Queue Jumping issues

craigt

Earning My Ears
Anyone find queue jumping a problem is the Disneyland parks?

I visited for the first time last week and was shocked at how much queue jumping was taking place unchecked, in one day I counted over 30 instances!

I have been to Disney World many times and have never remember this being an issue, but really felt it last week.

It was mainly teenagers who claimed there were trying to join someone already in the queue. Now the occasional time you get a parent and a young child maybe....say they needed to leave the line for the toilet or something then fine, but past the age of about 6 I don't think this is acceptable (and in my experience here I'm talking 14+).

On one ride I witnessed two people get almost right to the loading area before stopping. Now if you decide not to queue together I think you sacrifice the right to ride together.

Anyone else find this an issue at Disneyland?

We were there in July of 2010 (so, it was a very busy time of year), and we were lucky to not have encountered this problem. However, it's one of the main reasons I'm kind of dreading that one of our trips for 2012 will encompass up to 4 grad nites.

In all the times we've been to DLR over the last 15 years (over 100 times), I can't remember ever noticing queue jumping enough to be bothered by it (and I *would* be bothered by it, lol). So, I don't know if it's actually happening and I'm just having too good of a time to take notice, or if we're not encountering it because we use FP's and early arrival times to avoid long lines? :confused3

3Minnies is right... the more people in the park, the more it will happen.
We ere there between Christmas and New Year's and noticed it quite a bit.

I really don't mind if one parent + little kids meets the rest of their family in line, whether it's because they had to go to the bathroom or simply can't handle a 45 minute line (by age 7 or so I think this excuse loses its credibility though). The thing that drives me nuts are the people that cut into the TSMM line by entering through the chain (that you just unclip, walk through and reclip) that's about 2/3rd of the way through - just before you enter the indoor part of the line.

The other thing I see a LOT that bugs me is the people (I am sorry, but they mostly seem to be foreigners) that shove their way in front of/on top of you during parades. No personal space, no consideration for the fact that the people already there have been waiting in that spot for quite a while. I will *always* let kids go in front of me at parades, but it really aggravates me when adults shove their way through or send their kids right in front of my kids. Grr.

Oh well, I don't let it ruin my time, but it is sad that people can't just be respectful and courteous of others. :confused3

Until everyone at the end of the line decides to put their foot down to the line jumpers, it will continue (and will likely get worse as word gets around).

I'm more than happy to stand up to the teens and tell them "No, you may not pass me."

It takes a village ;)

OMG – At Magic Mtn, I was close to the top of a long line. All of us saw 6 teens snaking their way through the line from the very beginning. We were all strangers, but all were commenting that they better stop before they reached us. Well, they did reach us and I was the only one who tried to stop them. For my troubles, I was grabbed from behind and thrown into the wall by a very big, very mad “Mom” who was waiting for her kids at the top of the line. Someone called security, but they did nothing. Just after the ride, my 6 y.o. and I went into the restroom. I’m not kidding when I say that I feared for my life. I found my husband (he wasn’t on the ride) and we left. I never returned.

ORMom2Four is right – it takes a village. In my case, the village deserted me :(

I’ve wondered since that day if I did the right thing. I’m seriously not sure it was worth my trouble.

OMG – At Magic Mtn, I was close to the top of a long line. All of us saw 6 teens snaking their way through the line from the very beginning. We were all strangers, but all were commenting that they better stop before they reached us. Well, they did reach us and I was the only one who tried to stop them. For my troubles, I was grabbed from behind and thrown into the wall by a very big, very mad “Mom” who was waiting for her kids at the top of the line. Someone called security, but they did nothing. Just after the ride, my 6 y.o. and I went into the restroom. I’m not kidding when I say that I feared for my life. I found my husband (he wasn’t on the ride) and we left. I never returned.

ORMom2Four is right – it takes a village. In my case, the village deserted me :(
If that woman threw you that's assault isn't it??? Why didn't their security do anything? Did you ask them too?
WOW! I'm sorry but that is crap and I can't see DL not doing anything about that if they knew you had been "touched" like that.
AND to answer your question we often stand alone in life when we do the right thing. That doesn't make it any less right. If that mother had calmly said to you those are my kids and I was waiting for them. You probably would have been annoyed but dropped it. It was wrong of her to do that and I'm sorry that happened to you.

I’ve wondered since that day if I did the right thing. I’m seriously not sure it was worth my trouble

Um, duh, they paid to get in! Lol, that's what we always say when people line jump.

I came up with a new policy this past trip: If you want to push your way up through the line, go for it, but I am not going to make it easy for you! Lol.

I’ve wondered since that day if I did the right thing. I’m seriously not sure it was worth my trouble.

I cannot believe that, that is horrible. I am positive I would have tried to stop the teens and if that woman laid a hand on me...darn tootin' I would have laid charges on her!

I am sorry you had a terrible experience @ DLR. I know this for sure that we have been +++ time to DLR/DCA and yes there have been queue jumpers and if I had seen that many teens SHOVING past people in line...that is not acceptable. Come on. Join the rest of the village and wait in line...part of the experience!:rotfl2:

I do have a 3 year old DD and yes my DH and I would take turns keeping her entertained but we waited in line with her unless it was a "potty" break.:thumbsup2

I hope you try again because well, it's DLR :grouphug:

the only instance of this I can think of was at WDW. And the CMs let it happen. And this was on Spaceship Earth, the least thrilling ride in existence, LOL.

All you would have done is say-security did nothing,I feared for my life and child, Im pressing charges and sueing Disney for not handing the person. Trust me, that women would have been deat with! Even tho persay you didnt sue, mention the word and businesses take caution. If it were me in yer spot,my fast reflexes and actions, I wouldve slapped her,then my husband wouldve stepped in. In that case, that woman forcably pushed me and I was defending myself where I felt threatened!

We had it happen to us on indy jones last week as well

2 kids about 12 and 10 would push ahead saying they were trying to ride with their parents

then within a couple minutes the parents would push ahead saying their kids were just a head.....i didn't think anything of it....till i saw the same 4some do it on california screaming

I was having a drink waiting for someone to get off the ride and i saw the same four do it a couple times on cal screaming....i called them on it from outside the line.....they tried lie themselves out of it but i told them i had seen them do it multiple time

i just can't believe parents would contribute to this type of behaviour

When I drive by Magic Mountain on my way to Disneyland, I often consider stopping to check out all those great coasters. However your experience (and many others I have read online), keeps me from stopping. I'm on vacation, and don't need to go out of my way to have hassles.

Related to line jumping: The problem was so bad at Great America in Santa Clara, the city created a law against it. Although seldom enforced it gave local police some extra power in the park. At the time, the City of Santa Clara had taken ownership of the park (to keep it from closing) and police would supplement park security.

At Disneyland, I don't care if people join their friends in line. I maximize the used of fastpass, and very seldom wait in long lines. This means I very seldom ride TSMM :rotfl:

Almost every trip to Disneyland I've seen this happen. Usually its a grandmother in a family, and up to 15 people would join her in line once she got close to the front. Then she would step out and go to the next line. I've seen this in smaller families also, but it's the large number of people cutting that really gets to me. Wait your turn like everyone else. I am not referring to those with young children, because I've been there, done that with last minute potty needs!

I really don't mind if one parent + little kids meets the rest of their family in line, whether it's because they had to go to the bathroom or simply can't handle a 45 minute line (by age 7 or so I think this excuse loses its credibility though). The thing that drives me nuts are the people that cut into the TSMM line by entering through the chain (that you just unclip, walk through and reclip) that's about 2/3rd of the way through - just before you enter the indoor part of the line.

That annoyed me too! I understood when it was a mother with her young child who'd just gone to the bathroom (they told us that when they moved through, we were fine with it) but there was one case of a Dad and his two kids probably aged 10-12 who moved through the line to meet with their wife/mother exclaiming how much fun Screamin' had been. Whilst she 'held' their spot in line.

The only other time I can think of when I experienced queue jumpers was on the Matterhorn. Four boys in their pre-teens cut the line saying they were meeting their family at the front. Well, the CM noticed this and asked them to point out their family, and when they couldn't (clearly because they didn't have the family at the front) the CM said okay well if they come to the front and ask for you, I'll send them to the back of the line where you'll be waiting :laughing:

If it happens to me without a toddler, I ask if they are trying to ride together with someone. When the answer is yes, I then recommend that they have the people in front of us come back to meet them where they are in line.

My 8 year old dd and I were waiting in line. Two boys around 13 started inching along the line by sitting on the railing, playing around and then "falling" in front of each group. We watched them with some amusement, and then my little girl and I had a ton of fun by leaning on the railing on both sides while my mom stood in the middle. :lmao: They actually seemed confused by it!

Oh, by the way....this was the line for Winnie the Pooh!
:rotfl2:

You can blame the infiltration of the queue-jumping thread from the WDW boards on me. It must have been stuck to the bottom of my shoe when I came over here. ;)

I had been reading about how horrible the line jumpers were at DLR right before our first trip and was pretty worried about it. Well, we were there last week in Oct and did not see any line jumping - unless they were so good at it that I did not notice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter