• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

quick question about standard rooms at GCH

sweethannah

Rebel Spy, 3 times in a row!
I'm in the midst of planning for next year and we'll be staying at the Grand for the first time.... in fact our first time at any Disney property anywhere. We are very excited! :cool1:

We will be down for Dapper Days and as such the only room category available is the Standard room. From what I've read the bulk of the std rooms are near the front entrance but are there standard rooms throughout the resort? I've read you should request a room near the napa rose elevators but are there even std rooms near here? I've also read the CMS do their best to accommodate one of your room requests but if that is my main request I don't want to 'blow it on a location that doesn't exist. If that room rquest is an impossibility is a higher floor a better request or would near an elevator be better? As much as a view would be nice location within the resort and ease of access to DTD or CA is our number 1 priority.

Thanks in advance! I may book my room today ( only 10 months out hahah) but I want the peace of mind of securing our reservation to make our dream vacation a reality!

Yes, there are standard rooms scattered about. Don't worry too much about your request! I always make that request and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. There are also larger standard rooms in certain places (they have daybeds). I request one of those when there are several of us in a room. They are usually near the front of the hotel and overlook the driveway but the extra space is nice when 4 women are getting ready for Dapper Day :)

Just to jump in, I was wondering how likely it is you will get one of the daybed rooms when you request in advance? I requested this months ago and we arrive July 12th. I have 3 adults, 1 15yo and 1 11yo sharing a room.

Just to jump in, I was wondering how likely it is you will get one of the daybed rooms when you request in advance? I requested this months ago and we arrive July 12th. I have 3 adults, 1 15yo and 1 11yo sharing a room.
They do like to save those rooms for larger families! I would call them again a few days before you leave and when you check in, ask if your request was honored and if not, would one of those rooms be available? I've usually had great luck with the staff. The last time, the person checking us in told me all the rooms were the same size. I politely told him they were not. He insisted they were, so I asked him to show me the hotel map. I pointed out the rooms that have more space--you can see it on the map--and he was surprised! He then went out of his way to get us one of those rooms. On the map below, look at the Entry area. You'll see that rooms 101-107 and 201-207 are slightly longer than the adjacent rooms. You can also see that there are various other places in the hotel where the rooms are a different size. In that entry area, those are all standard rooms on every floor as they look out on the drive coming into the hotel.

83ab917c.jpg

We will be down for Dapper Days and as such the only room category available is the Standard room. From what I've read the bulk of the std rooms are near the front entrance but are there standard rooms throughout the resort? I've read you should request a room near the napa rose elevators but are there even std rooms near here? I've also read the CMS do their best to accommodate one of your room requests but if that is my main request I don't want to 'blow it on a location that doesn't exist. If that room rquest is an impossibility is a higher floor a better request or would near an elevator be better? As much as a view would be nice location within the resort and ease of access to DTD or CA is our number 1 priority.
Make it clear when checking in, that location is your "number 1 priority."
You could offer to pay for an upgrade to Woods/Courtyard view, which is often only $20/night.
It should be also possible to call the hotel and pay for an upgrade in advance.

...I was wondering how likely it is you will get one of the daybed rooms when you request in advance? I requested this months ago and we arrive July 12th. I have 3 adults, 1 15yo and 1 11yo sharing a room.
Early check-in helps, and you should book Standard view. Reservations for 5 adults may be given priority for the 39 daybed rooms.
gc_daybed.jpg

You could offer to pay for an upgrade to Woods/Courtyard view, which is often only $20/night.

Early check-in helps, and you should book Standard view. Reservations for 5 adults may be given priority for the 39 daybed rooms.
gc_daybed.jpg
I called again and requested a daybed room for my July 12th check in. They did already see a request for that and stated I should ask again at check-in. Unfortunately, we are driving so unless we get up ridiculously early, we will not be there until 1 or 2 pm.

We have stayed at the GCH many times. It is our hotel of choice.You will love it.We also booked 2 rooms for the Spring Dapper Days. I tried to upgrade from a standard view room to a Woods/Courtyard , offering to pay the extra, but they wouldn`t let me do it. They said that they only have standard rooms set aside for Dapper Days and no upgrades allowed. You can try , especially when you check in. We have stayed in Woods/Courtyard view rooms at various times and it is nice.The monorail runs right thru the courtyard but it is quiet.There is nothing wrong with the Standard view rooms. If you can get an upgrade , avoid rooms overlooking DownTownDisney. The noise goes on until 10pm.

You will get EMH ( Extra Magic Hour ) for every day you are staying on property. Early entry into DCA is Sun., Mon., Wed., and Fri. EMH for DL is Tue., Thur., and Sat.. You need to show your room key for EMH so make sure everyone in your party has one. You can enter thru the GCH entrance to DCA but during EMH that entrance really backs up since there are only 2 turnstiles. If may be faster to use the main gate to DCA during EMH.

You get your room keys as soon as you check in. So, even though the room won`t be ready until 3pm, you can check in before EMH starts the day that you arrive and get one more Early entry . If you have the time, check out the Terrace on the 6th floor overlooking DCA. Nice Kodak moment.You can watch the World of Color from there but the view is kind of far away and at an angle, not as good as from the pier.

Last edited:
Yes, the daybed rooms are a bit larger.

I've done Dapper Day several times and they will not allow you to upgrade from a standard room unless you pay full upgrade cost, which means that since you're getting your standard room at 50% off, you would have to pay the full price plus the upgrade cost. Not worth it! That's a few hundred dollars a night.

I called again and requested a daybed room for my July 12th check in. They did already see a request for that and stated I should ask again at check-in. Unfortunately, we are driving so unless we get up ridiculously early, we will not be there until 1 or 2 pm.
When I have needed a daybed room I have done what you have done so far. Since you are arriving later in the day, I'd also call in the morning to check again.
Doing this has always worked for me.

Yes, there are standard rooms scattered about. Don't worry too much about your request! I always make that request and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. There are also larger standard rooms in certain places (they have daybeds). I request one of those when there are several of us in a room. They are usually near the front of the hotel and overlook the driveway but the extra space is nice when 4 women are getting ready for Dapper Day :)

We are only 3 and as such won't need a daybed but the extra space would be nice. By the way I love reading your posts about your Dapper Day visits :)

The earliest I'll be able to check in is 1-ish, maybe a little later with a flight arriving at 11a. I did send the DLR convention group an email asking about an upgrade because I understood it was possible as well but the response was a no but they are offering discounts on Concierge at $479/00 nt and $ 404.00 nt at DLH, plus tax.

We have stayed at the GCH many times. It is our hotel of choice.You will love it.We also booked 2 rooms for the Spring Dapper Days. I tried to upgrade from a standard view room to a Woods/Courtyard , offering to pay the extra, but they wouldn`t let me do it. They said that they only have standard rooms set aside for Dapper Days and no upgrades allowed. You can try , especially when you check in. We have stayed in Woods/Courtyard view rooms at various times and it is nice.The monorail runs right thru the courtyard but it is quiet.There is nothing wrong with the Standard view rooms. If you can get an upgrade , avoid rooms overlooking DownTownDisney. The noise goes on until 10pm.

You will get EMH ( Extra Magic Hour ) for every day you are staying on property. Early entry into DCA is Sun., Mon., Wed., and Fri. EMH for DL is Tue., Thur., and Sat.. You need to show your room key for EMH so make sure everyone in your party has one. You can enter thru the GCH entrance to DCA but during EMH that entrance really backs up since there are only 2 turnstiles. If may be faster to use the main gate to DCA during EMH.

You get your room keys as soon as you check in. So, even though the room won`t be ready until 3pm, you can check in before EMH starts the day that you arrive and get one more Early entry . If you have the time, check out the Terrace on the 6th floor overlooking DCA. Nice Kodak moment.You can watch the World of Color from there but the view is kind of far away and at an angle, not as good as from the pier.

Thank you for all your information! I've read about the Terrace and we will definitely try to check it out :)

Yes, the daybed rooms are a bit larger.

I've done Dapper Day several times and they will not allow you to upgrade from a standard room unless you pay full upgrade cost, which means that since you're getting your standard room at 50% off, you would have to pay the full price plus the upgrade cost. Not worth it! That's a few hundred dollars a night.

That seems to be the consensus.
My plan is to request a room near the Napa Rose elevators, 2 queens and a higher floor. I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best. No room is going to be bad - I'm at the Grand California Hotel! :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter