Quick question re: MBs/resort guests

mchelle77

DIS Veteran
Last time we went, we were part of the MB testing, so they still gave us a card for a room key just in case. Will they still do this if I asked?

Yes they will. Depending on the CM they might balk at first, but they will give it up if you persist.

PP is correct, but out of curiosity, what for? The issues with MBs not opening doors has been resolved if that's your concern - it was a big problem during testing.

Because when I called to book through Disney, I told her that my daughter, husband and I were staying, but I only needed park tickets for my daughter and me, that my husband will be off looking at properties in the area and won't be doing parks with us. She said that she didn't need to put him on if he didn't need park tickets. But he WILL need a key to get into the resort room, so I'd need him to have something to get in if he gets back before us. Putting him on the rez automatically counted a park pass for him.

Because when I called to book through Disney, I told her that my daughter, husband and I were staying, but I only needed park tickets for my daughter and me, that my husband will be off looking at properties in the area and won't be doing parks with us. She said that she didn't need to put him on if he didn't need park tickets. But he WILL need a key to get into the resort room, so I'd need him to have something to get in if he gets back before us. Putting him on the rez automatically counted a park pass for him.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but they may even be able to give him a grey MB at check-in since they're also used for room charging as well (they want everyone to have easy access to that ;)) Otherwise, I'm sure they would be able to issue a key card for him.

So I'm bumping this to get updated information .... I first posted this regarding our last visit in May, point was moot because we switched to the Beach Club Resort, where he was required to be on the package for pool usage (we ended up getting him a one day Epcot ticket to join us, so all was well)

This upcoming trip we're at Coronado Springs and, again, he will be working days and staying with us nights. He has his MB from last time - when we check in, can I ask them to activate it for charging and room access?

This upcoming trip we're at Coronado Springs and, again, he will be working days and staying with us nights. He has his MB from last time - when we check in, can I ask them to activate it for charging and room access?

Is he on the reservation? If so, he can activate his MB right in MDE (if it isn't active already). If he's not on the reservation because you have a package or something like that booked, you can add him at check-in and then they will activate his MB.

Is he on the reservation? If so, he can activate his MB right in MDE (if it isn't active already). If he's not on the reservation because you have a package or something like that booked, you can add him at check-in and then they will activate his MB.

The only issue is that he's coming in the day after us (he's shooting a wedding on the day we leave) ... we'll be at Epcot when he arrives :) I'd love to leave it at the desk for him when he gets there. You think this will be a problem?

He has to be on the reservation to get official access to the room.

If you're booking packages, I can see why you don't want to add him ahead of time since it would require the same ticket as you have. If you're booking room-only and are otherwise under capacity of the room, just add him.

OK, I think I was concerned that he would be required to be part of the PACKAGE, like they insisted at the BCR last trip ... he's not going to parks so to add that cost of 5 days of tickets is ridiculous. He just needs a key! LOL

OK, I think I was concerned that he would be required to be part of the PACKAGE, like they insisted at the BCR last trip ... he's not going to parks so to add that cost of 5 days of tickets is ridiculous. He just needs a key! LOL

Did you try calling ahead of your trip to add him last time? If so, it's accurate that to add him in advance, he would need to be added to the entire package. But its my understanding that if you show up and add him at check-in, you can have him added for room access. Hopefully someone will be along to confirm.

As a note, if he will be the third person in the room that's over age 18, you'll be subject to an additional $25 per night.

I did, yes ... so I'll just mention it when I check in then. But $25 per night? Why is the difference only $15 per night when I check this on the WDW site?

Unless the cost has recently gone up, you shouldn't be charged an extra $25/night at a mod. That's for deluxes. It should be $15/night.

If he is using an old MB, it should still appear in your MDE account. You won't need the actual band at the check in desk (I'm assuming you're using your previous pin for charging). When you add him to your reservation, just ask the CM make sure that his MB is active on your MDE account. Your DH can bring the MB with him.

Last edited:
Is there a reason you are booking packages instead of room and ticket separate?
If you did that you can add him to the room and the get tickets for just those that need them

Is there a reason you are booking packages instead of room and ticket separate?
If you did that you can add him to the room and the get tickets for just those that need them

I did a package for me, my mother and my daughter (Stay, Play, Dine) because I saved about $500 on what I was projecting to spend on food. I'd rather spend the extra $45 to add him to the room than spend $500 extra by doing everything separate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter