Quick report Sept Trip

bridget8822

Mouseketeer
Well we are home from our quick trip to Royal Pacific resort. As some of you know my husband will be going into open heart surgery very soon, which we found out about a week before our trip....but we decided to go and make the best of it. I almost didn't want to post this review because its kind of negative (Okay lots) but as someone who researched a lot before my trip I would have appreciated any and all info.

We checked in around 8pm and I didn't feel anything special about our arrival. The woman who checked us in seemed annoyed we were disturbing her. My request (which I made over the phone) to be close to elevators and pool area was granted. We wanted to limit husband's walking as best as we could. No Hawaiian leis were given (altho we saw other people wearing them). Room was in Tower 3 and was not one of the renovated ones. Actually the sink was cracked down the middle. I didn't mention it to staff. The beds were super uncomfortable!!

Food was wayyyyyyy overpriced and not impressive. Best meal was Pizzeria UNO on International Drive and we could have stayed in CT for that. Parking $27 a night?? You really get nicked and dimed there.

We took our time at the parks. He got tired very easy so we'd do about 3 or 4 rides (express pass was a wonderful plus) and head back to the pool which was lovely. Honestly, I wasn't impressed at all with either park. I felt like each ride was, "Here's your 3D glasses!" and then we got shimmied around a bit. I liked ET tho!

Maybe I'm what they call a "Disney Snob" but I wouldn't go back. Nothing reached the level of service given by Disney resorts (or even came close). From simple things like smiles from hotel staff to light bulbs being out on the signs at City Walk, WDW excels at this and Universal falls way short.

Just my opinion.........don't yell at me :)

(Also we find out what date husband's surgery is tomorrow so thank you for any kind words I received while planning and keep him in your prayers.)

I'm so sorry that you were disappointed in your trip. I wonder whether the stressful situation surrounding the trip influenced your impressions. I bet a trip to Disney, where everything is comfortable and familiar to you, would have felt more like "home," versus trying to navigate a new park and new environment when you're already worried and stressed.

I hope you'll give Universal another chance once you've come out on the other side of your hubby's surgery and recovery. :-)

Wow Ive not been to Disney but everything about Universal made me question what the fuss is over at Disney. All the staff bar maybe one or 2 were a delight at RPR and could not do enough for us. The Universal parks were just as great, staff were very friendly, looked like they were having fun, waving as we completed each ride. The music in the parks and the theming made me feel I was wrapped in the "Universal Bubble" and never wanted to leave

My other half and his son went to Disney in 2013 and they both said Universal was more genuine but hey ho I guess different things suit each of us

Sorry to hear about the sour faces, room condition, and costs you won't expecting. Hope your DH has successful surgery and gets better fast. Well wishes sent to him. I'm sure you were stressed, so that may have not helped in really enjoying what the resort and parks can offer.

Since Universal does not own the hotels, most hotels charge for parking. Most like it, as the cost of parking is not allocated to all that use or don't use it, like Disney does. For me, I just add the parking fee to my room rate to determine my room cost, as I like to have a car.

I hope you do give Universal another try. Maybe check out the other hotels, the Hard Rock is nice, and the Portofino has large rooms and is also very nice. Oh, and for the record, I've been at the Royal Pacific more than several times, and never got a lei. So, don't feel bad.

Thank you for your review though. It's always nice to read someone's thoughts about their trip. Trip Reports are some of my favorite to read.

I hope your husband's surgery went well and he fully in recovery mode right now!
Thanks for your report. Sorry you didn't enjoy the trip much.

I hope your DH's surgery went well and pray for a fast healing! I am sorry your trip wasn't great, but like Gina said.. finding out about the needed surgery right before hand and worrying about his comfort probably didn't help things. Disney probably would have felt more comfortable for you both! Perhaps you could try again another time after your DH is fully healed and feeling better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter