• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

RAC - Do I need DME

SalandJeff

Disney Addict x 3
We are flying Southwest. On arrival at MCO, we are renting a car and going to Universal for a couple of days. We then head over to AKL for the rest of the week. If I understand this correctly, we can use RAC at AKL to get our boarding passes and get our bags to the airport. We will hang out for the rest of the day and then drive rental car back to airport.
Do I have this right? And do we need to sign up for DME in order to do this?

Yes have it right but you do not have to sign up for DME. DME and RAC are two different companies. DME is a bus company and strictly provides bus service only from/to the airport. RAC only provides airline check in service and bag handling. You only sign up for DME if you need to ride the bus.
We always use RAC and then drive to the airport.
Just make sure to check your bags with RAC no later than 3 hrs before your flight and RAC closes at 1:00 p.m.

We are flying Southwest. On arrival at MCO, we are renting a car and going to Universal for a couple of days. We then head over to AKL for the rest of the week. If I understand this correctly, we can use RAC at AKL to get our boarding passes and get our bags to the airport. We will hang out for the rest of the day and then drive rental car back to airport.
Do I have this right? And do we need to sign up for DME in order to do this?

Yes have it right but you do not have to sign up for DME. DME and RAC are two different companies. DME is a bus company and strictly provides bus service only from/to the airport. RAC only provides airline check in service and bag handling. You only sign up for DME if you need to ride the bus.
We always use RAC and then drive to the airport.
Just make sure to check your bags with RAC no later than 3 hrs before your flight and RAC closes at 1:00 p.m.

I agree, I've done RAC with a rental car, no issues. Nice to not have to deal with checked luggage when returning the car.

Thanks. I am so glad we can do this. Can't believe I never knew this before :confused3
Oh, don't worry....you're not the only one who didn't know this!!d It's amazing how many people think you have to have DME booked in order to use RAC!! I have had some pretty heated discussions with people.
There was one time, while at a resort, that I overheard someone talking about using RAC. They were with a group that was going to be heading home soon...at least that was the gist of the conversation I overheard. They were discussing that it was awful that only some people got to use RAC while others had to lug their bags back to the airport. And how awful it was that Disney set it up this way!!!! I apologized for sticking my nose into their business, but wanted to let them know that they were most likely able to use RAC. They looked at me, as if I had three heads, and said no, they had a rental car. I asked what airline they were leaving on....American. Okay, then you are able to use RAC. No, I'm not sure where you got your info lady, but you have to ride the stupid magical bus back to MCO to use RAC. Geez.....I, calmly, said, that no, that wasn't true. That as long as you were flying on a participating airline, and they were, they could use RAC..that it didn't matter one little bit how they were getting back to the airport. They just rolled their eyes, telling me that was nice, but oh so wrong. I told them that I had done exactly that thing, several times. Their snappy comeback? 'Well lady, looks like you got very lucky then!!!' and then turned and walked away. Amazing. I now keep my mouth closed....no good deed goes unpunished it would seem.

I'm so sorry...whats RAC? My parents want to stay at Pop for a night and rent a car to see my great aunt. No one's giving a straight answer how to get to rent a car. I thought there was the Disney transportation station but not sure? They want to use Avis...any advise?

I'm so sorry...whats RAC? My parents want to stay at Pop for a night and rent a car to see my great aunt. No one's giving a straight answer how to get to rent a car. I thought there was the Disney transportation station but not sure? They want to use Avis...any advise?

Resort Airline Checkin, where you check your bags at your resort rather than at the airport.

Easiest rental would be with Alamo or National at the Car Care Center. Google that along with disneyworld and you should get to the page about it on WDW.com. That will give you their hours and phone number. make that rental arrangement online, choosing that location for pickup and dropoff. At least an hour before your rental time starts, call them and ask for a ride to CCC. They come get you on Disney property and take you there. when you return the car they will take you where you want to go on property.

(Pickup and dropoff at MK is actually at the TTC near the Lost and Found building)

And apparently I didn't realize you could JUST do RAC. I wasted my time yesterday and this morning making sure I had DME arranged when I didn't need to. Sigh.

So I literally could have walked up to the desk and handed bags over this morning, without pre-arranging it?

And apparently I didn't realize you could JUST do RAC. I wasted my time yesterday and this morning making sure I had DME arranged when I didn't need to. Sigh.

So I literally could have walked up to the desk and handed bags over this morning, without pre-arranging it?

Yep you could have just walked up and used RAC. You need your airline confirmation number or board pass as well as your drivers license.
Anyone staying at a Disney resort no matter how you plan to get back to the airport, be it the DME, rental car, or friend driving you to the airport can all use RAC. The only stipulation is that you have to be staying at a Disney resort with your name on the room reservation to use RAC.

Last edited:

Yup. You can arrive, and depart, WDW via the DME bus, a cab, car service, rental car, or yak....doesn't matter. You can use RAC if you are a WDW owned resort guest, and flying a 'participating' airline.

We could do away with the SWA sticky and make room for a RAC since as most don't ask SWA questions there anymore.

First line in the RAC FAQ: you don't have to be sneaky about it. :) 'cuz that's what I thought you had to do.

Can't believe I missed the reality of it. Didn't check the sticky because the title made me think it was about airlines, not about how to do it, and I thought I knew how to do it, so....

Never even noticed the SW sticky! And I notice stickies in general. (just don't always read 'em)

I have changed the title of the DME/RAC thread. Tomorrow I will try to neaten it up. Everything you need to know about RAC is there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter