• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Questions for early Alaskan cruisers!

all 3 hd stores are within easy walk, no sale items, T's are $30, but they are pretty unique graphics
hd in skagway is straight up broadway, if i remember correctly corner broadway & 7th

juneau, turn left, it's half block past red dog saloon

ketchikan, 2nd floor of the miners store, hd logo is on the building, it's right on the corner of the street where busses turn left for the lumberjack show, maybe 1 short block away from show back towards docks

we did excursions in all 3 ports and still had time even with lumberjack show in ketchikan to get the T shirt trifecta, one from each

lighthouses eagles and totems, juneau, excellent tour, plenty of eagles and nests, 1 interesting island lighthouse, totems at totem bight state park, this is a boat tour. nice snacks, restrooms (2) on the boat, 2 decks to view from, although upper deck is best if nice day

o you use a tripod or monopod for some of them?
Any special settings? or filters used?
I was on the repo cruise and took my tripod with me. Worked at times but sometimes I just couldn't use it because there were too many people around. We are doing Alaska in July and wonder do I bring it again and the monopod...or just one or none? Any thoughts?

in answer to this, i brought a tripod and head, and used it for exactly 2 shots, the night shots in victoria, would have been 3 but i was just too tired to go back into stanley park for a vancouver skyline, if i were doing another alaskan cruise, i would leave all mono and tripods home, not needed, especially if you have systems with VR, IS, OS whatever system you have calls their stabilizer systems. that plus using good technique should get you plenty of good shots
gear on this trip for me was 2 systems
canon 5dmk2, plus 24-105, and the new 70-300 L lenses
panasonic lumix g1, plus 20mm f1.7, 7-14 f4, 14-45 f4.5-5.6, 45-200 f4.5-5.6
about half my shots were with each system, perhaps a few more with the g1, over on my site it's easy to tell, the canon shots all have a 4 digit file number, the panasonics all start with P and have about a 7 digit number
it was as much for me to learn the g1 as anything as that M4/3 system will be my future travel setup due to compact size and weight, g1 plus 4 lenses, charger and spare battery weighs less than 5d body alone

all my shots have the exif data available for viewing, just click on show detail in upper right corner, i brought filters but never used them, if i ever do another alaskan cruise i might forego shore excursions to do some blue and gold filter work, although sunset in the evening while sailing might have great potential for that type of filter

o you use a tripod or monopod for some of them?
Any special settings? or filters used?
Thanks for the person that asked and the one that answered. We have been thinking the same thing about what to bring and what to leave home.

NW

Agreed didn't see the need.....but if there are already ships at the dock then I am guessing our ship will have to anchor and we would have to tender? Like at Ketchikan there appears to be only three places for ships to dock...what if there are four there at a time?

I can't find that darn link that tells you which ships will be in port on the dates you will....

Look on the first page of this thread at the second post. It lists the ports and the ships that are in port.

Agreed didn't see the need.....but if there are already ships at the dock then I am guessing our ship will have to anchor and we would have to tender? Like at Ketchikan there appears to be only three places for ships to dock...what if there are four there at a time?

I can't find that darn link that tells you which ships will be in port on the dates you will....

Here is the link to port schedules.http://www.experienceketchikan.com/cruise-ship-calendar.html
There are times when there are up to 5 ships in port in Juneau and ketchikan and up to 3 ships in Skagway.

In Juneau, the dock the Wonder is at is about 1 mile from town but Disney has free shuttle service.
In Skagway the dock Disney Wonder is at is at the end of the main street and the town is very small and very easy to walk around.
In Ketchikan the dock is not right at the main dock but out a bit but very walkable to town as it is small as well.

. I booked the "DCL exclusive" LB show on the LB show website on my own for less than what DCL was charging, btw. You pick your tickets up inside the gift shop. Seating is first come.
I just booked the "DCL exclusive" Lumberjack show through their website. It saved us 37.50 since we could book our DD12 as a child instead of an adult. I was surprised it would let us do it, but it did. You had no problems picking up the tickets though?

It's not done by Disney, but we really like the Duck Tours. That might be a thought for Ketchikan:

http://www.akduck.com/
We have that booked also.We've done the Ducks tour here in Seattle before and really enjoyed it!

two to add to the list

1. Has anyone done, or is scheduled to do this excursion? I would love to hear about it!

Enchanted Taku Glacier Lodge Flight and Feast

2. Are they offering any special Alaska/Pacific Northwest Microbrewery beers on board draft or bottle? That will impact what we bring with us. :rotfl: I'd love a list of both.

Thanks!

We had friends on the ship that did that and said it was great!

It's not done by Disney, but we really like the Duck Tours. That might be a thought for Ketchikan:

http://www.akduck.com/

Disney does offer a tour that includes the Saxman village. On our cruise, they combined it with the Saxman village/Lumber jack show tour. We went to Saxman village, watched a video about its history, watch native dancers, learned about the totem poles and then watched a carver. Our bus driver did the narrative about the totem pole history. I think someone mentioned her earlier in this thread - she (Tic Tac) was really, really good. After the tour of Saxman, Tic Tac dropped everyone at the Lumber jack show and those who weren't doing the lumber jack portion could wait for the shuttle to the ship or walk back. I'm not sure that for future cruises these tours would be combined - my mom said that she got a call that the tour was canceled (we didn't). We did get a call that the time was changed.

Pam

Based on the Navigators posted for the first AK cruise, it looks like on Sea Days there are 2 buffets available (Parrot Cay and BBB) for lunch.

I know they serve the same "menu" before sail-away, but are the exactly the same on the sea-days, or do they have different offerings?

TIA

I haven't read this whole thread, but one of the best tips we ever got before heading to Alaska was to waterproof our shoes and our jeans. We bought waterproofing spray at Cabela's. We had heavy rain one day and our jeans stayed dry with the waterproofing! We already have our spray purchased for our cruise in August. Hopefully we won't need the waterproofing but if we do, I'll be comfortable knowing that our jeans are sprayed and ready to go.

I haven't read this whole thread, but one of the best tips we ever got before heading to Alaska was to waterproof our shoes and our jeans. We bought waterproofing spray at Cabela's. We had heavy rain one day and our jeans stayed dry with the waterproofing! We already have our spray purchased for our cruise in August. Hopefully we won't need the waterproofing but if we do, I'll be comfortable knowing that our jeans are sprayed and ready to go.

Did it smell, make the clothes smell, or change the look or feel of the jeans?

canon 5dmk2, plus 24-105, and the new 70-300 L lenses

OOOH! -- I love a good tangent! How are you liking the 70-300? Is it a push/pull zoom?

Did you find that you were generally having adequate light without having to crank the ISO or were you forced to make compromises due to light levels?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Thanks for the duck tour option. There are two departures after we dock available and the cost is $38 pp(adult) $24 pp (child)

I also realized my post was a little misleading--we like Duck Tours in general, but our first Alaska Duck Tour will be in August. It looks like fun, though, and we are signed up.

Look on the first page of this thread at the second post. It lists the ports and the ships that are in port.

Here is the link to port schedules.http://www.experienceketchikan.com/cruise-ship-calendar.html
There are times when there are up to 5 ships in port in Juneau and ketchikan and up to 3 ships in Skagway.

In Juneau, the dock the Wonder is at is about 1 mile from town but Disney has free shuttle service.
In Skagway the dock Disney Wonder is at is at the end of the main street and the town is very small and very easy to walk around.
In Ketchikan the dock is not right at the main dock but out a bit but very walkable to town as it is small as well.

Thanks - oh boy for our trip we will have 4 ships in port in Skagway (lots of people!), 3 ships in Juneau and ...drum roll 5 ships in Ketchikan! OMG lots of people walking around Skagway and Ketchikan....

Thanks for sharing...now I may just go ahead and book the excursions through the cruise line.

Did it smell, make the clothes smell, or change the look or feel of the jeans?

It smelled when sprayed on the jeans but my DH did that outside and let them dry out there, too. Once sprayed and dry, I couldn't tell you that they had been waterproofed. Until it rained and they didn't get wet!

It smelled when sprayed on the jeans but my DH did that outside and let them dry out there, too. Once sprayed and dry, I couldn't tell you that they had been waterproofed. Until it rained and they didn't get wet!

Hmmm could be hand for splash mountain. Lmao

I just booked the "DCL exclusive" Lumberjack show through their website. It saved us 37.50 since we could book our DD12 as a child instead of an adult. I was surprised it would let us do it, but it did. You had no problems picking up the tickets though?

We have that booked also.We've done the Ducks tour here in Seattle before and really enjoyed it!

No problem with the tickets. They had them in a folder behind the counter in the gift shop. I did bring my paypal receipt, but didn't need it. Just told them my name.

Has anyone done the Rainforest Island Adventure excursion in Ketchikan? If so, how was it? Looking for an active excursion a 5 year old can do too.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter