Quick Service Plan or OOP - Any Insights?

donnot

Earning My Ears
I am on my way to POR AB on Saturday night with my 4 kids, 2 age 10 and 2 age 14, so they are all Disney adults. I have been going back and forth over the last two weeks as to whether I should get the Quick Service Dining Plan or not (we signed up too late to get the regular plan and I would not be able to get reservations at the TS restaurants I want, plus the cost would be $1,800.00 for the 5 of us, not worth it IMO). The last 2 times we went to Disney we had free dining on the the regular DDP, so I am familiar with how it works.

The specifics - we arrive after midnight on Sat. night, so that would be a night we'd have to purchase and leave Friday around 2:30 p.m. If I get the QSDP it would be 6 nights, or 12 meals and 6 snacks. The cost is just under $1,200.00, or $200.00 per day for food. I was actually able to score reservations for 3 TS restaurants where we want to eat (Via Napoli for lunch on Monday, 50's Prime Time Cafe for lunch on Tues. and Tusker House breakfast on Thurs. [not until 9:45 am, but we had to take what we could get]) and I have promised my kids I'll keep these whether we do the QSDP or not, so there are three meals I am paying OOP for regardless.

I don't know about you, but my kids want to eat three meals a day, not 2. The problem is, they eat so differently. One of my 14 year olds is a fat-conscious vegetarian; the other is a 6 ft. eating machine who would eat steak at every meal if I let him and eats me out of house and home; one of my 10 year olds is picky in the extreme and I have resigned myself to the fact that his diet at WDW, despite my best efforts, will probably consist mostly of french fries [please don't comment - I know how bad this is; he doesn't even like the kid's pizza at WDW)]. The one thing he will eat is breakfast, where I can get him to choke down some fruit sometimes; he loves the mickey waffles and will eat most other breakfast items. My daughter (the other 10 year old) will try anything once and is the easiest to please in terms of restaurant choice.

I am going to Magic Kingdom on Sunday, our first day. We could use 3 of our 12 meals on this date as I have no reservations and I was going to try to get into Be Our Guest for lunch (if it's too crowded I will go elsewhere). We could use 2 on Monday (Epcot), 2 on Tuesday (DHS), 3 on Wed (water park) and 2 on Thurs (AK), with any unused during the week for breakfast and/or lunch on Fri. before we head to the airport. I have no doubt we'll use all the snacks (probably by day 3) What worries me is that we will be so Quick-serviced out that we won't use all the meals, or we won't eat that much and I would have saved some money by paying out of pocket (sure to be the case with Mr. Picky, but the opposite with Mr. Eating Machine).

The other issue is the choices. The Food Court at POR is decent with the pasta and salad station, and I like Wolfgang Puck Express at DTD, but other than those (and BOG if we get in), most of the QS restaurants in Disney feel like fried fast food to me. On the other hand, I estimated $45.00 per person for food each day (with a little less at breakfast, and a little more at dinner) would be my OOP, but I started to add up the a-la-carte prices, and it looks like it will be more than that if we eat on property. I will have a car and at first I fantasized that I would drive off Disney property to eat dinner at night at some fabulous but cheap restaurants, but then reality set in - I will be traveling alone with my 4 kids (hubby hates Disney :( refuses to come along), so who am I kidding - I will be going for convenience and will not want to be driving around looking for places to eat.

So, has anyone eaten OOP on property with 5 Disney adults (but several who are not actually adults) for about 6 days and added up the prices? How much did it cost per person per day? Is my $45.00 per person per day estimate way out of whack? If you ate at a Disney food court OOP for breakfast, how much did it cost per person? For lunch? For dinner?

Thanks to anyone who can provide some insights and experience and sorry for the long post.

Deb

I am on my way to POR AB on Saturday night with my 4 kids, 2 age 10 and 2 age 14, so they are all Disney adults. I have been going back and forth over the last two weeks as to whether I should get the Quick Service Dining Plan or not (we signed up too late to get the regular plan and I would not be able to get reservations at the TS restaurants I want, plus the cost would be $1,800.00 for the 5 of us, not worth it IMO). The last 2 times we went to Disney we had free dining on the the regular DDP, so I am familiar with how it works.

The specifics - we arrive after midnight on Sat. night, so that would be a night we'd have to purchase and leave Friday around 2:30 p.m. If I get the QSDP it would be 6 nights, or 12 meals and 6 snacks. The cost is just under $1,200.00, or $200.00 per day for food. I was actually able to score reservations for 3 TS restaurants where we want to eat (Via Napoli for lunch on Monday, 50's Prime Time Cafe for lunch on Tues. and Tusker House breakfast on Thurs. [not until 9:45 am, but we had to take what we could get]) and I have promised my kids I'll keep these whether we do the QSDP or not, so there are three meals I am paying OOP for regardless.

I don't know about you, but my kids want to eat three meals a day, not 2. The problem is, they eat so differently. One of my 14 year olds is a fat-conscious vegetarian; the other is a 6 ft. eating machine who would eat steak at every meal if I let him and eats me out of house and home; one of my 10 year olds is picky in the extreme and I have resigned myself to the fact that his diet at WDW, despite my best efforts, will probably consist mostly of french fries [please don't comment - I know how bad this is; he doesn't even like the kid's pizza at WDW)]. The one thing he will eat is breakfast, where I can get him to choke down some fruit sometimes; he loves the mickey waffles and will eat most other breakfast items. My daughter (the other 10 year old) will try anything once and is the easiest to please in terms of restaurant choice.

I am going to Magic Kingdom on Sunday, our first day. We could use 3 of our 12 meals on this date as I have no reservations and I was going to try to get into Be Our Guest for lunch (if it's too crowded I will go elsewhere). We could use 2 on Monday (Epcot), 2 on Tuesday (DHS), 3 on Wed (water park) and 2 on Thurs (AK), with any unused during the week for breakfast and/or lunch on Fri. before we head to the airport. I have no doubt we'll use all the snacks (probably by day 3) What worries me is that we will be so Quick-serviced out that we won't use all the meals, or we won't eat that much and I would have saved some money by paying out of pocket (sure to be the case with Mr. Picky, but the opposite with Mr. Eating Machine).

The other issue is the choices. The Food Court at POR is decent with the pasta and salad station, and I like Wolfgang Puck Express at DTD, but other than those (and BOG if we get in), most of the QS restaurants in Disney feel like fried fast food to me. On the other hand, I estimated $45.00 per person for food each day (with a little less at breakfast, and a little more at dinner) would be my OOP, but I started to add up the a-la-carte prices, and it looks like it will be more than that if we eat on property. I will have a car and at first I fantasized that I would drive off Disney property to eat dinner at night at some fabulous but cheap restaurants, but then reality set in - I will be traveling alone with my 4 kids (hubby hates Disney :( refuses to come along), so who am I kidding - I will be going for convenience and will not want to be driving around looking for places to eat.

So, has anyone eaten OOP on property with 5 Disney adults (but several who are not actually adults) for about 6 days and added up the prices? How much did it cost per person per day? Is my $45.00 per person per day estimate way out of whack? If you ate at a Disney food court OOP for breakfast, how much did it cost per person? For lunch? For dinner?

Thanks to anyone who can provide some insights and experience and sorry for the long post.

Deb

I'm pretty sure the DDP must be added 72 hours before checkin, so unless you already have in in your package, your decision may be made for you.

I'm pretty sure the DDP must be added 72 hours before checkin, so unless you already have in in your package, your decision may be made for you.

LOL, I thought you could make it at any time, even at check-in. Maybe someone is trying to tell me something!

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think it would work for you anyway. You need to almost go out of your way to eat at the most expensive cs places and/or everyone has to order a drink and dessert at each meal. Using credits at breakfast is always a waste of credits from a monetery standpoint because you dont get the dessert entitlement. I am heavily researching the QSDP for my party of 5 adults and just because DD and I drink water, it probably is not going to work for us.

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think it would work for you anyway. You need to almost go out of your way to eat at the most expensive cs places and/or everyone has to order a drink and dessert at each meal. Using credits at breakfast is always a waste of credits from a monetery standpoint because you dont get the dessert entitlement. I am heavily researching the QSDP for my party of 5 adults and just because DD and I drink water, it probably is not going to work for us.

Thanks - it does make me feel better, actually. It's like in my mind I know OOP is the best solution, but I don't want to "miss out" on anything I should be doing. Not sure if that makes any sense, but I actually feel better that the decision has been made as now I don't have to worry about it any more. Have a good trip!

If it makes you feel better, you rarely come ahead with the QS plan. Most people brake even. enjoy your stay at POR. It's our favorite resort. We love all the green space and al the pools

I'm with the other posters, I have only done the DDP when it was offered free and I added it. Great value then! :cool1: otherwise, probably not worth it forus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter