Quick Quick! Have you had a thyroid biopsy? Advice!

Hisgirl

DIS Veteran
Twenty years ago I had a thryoid biopsy.

It hurt LIKE ALL GET OUT!!!

They came back and said, "It's inconclusive so we need to do it again."

I said,"no way in hades are you doing that again without giving me a pain killer!!"

So they gave me something and someone drove my 'drunken' self home.

Here today....20 years later, a nodule has grown and I'm scheduled for a 2;30 biopsy. I expressed concern and asked about a pain killer and they called in a xanax. A xanax? I'm not nervous or anxious, I just don't want to feel the pain!

I have someone who can drive me home, but....has it changed since 20 years ago? Did you use a pain killer? If you didn't, did they inject lidacaine or spray it on? How was it?

The reason I ask is because I don't know the half life of a xanax and I'm going to disney world in the morning. I don't take meds for anything. I don't want to feel weird.

Advice please! Should I take a xanax, or just request a topical???

I had it done and they only numbed me with ice. It was uncomfortable but manageable. They told me to take an aspirin when I got home if I was in pain.

Had it done again last year because my thyroid cancer came back.

It does hurt but Its bearable. I would take some Tylenol before, no ibuprofen!

i was sore the next day but I had 5 needles due to the lymph nodes they were going to check.

Just rest and take more Tylenol if needed and you should be fine.

Enjoy your Disney trip!

Hmmm... I had one done before they ended up removing mine but I honestly don’t even remember it. Maybe they numbed me? That was 6 years ago.

I had two thyroid nodules biopsied in May. Whatever they used to numb the area worked. All I felt was a little pressure. Nodules were both benign.

Have you taken xanax before? I'd be hesitant to try a new medication that can be so potent, especially the day before my trip. I'd take tylenol and request a topical and just deal with any discomfort during the procedure. Good luck!

I had a biopsy 6 years ago and it was so painful I started crying. If I would have known I would have taken 2mg of Ativan an hour before the procedure and had my mom take me. I was not prepared at all. My first round of thyroid cancer was in 1996 diagnosed with papillary cancer. I relapsed on 2012 with the same cancer with another surgery. Best of luck to you.

I had thyroid cancer also, but due to the location of my nodule (back side of gland), the surgeon didn't even want to biopsy it, so I had a surgical biopsy.

But, I've known many people who have had them and, honestly, a lot has to do with the skill of the doctor doing it as well as your own sensitivity. Most people have been okay with them. My friend had 5 different spots done and she said it was uncomfortable but not awful.

If I were you, I'd take the Xanax (not a pain killer obviously) just to settle you down. Xanax is pretty fast in and out of you so you'll only be 'loopy' for about 6 hours and you'll be fine the next day. What was the dosage (mg)?

So here's what happened. I did take the xanax but on .25 (just one). I had a friend with me and she drove me home. I felt very relaxed and tired and the biopsy, 4 - 20 second sticks in one nodule, did hurt but it was tolerable...much better than it was 20 years ago. I'll hear in 14 days.

So here's what happened. I did take the xanax but on .25 (just one). I had a friend with me and she drove me home. I felt very relaxed and tired and the biopsy, 4 - 20 second sticks in one nodule, did hurt but it was tolerable...much better than it was 20 years ago. I'll hear in 14 days.

Hope all goes well. I've had nodules on my thyroid since I was about 22, the last biopsy I had I think I was 27 or 28...? It did hurt but not unbearable. It was gross though (Just the idea of pulling a chunk out through a tube, eww). Now i just get a sono every couple of years to keep an eye on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter