• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Questions for those who get sea sick (especially if you have road WDW's ferry boat>

Bonniec

DIS Veteran
One thing I am worried about will be my 18 year old daughter. She doesn't get car sick and loves all thrill rides. But for some reason, she gets really sick when she rides the Ferry boat at WDW. I mean, how do you feel ill on the Ferry Boat?? lol There's no up and down movement!

I have also taken her on the smaller Friendship boats to Wilderness and the one to Poly and she feels much worse on those. She almost threw up when we tested her on those.

So I'm very worried if I can even take her on a cruise. :(

So Im curious if anyone else gets ill on the Ferry boats but does okay on a cruise, or if she is pretty much SOL. What precautions should we take (what pills, where to have the stateroom, etc)? If she DOES get seasick, would it last the whole cruise?

I'd really like for her to go, but wondering if it's even possible.

My dad gets sick on even a carosel, little boats, etc. He is fine on bigger ships.

I would suggest a midship cabin with a window or balcony. I would also have her take one Bonine before you get on the ship in the morning and continue to take one each day. If she starts to feel sick you can add another dose to the evening. If you wait until she is already sick to start the pills they will just not work as well. The patch has bad side effects so I would not do that. If she had no problems with sea sickness before you could wait and see but she has shown strong signs that it might happen. Do not book during hurricane season or the west coast. Rough seas can happen for both of these. On the way back from PV to Long Beach the pool was a wave pool going from knee high to above the head. The kids loved it but many were sick from it.

I get terribly motion sick on pretty much anything that moves (but I love cruising...go figure). I take Bonine every day (according to the directions) and I take a Dramamine at night or when I'm feeling particularly bad (it works better than Bonine, I think, but it makes you sleepy).

I also find ginger gum to be helpful (you can buy it in the pharmacy) and the crew recommends green apple slices (which can be found many places on the ship).

A cabin mid-ship and low is best, although we have had cabins all over the ship and I don't notice that huge of a difference unless it's really rough.

Those bracelets you wear on both wrists for motion sickness are amazing and work wonders. They work by using pressure points. I can't remember the exact name of them but they sell them at walgreens by the dramamine. You should have her get those and test them on a boat!

Those bracelets you wear on both wrists for motion sickness are amazing and work wonders. They work by using pressure points. I can't remember the exact name of them but they sell them at walgreens by the dramamine. You should have her get those and test them on a boat!
sea bands!

wdw_girl_18 said:

I definitely agree with this. DH gets motion sick easily and we were worried about his first cruise last year. He wore those SeaBands (believe that's the brand name) the whole cruise and didn't once feel sick. Since he wore them the whole time I guess we don't really know if they worked or he was just not getting sick but we stuck with them and chose to believe they were the reason he felt good :)

Also, that same name brand also sells ginger gum which I've heard works wonders. At our Walgreens, both of these are sold up by the registers as well as near the pharmacy with the Dramamine

Green jolly ranchers help, too! There's something about green apples as a seasickness remedy - maybe the sourness? Jolly ranchers are easy to carry in your purse/pocket for whenever a wave of nausea hits you. They're also great for morning sickness, lol!

Well, green apples are her second favortie fruit. :) (Pineapple first)

Thanks everyone. One last question. If she took Bonine first, could she still use the prescription patch if needed right after? I will get her the patch just in case but heard side effects can be bad so don't want to use it unless necessary.

Also, does the non drowsy Bonine work just as good?

(Okay, that was two questions. pirate:)

I would talk to the dr about the patch, you need a script for it anyway. I believe you have to start the patch before you board AND you cannot just remove it or the side effects can be worse. Talk to the dr though.

I use the patch. I put it on before we board or right after. You will need a script for it.

I've found that after 4 days my vision starts to get blurry (on a 7 night cruise). It's annoying but since I have really bad eyesight anyway I was fine. I do need to wear the patch for another 2 days after getting off the cruise to get my land legs back.

I would not get the patch. Side effects vary from person to person and you never know...it could ruin the whole cruise.

I do get seasick...even on a huge cruise ship....so I take Meclizine (generic Bonine available at Walmart/Target...sometimes it is behind the counter) and it is very inexpesive....about $6 for 100 pills. It is either chewable or you can swallow it whole...and it is super tiny. I take 2 each evening with dinner starting the night before the cruise....and I haven't gotten seasick in years. One year I did decide to see if I could do without it....and I really regretted it for about 20 hours as I was so sick I missed the 1st sea day of our cruise.

Edit to add: take the Meclizine/Bonine in the evenings before/with dinner....this way you do not notice a feeling of tiredness. Works great for me and many others who I usually cruise with. My sister uses the Seabands, but sometimes they do not work properly as she did not find the correct pressure spot....so you need to fool around with them a bit to see what works best....she also takes Meclizine too.

I have kids that suffer from motion sickness at times. Does anyone know which of these are good for kids?

Do you use the regular Bonine or non drowsy?

I wanted to have the patch as a just in case. I plan to give her the Bonine. But wanted to have the patch handy if the Bonine doesn't work. So I guess what I am asking is, could she put the patch on if she had already taken Bonine and it wasn't helping? The patch would be the last resort.

I'd also like to know about kids just in case. I have a 6 year old and no clue how he will be.

I have kids that suffer from motion sickness at times. Does anyone know which of these are good for kids?

On the bottle for the Meclizine it says Adults and Children 12 and older; under 12 says to ask a doctor

There is a Dramamine for kids.....

Many kids are fine....it's usually not until you get older that your inner ear/vertigo/ ect...starts to bother you. I know my DS5 and DD9 still spin around in circles and laugh....where I would get so sick and nauseous. I have always had the kid's Dramamine on hand....and have thrown away several unopened, expired bottles!

Do you use the regular Bonine or non drowsy?

I wanted to have the patch as a just in case. I plan to give her the Bonine. But wanted to have the patch handy if the Bonine doesn't work. So I guess what I am asking is, could she put the patch on if she had already taken Bonine and it wasn't helping? The patch would be the last resort.

I'd also like to know about kids just in case. I have a 6 year old and no clue how he will be.

I just buy Meclizine which is the main ingredient in Bonine....so I guess it is not the non-drowsy. I would ask your doctor about the patch as you need a prescription anyway. I have always been afraid to use it as I have heard scary stories from people who have used it....while others have been fine.

I pretty much get the listed side effects from every med out there. No joke. Some have even put me in the ER. I was scared to try the patch but did it anyway on our 4 day last year because I have nausea issues on dry land let alone on water. I did have bonine with me just in case though. The patch really helped me and for once in my life I got zero of the side effects. :confused3 If you do use it though, make sure to watch your hands really, really well after applying.

My educated guess is if that the bonine isn't working...wait until the time of the next recommended dose for the bonine to put the patch on. You'd want all of the bonine out of her system before the patch's meds kick in so it's not overloading her system. I'm definitely not a doctor so you'd want to ask your doctor or pharmacist to confirm that thought (when you get the script from them) but that would be my best guest as far as switching from one to the other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter