Questions re Newport Bay Hotel

Booknut

<font color=green>I couldn't figure out why people
Hi

DH and I are going on our first trip to DLRP and are staying at the Newport Bay, Admiral's Floor. I have a few questions for those of you who have stayed there before. Are the rooms at the very far end of the hotel? I have a very bad right ankle and am a bit worried that we will be a 15 minute walk away from the lobby!!!

Do you reckon I should ring the hotel or Thomson (who I booked with) or just leave it? We are going end of January so hopefully hotel won't be fully booked.

Also, has anyone had room service there? Is it worth it for breakfast and/or dinner?

One more question please! As its going to be super cold (i'm guessing!) in January/February is it possible to catch a shuttle bus to the entrance of the parks from the hotel?

Thanks in advance!

Eloise

In a short thread just below Newport bay hotel ROOMS :earseek: I asked similar questions : you could find some answers there !!!

BEXX is at Newport hotel right now and she promised she will let us know all the details about that resort !!!!

She will be back in a few days !!!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

IMHO you could always take the free shuttle from the hotel to the parks ...but I noticed that it's quite a walk from the shuttle stop to the parks entrance ...so in our past visits we always managed to go directly from our hotel to the parks - without wasting time walking to the bus stop (outside the hotel) and then to the entrance of the park .
For us it was simpler and - IMHO - a shorter walk !!!

Maybe ... :confused3 not yet sure ... that we will be going to Newport first days of January ... If so , I'll be glad to post more details about the hotel !!!

Stay tuned !!!

Ciao, Laura :wave:

Hi
Some rooms can be very far away from the lobby i would ask Thompson, or ring the hotel yourself, to put a note on your booking about your ankle and request a room not too far away. I've never had room service so can't help you there but yes there is a shuttle bus to the entrance of the parks from the hotel. It stops at the transport station next to the train station prob about a 5 min walk to either entrance (if that). HTH.

I'm a bit worried because my ankle has been pretty bad since October (thank goodness it wasn't like this in September when we were at WDW!) and I don't want to put any more unnecessary pressure on it than I have to (I need to save the walking for inside the parks!).

Am wondering whether I should upgrade to Disneyland Hotel. Is this hotel relatively close for walking to the parks and the Disney Village?

Thanks for your help!

Eloise

The Disneyland hotel is RIGHT next to the parks and village... you have to walk through it to get in.. lol.. i would *love* to stay there.... one day....

p.s. it WILL be cold... no colder than here i guess but you wouldn't usually spend that amount of time walking around at that time of year at home.... our tip? take plenty or coffee/tea and snack stops...

p.p.s. hope your ankle holds out... get mickey to give you a piggy back!

Booknut said:
Am wondering whether I should upgrade to Disneyland Hotel. Is this hotel relatively close for walking to the parks and the Disney Village?

Thanks for your help!

Eloise
Hi Eloise :wave:

It will take about 5 minutes (max) to walk from your actual room to the INSIDE of the Disneyland Park. The hotel is over the entrance, with basically direct access to the turnstiles. Disney Village is about a 5-7 minute walk from the hotel, back past the railway terminal and towards Lake Disney.

It will be quite expensive to upgrade, but I think it would be well worth it if you have a bad ankle. You will also be able to pop back during the day to have a rest if needed.

:wizard:

Edit: Regarding the Admiral's Floor....when we stayed at NBC AF our room was situated quite a hike from the lobby. This was a few years ago, however. The room had a wonderful view of Lake Disney - but the elevators were the other side of the corridor and I think it too a good 5/10 mins to get out of the hotel each morning - then there is the walk to the park.

Well I just spoke with Thomson and it would cost £388 more to stay at Disneyland Hotel, am going to speak to my husband but that seems like way too much money for just 3 nights. We have to weigh up the pros and cons. Is this hotel really worth the extra money???!!!!

She did put a note on my booking requesting a room near the lobby, she says that 9 times out of 10 they honour those requests and it shouldn't be too busy end of January.

Will let you know what we decide!

Jeepers! that *is* a lot extra.... i've heard that they are pretty good at honouring requests... hmmm.... i dunno what to suggest...

Booknut said:
Well I just spoke with Thomson and it would cost £388 more to stay at Disneyland Hotel, Is this hotel really worth the extra money???!!!!

IF you can afford that extra money ...I would go for it !!!

Disneyland hotel is ... a JEWEL !!!! we have been there at Xmas 2 years ago with my parents (in their 80s !!) and it was JUST MAGIC !!!!!

My Dad had serious walking problems AND just had passed through an heart -attack ... Even though he was able to enjoy the parks, as you are IN THE MIDDLE of all the action ...and you can always go back for a nap or ... to warm up !!! :Pinkbounc

We felt every euro was really worth it !!!!

:wizard: Pixie dust your way !!!

laura

Booknut said:
Well I just spoke with Thomson and it would cost £388 more to stay at Disneyland Hotel, am going to speak to my husband but that seems like way too much money for just 3 nights. We have to weigh up the pros and cons. Is this hotel really worth the extra money???!!!!

She did put a note on my booking requesting a room near the lobby, she says that 9 times out of 10 they honour those requests and it shouldn't be too busy end of January.

Will let you know what we decide!
I too think it is worth the extra, but only during the winter season. When we went were at the DLH for Christmas/New Year, it was absolutely wonderful to be able to pop back to our room so quickly and easily for a warm-up and for our children to have a rest. It was extremely cold, and it was wonderful not having the trek back to a different hotel. However, in the summer I found we enjoyed the pleasant stroll along Lake Disney to the Newport Bay Club.

:wizard:

Hi
I agree with the above posts, The Disneyland Hotel is well worth the extra money if you can afford it. Hotel is more or less in the park, and it makes it so much easier to nip back to the room if you need a rest. Its amazing how much walking you will be doing so anything that makes it easier is worth it. We brought a pedometer with us last year and found that we walked on average 8 miles per day!!

So if you can afford it I'd go for it!

I had a talk with DH last night and he thinks it is a lot of money but if I want to then to book it (cleverly dodged by him!).

Is it really a hassle to catch a shuttle bus from the Newport? Where does the shuttle drop you off in relation to the park (if I was looking at a map)?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your input and help with this!

Eloise

Hi - I've just got back!

Booknut - The Admiral's Floor facilities cover rooms all over, what in our case was, the 6th Floor - so I'm sure that if you sent in a request for a room near the lift then it wouldn't be a problem to fulfill. The shuttle bus goes from outside the main entrance and stops along the side of the station, so it's then about a 100 yard walk to the main hub that branches off to the Disney Village, and the two parks. The main problem while we were there was that the NBC bus stop was the furthest stop - but it's still definitely quicker than walking all the way back to your hotel. The thing that amazes me is how much you've been quoted to upgrade to the Disneyland Hotel!! Just out of interest what dates are you going?

Laura and Booknut - the Admiral's Floor is okay. Extra to the standard rooms, you get a hairdryer, a voucher for one tray of tea and coffee making facilities (which I'm not exactly sure what that entails as I didn't use it) and possibly three FastPass tickets per person. We got ours but I did book our trip from the summer brochure where this perk was mention, and that might have been taken into account - but they are not mentioned in the current winter brochure. The room service menu is very limited, and it costs 10 euros to have breakfast delivered to your room. I love the style of the NBC and it's a very nice hotel, but for a few pounds less I would go definitely go back to the Hotel New York - all the same facilities and you get a bigger room and bathroom!!

Any other questions - just ask.

Hi Bexx

Thanks so much for posting! We have decided to stay with the NBC because we'd rather spend the £388 on other things (like thermal underwear!) :cold:

I'm going to wrap my ankle up and just go slow! Luckily when we are going they have the magic unlimited going on which I think means we can stay on some of the rides and go again without getting off which will also give my ankle a break! :goodvibes

Unfortunately I booked this holiday through Thompson (a mistake I will never make again - they are horrible!!) and they wanted me to pay an extra £388 to upgrade from NBC to Disneyland Hotel for 3 nights. That is more than 50% more than the holiday is costing us (including first class return on Eurostar).

We are going 30 January - 2 February. Should be lovely and freezing!!!

Did you have breakfast or any other meal in your room on the Admirals Floor?

And most importantly, did you have a fab time?!!!

Yes, we had breakfast delivered to our room on the morning we left - which was very nice.

And though we didn't exactly have a fab time, we had a very pleasant one. My poor DD went down with a tummy bug which rather limited our activites, but it was still fun just to be at DLP!! :flower:

@ Frances999 I would like to read a trip report about your stays at the DLH! Especially the stay at the suite!

Please! :wizard: :earsboy: :cheer2: :love:

Bexx said:
Hi - I've just got back!
Laura and Booknut - the Admiral's Floor is okay. Extra to the standard rooms, you get a hairdryer, a voucher for one tray of tea and coffee making facilities (which I'm not exactly sure what that entails as I didn't use it) and possibly three FastPass tickets per person..........

Any other questions - just ask.

:love: Glad you are back !!!! DID YOU HAVE A NICE TRIP ?? :cheer2:

:wizard: Could you admire the Xmas decorations already ?
:earseek: Are there sandwiches / cakes / quick snacks at the NBC?in their "bars" ? all day long ?

Are the rooms WARM ? ( I feel so much cold weather !!!)

How is their breakfast ?

:lovestruc Sorry to bother you with so many questions ...but you're so sweet ... :love2:

and :rolleyes1 I guess :rolleyes1 DGH is going to "deliver" my surprise soon !!!! ( He is always HIDING brochures and would close PC as soon as I enter the room ...)

Ciao, Laura :wave:

MICKEY'S DREAMERS said:
:
and :rolleyes1 I guess :rolleyes1 DGH is going to "deliver" my surprise soon !!!! ( He is always HIDING brochures and would close PC as soon as I enter the room ...)

:

Oh this is so lovely :love: :love:

Laura -

the only breakfast I had at the NBC was the one that was delivered to my room, but it was certainly very nice.

I can only tell you about the bar by the lobby, but the only food they served was a ham and cheese sandwich, and possibly a chicken one as well!! So not a huge selection there!!

We managed to get the room up to a good temperature - certainly in our room the heating was very effective!!

And yes, the christmas decorations were up, and looking lovely. :flower:

As I said, the Admiral's Floor is nothing to write home about, but I think the Newport Bay itself is a very attractive hotel.

Hope you don't have to wait to long for your surprise! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter