a travel size sunscreen, also. I usually do not repack it for the trip home, thinking that by the time I need it again, it will be rather old. I used to rely on Disney to have the sunscreen, but one year the style I wanted was not on property.

Did I miss duct tape for the tops of shoes? Is that just for cold weather or is it good for rainy weather, too?

Did I miss duct tape for the tops of shoes? Is that just for cold weather or is it good for rainy weather, too?

In my book a cold weather tool, not much a wet weather tool. Most running shoes are so well ventilated that you would need lots of tape and still find leaks. It would be better to over lube the feet and avoid running in puddles. Though, if raining significantly pre-race, it may slow down some of the rain from above. In either case, the tape should be pulled off as the race starts to keep the feet from overheating and creating their own source of internal puddles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter