• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Questions for veterans from newbie

Jenntx

Mouseketeer
We are going on our first ever cruise on the DCL Dream Dec 15-19 out of Port Canaveral. My husband & I are taking a short cruise for our anniversary to test the waters of cruising before we take our whole family. I have some questions for you veterans!

I've been reading on here about the Concierge level. We are not going to book now but thought we might check for an upgrade when we check in at the Port. I read that they discount the upgrade. Does any know the approximate upgrade cost @ port? We would try to upgrade to the Con. Fam. OV w/ Verandah.

Also, if we upgrade to Concierge are we setting ourselves up for future cruises to only want to do concierge from now on? Being your first cruise would you just do a regular room (currently booked on a Cat 5E w/ verandah)?? We are quiet/boring :) people, who like to avoid the crowds, so the concierge lounge & sunning deck is appealing to us. Not sure we'd upgrade with our boys- probably only on trips for the two of us.

We are going to stay on the ship on Nassau day. Want to take advantage of the quieter ship. Are we missing out on anything by not getting off?

We are going to try to get reservations at Palo's. Since we are doing an adult only trip we thought we might also try to get reservations at Remy's as well. I'd love to hear from veterans if Remy's is worth the $75 per person? Or would you spend that $150 @ the spa?

The goal of our trip - learning about "cruising" and also want to relax - do as little as possible. Thank so much for your help!! :)

If you do upgrade to concierge, you will have a better chance of getting the reservations at Palo & Remy.

I have not eaten at Remy yet. I would like to try it for the experience but I've looked over the menu and it just doesn't do anything for me. I LOVE Palo. I would do Palo dinner and brunch and spend the remainder in the spa ;)

As far as concierge, I would love to experience it one day. I hate to spoil myself to bad yet though. It sounds just wonderful. I'm just not so sure the cost factor is worth it to me. Maybe we will be able to snag a good deal on a port upgrade.

I have not eaten at Remy yet. I would like to try it for the experience but I've looked over the menu and it just doesn't do anything for me. I LOVE Palo. I would do Palo dinner and brunch and spend the remainder in the spa ;)

As far as concierge, I would love to experience it one day. I hate to spoil myself to bad yet though. It sounds just wonderful. I'm just not so sure the cost factor is worth it to me. Maybe we will be able to snag a good deal on a port upgrade.

I was looking @ Remy's menu and I thought there were things I would like to try but DH is less of an adventurous eater. That's why I want to know opinions of others before spending the extra money. Spa time is actually looking better & better. :)

So it's hard to get reservations at both w/out an upgrade?

Yes, for first time cruisers on a 3 or 4 night cruise the number of available slots are less so by the time your booking window opens most are usually filled. They do keep some for onboard booking. Brunch is really what we enjoy the most at Palo and there is only one sea day on the 4-night, so that is really difficult to get. IDK how Remy goes, but I would expect the same experience.

Yes, for first time cruisers on a 3 or 4 night cruise the number of available slots are less so by the time your booking window opens most are usually filled. They do keep some for onboard booking. Brunch is really what we enjoy the most at Palo and there is only one sea day on the 4-night, so that is really difficult to get. IDK how Remy goes, but I would expect the same experience.

Thanks- for the info. So there is a brunch on the 4 night? Guess I just assumed it was for longer night cruises. That's good to know. Will it help us that we are cruising at a "sorta" slow time to get ressies? Thanks for your help. :)

I was looking @ Remy's menu and I thought there were things I would like to try but DH is less of an adventurous eater. That's why I want to know opinions of others before spending the extra money. Spa time is actually looking better & better. :)

I am not an adventurous eater at all but I really enjoyed my dinner at Remy. There were enough "normal" things for me to choose and my husband got to have the more interesting foods. : )

I have never hard problem getting a reservation for palo but I have always booked super early and never went till I was silver now I'm creeping closer platinum it gets easier as gold. I have never had concierge but will on our next two cruises as for Nassau beside Atlantis there's not much to that island. I would stay on the boat. Heck I stay when we are on castaway with exception of this time we booked concierge to get a cabana on castaway but you have to book those as soon concierge booking is available.

Jenntx said:
So it's hard to get reservations at both w/out an upgrade?

We are first time cruisers for this Sunday 4-night, but I have a reservation at Remy on the night and time I wanted and a Palo brunch on the sea day as well, so it's not hopeless! ;-):-)

I am not an adventurous eater at all but I really enjoyed my dinner at Remy. There were enough "normal" things for me to choose and my husband got to have the more interesting foods. : )

Thanks that is great to know that you were able to enjoy your dinner. I'll let DH know. :)

I have never hard problem getting a reservation for palo but I have always booked super early and never went till I was silver now I'm creeping closer platinum it gets easier as gold. I have never had concierge but will on our next two cruises as for Nassau beside Atlantis there's not much to that island. I would stay on the boat. Heck I stay when we are on castaway with exception of this time we booked concierge to get a cabana on castaway but you have to book those as soon concierge booking is available.

I think the main reason we are staying on the boat on Nassau day is because we want to explore the ship & enjoy it being a little quieter. Might get off next time when our boys are with us. They would love to snorkel and/or swim with dolphins. They have also seen the commercials for Atlantis and think it looks pretty awesome. :)

We will get off at Castaway Cay & hang out in the adult area. Looking forward to that day.

Still not sure about Concierge. I KNOW we would love it!! Just trying to decide if we should just do the room we have (ocean view w/ veranda) and just experience the ship & cruising for the first time? Then on a future adults only trip, upgrade to Concierge? Have something to look forward to instead of feeling we have to have Concierge all the time?

We are first time cruisers for this Sunday 4-night, but I have a reservation at Remy on the night and time I wanted and a Palo brunch on the sea day as well, so it's not hopeless! ;-):-)

Thanks for letting me know! Did you do anything special to get your reservations? Or did you just book on the first day available to book? Just now hearing that on the four day there is the option for Palo's for brunch. Now I have to decide if we want to do Palo's for dinner or brunch. What made you choose brunch or dinner?

Have a wonderful time on your cruise!! :) I would love to read a cruise report when you get back! It would be great to read a first timers report.

Jenntx said:
Thanks for letting me know! Did you do anything special to get your reservations? Or did you just book on the first day available to book? Just now hearing that on the four day there is the option for Palo's for brunch. Now I have to decide if we want to do Palo's for dinner or brunch. What made you choose brunch or dinner?

Have a wonderful time on your cruise!! :) I would love to read a cruise report when you get back! It would be great to read a first timers report.
Didn't have to do anything special at all! Just went in when booking opened, and did it. I didn't even have to use Firefox or anything like that lol (I've read about this somewhere in these threads when I was getting all worried like you about booking). Yeah! They definitely have Palo brunch. I really wanted to try both, so I booked a Remy dinner for my husband and me because it sounds like something intimate and special for me and hubby to do. And a Palo brunch for him, me and my mom, for a more casual feel. I also read reports that Palo brunch is great!
Thanks! Will let you guys know about the experience! I subscribed to this thread so I could let you know for sure!
Will try to do a trip report when we get back :)

In November 2010 we upgraded at the port to concierge (on the Magic 7-night Western from a category six to a one-bedroom suite, the upgrade cost was $1550). Yes, we thoroughly enjoyed it and plan to cruise in concierge again one day...but it has not spoiled regular stateroom cruising for us. I have since sailed in both a verandah stateroom and an inside stateroom since and have not missed the concierge benefits at all.

If you can swing it, go for the splurge!

It all depends on which cruise you are on. I guess we have always ended up with tons of repeat cruisers. Back in 2006 I was on at 3 a.m. ET [back when they opened at that time] and saw my reservations disappear as I was trying to confirm them. I ended up with nothing, but my private room request came through at 30 days so we did end up with a reservation before we boarded.

I've been one on cruise on the Dream, with another coming up in 40 days. I can't answer your questions about the room, but my suggestion RE: the Palo brunch vs. dinner would be to do the brunch. That way, you don't miss any of the nights in the main dining rooms. This is important (at least in my mind) because you get a feel for what's served on the ships so you can plan around your kids' eating habits for when you do cruise with them. I'd save Remy for a night away from the kids on a future cruise ;)

Also, I'd skip any treatments at the spa (manicures, pedicures, massages, etc). I haven't heard great things about the spa treatments and they're nearly double the price of things you can get on dry land. The only thing I'd recommend personally is the Rainforest Room. You can relax at your own pace and escape from the world there, even if only for a little while.

I’ve only done one DCL. And it was five nights.

We opted for Palo brunch because we didn’t want to miss out on any of the dinner menus in the MDR.

So for breakfast we tried the MDR, the buffet and Palos. Palos was wonderful, the buffet was great and the MDR was fine.

I could not get Palos’ ressies online but had no problem getting them on embarkation day.

In November 2010 we upgraded at the port to concierge (on the Magic 7-night Western from a category six to a one-bedroom suite, the upgrade cost was $1550). Yes, we thoroughly enjoyed it and plan to cruise in concierge again one day...but it has not spoiled regular stateroom cruising for us. I have since sailed in both a verandah stateroom and an inside stateroom since and have not missed the concierge benefits at all.

If you can swing it, go for the splurge!

Thanks - very helpful info!! :) I think we will see what is available the day we check in @ port. If it's not crazy expensive we will go for it. Maybe a splurge is in order, as we are celebrating our 18 wedding anniversary. ;)

I've been one on cruise on the Dream, with another coming up in 40 days. I can't answer your questions about the room, but my suggestion RE: the Palo brunch vs. dinner would be to do the brunch. That way, you don't miss any of the nights in the main dining rooms. This is important (at least in my mind) because you get a feel for what's served on the ships so you can plan around your kids' eating habits for when you do cruise with them. I'd save Remy for a night away from the kids on a future cruise ;)

Also, I'd skip any treatments at the spa (manicures, pedicures, massages, etc). I haven't heard great things about the spa treatments and they're nearly double the price of things you can get on dry land. The only thing I'd recommend personally is the Rainforest Room. You can relax at your own pace and escape from the world there, even if only for a little while.

DIS board members are so helpful!! This is great info and helpful for my dining options. Also thanks for the heads up about the Spa. Think we will skip it. Thanks for taking time to answer my questions. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter