Quick ? - lactose free diet

SleepyMom

DIS Veteran
Quick background... Oldest DD has been having some issues lately and was put on a lactose free diet for one week a month or so ago. She hated it and was miserable and didn't think it helped. Today she had a procedure done and was told to again go lactose free for 2 weeks. She lives 5 hours away, so the last time I just encouraged her over the phone to stick with it.

This time she will be home visiting us for almost 4 days during the 2 weeks of restrictions and I want to do everything I can to help her. She is soooo bummed because everytime she comes home we always go to her favorite place to eat here and we won't be able to do that this time, because it is a buffet and they serve pizza (the main reason we go there). Plus is it her birthday the day she arrives, and I had already promised to make her favorite lasagna along with a birthday cake. I know I could google it, but honestly thought I could get faster answers here :thumbsup2

I know the lasagna and pizza are out, but can I make her a birthday cake? This is a girl who loves her milk and cheese... it is going to be a lllooooooonnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggg 2 weeks I am afraid.

Some people with lactose problems are okay with milk as long as its been cooked, so the cake might actually be okay. Maybe she could call her doctor and ask if she can try to eat food that has been cooked with milk.

Has she tried almond milk for drinking?

There are also soy cheeses she can try.

And what about ordering pizza/making lasagna without cheese? Might as well try it once before deciding she doesn't like it. :confused3

Is there dairy in boxed cake mix? I've never noticed. My daughter has severe food allergies, but that isn't one of them, so it's not an ingredient I pay a lot of attention to when I read labels. I got up to go look for you, but I don't have any cake mixes.

I don't see why you couldn't make her a cake. Just read the labels. If there is dairy in all the cake mixes, I can give you a recipe if you'd like, for chocolate cake that definitely has no dairy (or egg).

Hugs and best wishes for your daughter. It's hard to have to give up foods you love. :hug:

There is a lot of hidden dairy. I would suggest going to https://www.foodallergy.org/files/media/downloads/HTRLsheet2010.pdf and using that as a guide. It is possible the first time that she was consuming lactose and didn't realize it. I have been lactose free all my life and even now I still miss it.

If you want to make her a cake from scratch search for casin free recipes. For Pizza, order w/o the cheese. It takes some getting used to but it's not bad. Lasagna, I wouldn't do it. The dairy free cheese's are not all that good, and for someone who's not used to them lasagna wouldn't be a great choice. ;-)

Our daughter is just lactose intolerant; it's not an allergy. There is a difference.

If it is not a true allergy, perhaps she could speak with her doctor about the chewable lact-aid pills. When my daughter chooses to eat a milk product, she chews one of these tablets and she seems OK. She doesn't do this very often, though.

Has she tried soy products? My daughter has adjusted to these. Also, she likes almond milk and Lactaid milk.

Spaghetti and meatballs might make a good substitute for lasagna. Also, consider a great pie recipe if you decide you cannot make the cake. No, it's not the same, but keeping her healthy and strong is the best gift you can give her. Kudos for making the effort, Mom! If it's important to you, it will be to her, too.;)

There's milk products in virtually everything, it's like trying to escape soy products...

Some people with lactose problems are okay with milk as long as its been cooked, so the cake might actually be okay. Maybe she could call her doctor and ask if she can try to eat food that has been cooked with milk.
I agree, I'm lactose intolerant (since infancy...) and I can handle cooked or processed milk products (yogurt, good quality cheese, etc.) just fine.

EDIT: for lasagna, try subbing out the ricotta cheese for cottage cheese.

There is a lot of hidden dairy. I would suggest going to https://www.foodallergy.org/files/media/downloads/HTRLsheet2010.pdf and using that as a guide. It is possible the first time that she was consuming lactose and didn't realize it. I have been lactose free all my life and even now I still miss it.

If you want to make her a cake from scratch search for casin free recipes. For Pizza, order w/o the cheese. It takes some getting used to but it's not bad. Lasagna, I wouldn't do it. The dairy free cheese's are not all that good, and for someone who's not used to them lasagna wouldn't be a great choice. ;-)

I agree.

Is the concern the lactose or being dairy free/free of all dairy proteins? Depending on what it is would determine some options for you. Is it possible her issues are protein related not lactose related (they are not the same thing). My boys had protein issues as infants and avoiding all hidden dairy was extremely important in our case but not knowing her issues and why it is suggested I would still say avoid any form of dairy at all...even baked/cooked in food. To get a true picture of how it is impacting her digestive system/body she really needs to be free of it totally.

I agree.

Is the concern the lactose or being dairy free/free of all dairy proteins? Depending on what it is would determine some options for you. Is it possible her issues are protein related not lactose related (they are not the same thing). My boys had protein issues as infants and avoiding all hidden dairy was extremely important in our case but not knowing her issues and why it is suggested I would still say avoid any form of dairy at all...even baked/cooked in food. To get a true picture of how it is impacting her digestive system/body she really needs to be free of it totally.

Thanks everyone, I will be sure to check out that link provided and will send it on to DD as well.

For now they don't know what her issue is being caused by, so that is why they want her to go dairy/lactose free for 2 weeks. If the problem persists while being off all dairy then I guess they will move on to other areas. This is going to be tough for her to stick with, so I just want to be as helpful as possible while she is home.

DD is lactose intolerant and a cheese-aholic. She still eats lots of cheese by picking the right ones. Finlandia cheeses are lactose free. Lots of aged cheeses are lactose free, although they may not say it. We go by the "dried out cheese" rule. :rotfl: :rotfl: Anything that looks like a hunk of dry parmesan usually passes the test. I've found that many Scandanavian cheeses are lactose free.

Lactaid milk tastes like regular milk. Now they make yogurt too, but she hasn't tried it.

Duncan Hines butter golden cake mix is free of lactose (all milk actually). My dd has a life threatening milk allergy. It needs butter or margarine, but they have milk free margarine out there.

Why not look for vegan menu ideas? They don't eat milk/dairy products (for the most part). Since eggs come from chickens and milk/cheese/yogurt come from a cow.

My friend recently went through a month with no dairy because of gallbladder issues. He said it sucked, but livable, and ate lots of soup, rice, and fish.

I use Duncan Hines yellow and devil's food cake mix regularly for my milk ALLERGIC dd. No whey, casein or lactose in it.

Thanks everyone, I will be sure to check out that link provided and will send it on to DD as well.

For now they don't know what her issue is being caused by, so that is why they want her to go dairy/lactose free for 2 weeks. If the problem persists while being off all dairy then I guess they will move on to other areas. This is going to be tough for her to stick with, so I just want to be as helpful as possible while she is home.

I asked because there tends to be a difference between being lactose free and dairy free so I wanted to clarify. Lactose free milk for example still contains dairy proteins so that doesn't help if someone should be free of all dairy proteins and dairy products. I would be sure it is clear what needs to be done so you can follow it to the letter or it will not show a true picture of what goes on when she is dairy free.

Dairy is a tough one and once you stop eating it your body doesn't immediately go back to normal hence the suggestion for 2 or more weeks dairy free.

I would urge you to avoid all hidden dairy and dairy in all forms..keep in mind it can be in places you would never think to look. For example some lunch meats contain dairy proteins, BBQ items (even BBQ potato chips) can contain dairy. Products that tout themselves as non dairy like Cool Whip or non dairy creamer also contain dairy proteins.

Read labels carefully and if an item indicates dairy I would avoid it during her dairy free trail. Even tiny trace amounts can be enough to bother some people so to get a true picture regarding how the dairy is impacting her she needs to be very careful and free of it in all forms.

If you are looking for a milk free butter substitute we use Smart Balance in the small tubs (the large one has casein, I think) or Earth Balance.

I make mashed potatoes with soy milk (plain) - no one can tell the difference.

Tofutti makes ice cream products and american "cheese" (plus some other products not available in my area).

Van's makes waffles that are dairy free.

Lender's frozen bagels are dairy free.

The Food Allergy and Anaphalaxis Network is a great resource.

There's milk products in virtually everything, it's like trying to escape soy products...

I agree, I'm lactose intolerant (since infancy...) and I can handle cooked or processed milk products (yogurt, good quality cheese, etc.) just fine.

How would that help? Cottage cheese, like many other dairy products, isn't prepared like it used to be - heating fermented milk until the curds clump - most have cream, milk or milk solids added to curds.

I can handle some cooked milk, but there would be no way I could eat cottage cheese. If OP's daughter is on an elimination diet, then she shouldn't have any form of dairy/lactose.

OP, I just remembered a website I've been using a lot is www.onceamonthmom.com. She has gluten free/dairy free menus (dd is GF & I'm dairy free). Everything I've tried has been great, maybe you can find something fun for your DD's birthday.

Hi, my son is allergic to milk, eggs and chocolate. Some hints:

Use soy milk for the baking. It tastes the same. I makes my cakes from scratch because the mixes have milk or egg products or are made on machines which also process milk or eggs. (is the Duncan Hines really milk free? no cross contamination? I'll have to check that out)

My son prefers tofutti as his soy cheese. He will not eat anything else. They make a mozzarella version we use to make pizza. It melts. You may have to go to a health food or organic store to find it.

They make tofu and rice based ice cream. We can't eat it because it usually has chocolate, but I hear it's pretty good.

Good luck. You do adjust.

They make tofu and rice based ice cream. We can't eat it because it usually has chocolate, but I hear it's pretty good.

Good luck. You do adjust.

I personally don't care for the Tofu ice cream. The Rice Dream is pretty good, but there is a relativly new one made from coconut that is great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter