• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Quick review of POFQ

DisneyHardin

DIS Veteran
We just got back from a 5 day stay at POFQ and I have to say it was fantastic.

Our room was a ground floor room in building 4 we were toward the end of the building near the "rose garden" smoking area. The location was perfect - close the main building and super close to the bus stops.

We were a party of 3 adults and the room was plenty comfortable. Having the 2 sinks was very helpful for getting ready in the morning. Also, the curtain to close them off from the room was great while I was getting ready and needed the light on, but my mother was still sleeping. The room was very clean and Mousekeeping did a fantastic job (we got 3 different towel animals). The beds and pillows were comfortable.

The only real "complaints" were that these weird worm like bugs kept getting in the room and the display on the in room alarm clock was too bright - it was almost bliding when you had all the rest of the lights in the room off.

We went to the pool/hot tub one afternoon and it was nice and clean. There was a CM at the pool doing games with the kids. My 27 year old sister went down the slide and loved it.

The bus service was phenomenal. We never waited more than 5 or so minutes for a bus coming or going to the parks. We took the boat from DTD and that was a nice ride.

I got a refillable mug, so I went to the food court quite a bit to fill it and everything in there was always clean. I got some Mickey waffles one morning for breakfast to take back to the room and they were great. One evening I was refilling my mug and people were eating a fantastic looking fried chicken dinner, but I didn't try it - it just looked great.

Anyone with questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks for your positive review! I'm a little weired out by this though:

The only real "complaints" were that these weird worm like bugs kept getting in the room

Were they just by the door, like they got in under it, or where they everywhere?
:scared1:

reconsidering my ground floor request...?

I am pretty sure they were coming in under the door, although they weren't only by the door. We didn't have a ton of them, but in a 5 day stay we had probably 7 or so in the room.

We are staying at FQ next Sept for the first time...:thumbsup2
I was just wondering how the buses were? Did you have to share with POR all the time? How noisy was the rooms near the pools? My mom is worried about hearing everything since the resort is so much smaller than others.
Thanks for your input!

Glad you enjoyed your stay at POFQ! Thanks for the review.. POFQ is on our list to return to--especially since the refurb.

Of at least 15 bus rides, we only shared with Riverside 2 times and one of those was a bus driver in training and I think the trainer just wanted him to know the route with sharing and without.

Our room was on the opposite side of the building from the pool, so we didn't hear any noise.

weird worm like bugs - are they silver fish ?
Did you report the bugs to the front desk ?
What room # did you have ?

Silverfish are nocturnal, elongated and flattened insects typically 13–25 millimetres (0.51–0.98 in) long. Their abdomen tapers at the end, giving them a fish-like appearance. The newly hatched are whitish, but develop a greyish hue and metallic shine as they get older.

Silverfish consume matter that contains polysaccharides, such as starches and dextrin in adhesives. These include glue, book bindings, plaster, some paints, paper, photos, sugar, coffee, hair, carpet, clothing and dandruff. Silverfish can also cause damage to tapestries. Other substances that may be eaten include cotton, linen, silk, synthetic fibres and dead insects or even its own exuvia (moulted exoskeleton).

http://www.google.com/search?q=silv...&ei=EIeTTpq0JcXv0gHZ-uHjBw&sqi=2&ved=0CEQQsAQ

They weren't silver fish. They looked like worms, but had a harder shell and could climb up the wall. I didn't worry too much about them because they were everywhere outside and I just figured they were coming in under the door, so I didn't report them to the desk. We were in room 4109.

I love POFQ also. I was talking to DH yesterday about our next trip December 2012, POFQ, and was mentioning that I want to ask for a third floor corner room again. Your post about those worm like bugs has solidified my request!!

Glad to hear you had such a wonderful time there.

since you said they were everywhere outside were they perhaps lovebugs....

Were thery the love bugs that everyone talks about on the Dis board ? I have no idea, but have read several posts about people seeing alot of love bugs.I dont even know what love bugs are :rotfl: Maybe someone else knows ?

I'm pretty sure they weren't love bugs because they looked like worms. I wish I had taken a picture. Maybe someone who is a local will come along and know better what they were.

We just got back from an 8 night stay at POFQ and loved it as well!! We were in building 4 too, but on the other side from the OP, facing the courtyard that is right near the bus route. We were 2 families of 4 in rooms 4209 and 4210. We LOVED the resort. We had stayed at POR last trip (bumped from POFQ due to overbooking) and really enjoyed POR, but this trip I wanted to try the new rooms and finally get in at POFQ. We were not disappointed. I agree with the OP that it was a great location-- quiet, close to the buses & food court, and not far at all from the pool. Even with being prepared, I was more pleasantly surprised than expected. We will definitely return. We only shared a bus once with Riverside one night on the way home from Epcot, I believe.

We just flew in yesterday from a 16 day stay at POFQ and as always, it didn't fail to impress. I cried all the way to the airport on the Magical Express :rotfl: ... yes folks, ALL the way. Actually I started at the check out desk and had the CM's offering me boxes of Kleenex :rotfl2:

We had a great room, Mousekeeping was excellent and our room was immaculate, love the boat to DTD, pool is so much fun, food court was great and the CM's there as friendly and helpful as ever, hardly ever waited for a bus to or from the resort and only twice did we wait more than 5 minutes (once was at around 1 am at DTD so that was fair enough).

I am wondering if any of you who were there over the last two and a half weeks were amongst the many people I chatted to (I love meeting people).

We are so going back next year!! :yay:

We just got back from an 8 night stay at POFQ and loved it as well!! We were in building 4 too, but on the other side from the OP, facing the courtyard that is right near the bus route. We were 2 families of 4 in rooms 4209 and 4210. We LOVED the resort. We had stayed at POR last trip (bumped from POFQ due to overbooking) and really enjoyed POR, but this trip I wanted to try the new rooms and finally get in at POFQ. We were not disappointed. I agree with the OP that it was a great location-- quiet, close to the buses & food court, and not far at all from the pool. Even with being prepared, I was more pleasantly surprised than expected. We will definitely return. We only shared a bus once with Riverside one night on the way home from Epcot, I believe.

You were our upstairs neighbor - we were in 4109!!!!

I love reading all these positive reviews!!! We're staying at French Quarter for the first time May 29-June 7 and I'm sooooo excited!!! I have requested Building 4 and I hope we get it. :thumbsup2
We stayed at Riverside this past May/June for the first time and while we loved the grounds and the resort is beautiful it was a really long walk to everything. The 96 degree temperatures didn't help matters. I'm glad we didn't buy the refillable mugs because love nor money would not have gotten anyone to go fill them!!! :rotfl:

Carla

French Quarter is a marvelous resort with gorgeous scenery, compact size and newly refurbished rooms with queen sized beds :love:

:scared1: I would have asked for another room away from any and all bugs.
I hate bugs and creepy crawling things.:eek:

I would have asked the front desk for bug spray to spray the door, the door sash, and the wall around the door.

Maybe we will add "upper floor room please" to our reservation.

:confused3Are there less bugs on the upper floors ?:confused3

We go to WDW in late June to early July of next year, if that makes a difference with bugs.

I dont want the bugs either....have nightmares about it now. We did request a "upper corner room" but who knows with that.

We have never had a problem with bugs in the rooms at Disney. I think they have a pretty good pest control system going, considering it is Florida - bug heaven :rotfl:

You see them outside though, but even then, nowhere near as many as I would have expected. We also found there were far fewer love bugs about this year. Perhaps we were too early? (We were there a week later last year).

I wouldn't worry about bugs. Don't let it spoil your countdown to your trip. And if you do have a problem the front desk will be quick to address the issue for you :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter