Questions for veterans of Peru ABD tour

anonymousegirl

DIS Veteran
Is one day at Machu Picchu enough time. Many of the other tours to the site have an overnight so you can be sure to get those beautiful sunrise photos--and I worry that bad weather could spoil our one day.

Also, for walking and those treacherous-looking steps, would a Nordic walking stick help with balance and support, or do you think it would be more trouble than benefit?

Is one day at Machu Picchu enough time. Many of the other tours to the site have an overnight so you can be sure to get those beautiful sunrise photos--and I worry that bad weather could spoil our one day.

Also, for walking and those treacherous-looking steps, would a Nordic walking stick help with balance and support, or do you think it would be more trouble than benefit?

We did this ABD and honestly were more than ready to head back by the end of the Machu Picchu day. It's a big place, but not THAT big. The guides do a really good job of taking you all over the ruins and explaining things, then after a really yummy lunch in the Lodge, you have plenty of on your own time. Some hiked up to the sun gate, and some hung around the ruins. But there's not anything to *do* there, so it's a lot of "Oh, wow, this is beautiful." Which, for my personal family, we can only do for so long.

Yes, you will miss the sunrise photos. If you are a photographer and this is a must-have for you, then obviously you would need to do a different tour. Only you can know where on the scale the sunrise falls compared to the other things on both the ABD and the other tours you are considering. I know there are even some tour companies that are mainly for photographers.

As for the walking stick: It depends on your age/fitness level. The steps are not actually as treacherous as they may appear in photos. Also, you may have seen images of steps coming up from the Inca Trail, which you will not be on if you do the ABD. From where we entered, at the main gate right by Sanctuary Lodge, there was an upward trail that wound around and included both steps and dirt path. I feel like the final climb to the highest vantage point was a little steeper, but we stopped first at a photo op and rested, and then it was only a few more steps up.

There was a lady in our group in her 70s who was in good shape, but had either had knee surgery or some balance issues (can't remember which, she never made a big deal out of it) and she used a walking stick. I think, though, that the guides provided it to her. If you are inclined to use a stick, but to only use it for this portion of the Adventure, it would be worth calling ABD and asking if the guides have access to sticks rather than you having to pack one.

Also, she used the stick after consultation with the guides and deciding she could handle the climb. If she had decided that she couldn't handle it, there was another way she could have gone in, and skipped the most difficult climbing. The guides just took us up that one path because it blocked the view of the ruins until we were above them at the best vantage point to be awed with our first glimpse. That's the Disney magic pixiedust: The steps within the ruins themselves are wide stone, and were not at all difficult to navigate.

IF, though, you have issues with walking and climbing in general, and a walking stick helps you, then definitely bring one. Machu Picchu was one of the less strenuous days on this Adventure. I found it much harder to climb down into the circular farming pit, not to mention the climb back out! The hike down into the salt mines is on a narrow track that slopes down at a definite angle, and the Sacsayhuaman "walk" involves some real ups and downs as well. Hey, you're in the highlands of Peru - it's not flat!

We did this ABD and honestly were more than ready to head back by the end of the Machu Picchu day. It's a big place, but not THAT big. The guides do a really good job of taking you all over the ruins and explaining things, then after a really yummy lunch in the Lodge, you have plenty of on your own time. Some hiked up to the sun gate, and some hung around the ruins. But there's not anything to *do* there, so it's a lot of "Oh, wow, this is beautiful." Which, for my personal family, we can only do for so long.

Yes, you will miss the sunrise photos. If you are a photographer and this is a must-have for you, then obviously you would need to do a different tour. Only you can know where on the scale the sunrise falls compared to the other things on both the ABD and the other tours you are considering. I know there are even some tour companies that are mainly for photographers.

As for the walking stick: It depends on your age/fitness level. The steps are not actually as treacherous as they may appear in photos. Also, you may have seen images of steps coming up from the Inca Trail, which you will not be on if you do the ABD. From where we entered, at the main gate right by Sanctuary Lodge, there was an upward trail that wound around and included both steps and dirt path. I feel like the final climb to the highest vantage point was a little steeper, but we stopped first at a photo op and rested, and then it was only a few more steps up.

There was a lady in our group in her 70s who was in good shape, but had either had knee surgery or some balance issues (can't remember which, she never made a big deal out of it) and she used a walking stick. I think, though, that the guides provided it to her. If you are inclined to use a stick, but to only use it for this portion of the Adventure, it would be worth calling ABD and asking if the guides have access to sticks rather than you having to pack one.

Also, she used the stick after consultation with the guides and deciding she could handle the climb. If she had decided that she couldn't handle it, there was another way she could have gone in, and skipped the most difficult climbing. The guides just took us up that one path because it blocked the view of the ruins until we were above them at the best vantage point to be awed with our first glimpse. That's the Disney magic pixiedust: The steps within the ruins themselves are wide stone, and were not at all difficult to navigate.

IF, though, you have issues with walking and climbing in general, and a walking stick helps you, then definitely bring one. Machu Picchu was one of the less strenuous days on this Adventure. I found it much harder to climb down into the circular farming pit, not to mention the climb back out! The hike down into the salt mines is on a narrow track that slopes down at a definite angle, and the Sacsayhuaman "walk" involves some real ups and downs as well. Hey, you're in the highlands of Peru - it's not flat!

Thanks for the detailed response! I don't have trouble walking but if the track is muddy/slippery, I would prefer to have something to steady myself. I have a nordic stick that collapses down that would work well I think.

Here is a link to my 2013 trip report:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3097441

I don't give away any surprises, but it's fairly detailed, so if you don't want to know too much about the trip beforehand, you might not want to read it. Machu Picchu is on page 3. Personally, I felt rushed and definitely think we did not have enough time there. Later in the report I made some comments on that subject. Knowing what I know now, I would choose a different tour that spends more time at Machu Picchu.

It rained a bit the day we were there. The wet steps were very slippery. You really have to watch your step. I don't have any experience with walking sticks, so I'm not sure if they would help. Other than that, it's not difficult to get around, if you have no mobility issues. I saw one lady coming down from the guard on crutches and she said it took some effort but was definitely worth it.

Bobo has been more recently than I have, so definitely pay more attention to that trip report! Also, know that my family has a relatively sort attention span:rolleyes1

I had not factored in rain as we had perfect weather the whole trip. I can see how the steps would be super slippery in rain, as they are stone.

The Peru ABD was our favorite! We loved just about everything. In fact, we loved it so much we went back to Peru the following year on our own. On the ABD trip we wanted more time at Machu Picchu so when we went back we stayed the night in Aguas Calientes the night before and after Machu Picchu so we could be the first in the park in the morning and the last out at the end of the day. It was great!

However, there were lots of folks on the ABD trip that felt they had plenty of time and in fact were anxious to get going. I had been wanting to go to Machu Picchu since my freshman Spanish class in high school. It truly was a dream of mine and it is a magical place.

The ABD Peru trip was fantastic not only for Machu Picchu but for all the other aspects of the trip. Peru is much more than Machu Picchu and I loved all of it!

Here is a link to my 2013 trip report:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3097441

I don't give away any surprises, but it's fairly detailed, so if you don't want to know too much about the trip beforehand, you might not want to read it. Machu Picchu is on page 3. Personally, I felt rushed and definitely think we did not have enough time there. Later in the report I made some comments on that subject. Knowing what I know now, I would choose a different tour that spends more time at Machu Picchu.

It rained a bit the day we were there. The wet steps were very slippery. You really have to watch your step. I don't have any experience with walking sticks, so I'm not sure if they would help. Other than that, it's not difficult to get around, if you have no mobility issues. I saw one lady coming down from the guard on crutches and she said it took some effort but was definitely worth it.

Bobo, I did read your report. Thanks for doing such a thorough job. It has been a long time since I packed those little WC packets with handiwipes, toilet paper and seat cover, but I know I will order some for this trip!

Well, we're putting the deposit down today!! Our first ABD trip. DH is not as excited as I am (not a Disney fan). I promised him wonderful guides and hotels, a meticulous attention to detail, and absolutely no characters popping up to dine with us!

I am a bit nervous about just having the one day at Machu Picchu as it will be a long time before we can get back to Peru (lots of other places on our bucket list) as AddictedtoTravel did.

But if we feel we would have rather had more time, the Galapagos are on that list and so we could make a second visit to Peru at the end of that trip if necessary.

The Peru trip remains one of my ABD favorites as well. Especially taking up the opportunity for horseback riding at Sol Y Luna and the Cusco nights at the museums (both on our own). Our family was strongly divided at Machu Picchu. The wife and twins had exactly enough and were ready to go when the tour left. My son and I on the other hand could probably have stayed two days. We explored to the Sun Gate, and were just working our way through some of the farther ruins when we had to turn back. I spent an hour just to get a great picture of the sun coming through one of the portals. But there are only so many hours in a day, a week, a month, and there is SO much you can do in Peru.

We added days for private tours through the city (our guides recommended the tour folks and assisted setting it up). Like many places, there will NEVER be enough time to do all that you want.

Enjoy!

We were there in July 2014, would have liked more time at MP for sure. By the time you leave the Sol y Luna, get the bus, train, bus up to to MP then repeat the series it was only 4 hours at the site. Will definitely look to go back at some point and stay at the Sanctuary Lodge in the off season for one night or so.

Quick question about electrical plugs. Did you need an adapter to charge batteries or iPods? Keep looking but can't find if hotels are wired for US plugs. Thanks in advance.

Quick question about electrical plugs. Did you need an adapter to charge batteries or iPods? Keep looking but can't find if hotels are wired for US plugs. Thanks in advance.
I took this trip in 2013 and all of the hotels had both 220V and 110V outlets, so there was no need for adapters. The first hotel has changed from Casa Andina to JW Marriott, so I don't know for certain about that one. Sol y Luna and Libertador, you definitely don't need a converter. Since the local hotels have both type plugs, I would be surprised if a Marriott didn't have the same.

I took this trip in October 2013. You do not need an adapter as US plugs fit in their outlets, but the voltage is all 220v, not 110v. Phones, cameras, tablet, etc. come with their own converters, so no adapter or converter is necessary. But if you have a curling iron or other hair styling appliance, you will need to make sure it is dual voltage. After reading all hotels had 110v on this trip, my friend plugged her 110V curling iron into the outlet at Casa Andina and it promptly burned it up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter